Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chemistry I and Physics I with LAB SL
Hello ,

I'm planning on taking chemistry Iw/lab and Physics Iw/lab with straighterline for TESU credits. Has anyone taken these classes? Did you have any issues transferring the credits over to TESU? Thanks !
I have not taken them myself but others here have. The most important thing (especially right now) is to order the required kits and wait for them to arrive before paying for and starting the courses. If the kits aren't out of stock, it could take a couple of weeks for them to get to you.

Transferring from SL to TESU is easy. You put the courses on your ACE transcript and away you go. Equivalencies can be found here in case you were worried: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/
SL Chem course was downgraded and doesn't meet the requirements for TESU BS programs anymore. It now transfers as CHE-101 which is unusable for certain degree requirements. For example my BS degree required a transfer in as Chem 111/112 or 121/122. CHE 101 is a useless survey level course.

Study.com Chem was also downgraded to CHE-101 at the end of August. I just ended up having to take 2 - 8 week community college courses since their isn't a viable option through alternative credits anymore for Chemistry. I tried to rush through the Study.com course before the downgrade date, but they had no lab kits (as previously mentioned by Rachel) so I couldn't complete it in time. I "think" the PHYS through Study.com is still usable (for now), but could be changing as well. Check with TESU before taking any of these as there have been lots of changes to the online Science class approvals lately.

So, it depends on what exactly you are trying to use it for. Check with your program for what you need first. The courses you mention likely only count as an elective now and do not meet the degree requirement. If you are in the BA or BSBA programs, (my information may be incorrect for you). I do not know about their requirements.
Ouch, if that's the case, then you could take ASU EA's CHM 114 - General Chemistry for Engineers as that should transfer in as CHE 121 w/lab.

There are proably CC courses that are a better option, though, because ASU's chemistry isn't available again until January. And it's an 8-week course that includes a LOT of work. You have to do assignments every day or you'll fall behind in the class. If you can't find any other options, taking SDC's physics first would be a good way to prepare for ASU's chemistry. They immediately dive into quantum mechanics and you'll save a lot of time if you can skip the videos and just do the ALICE work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • CableGuy98
This is what I had to do. My local community college offered 8 week courses (online) with lab kit and books included for $300. I made sure to get them pre-approved and put in my transcript eval before taking them to be sure they would transfer correctly. These classes are a lot of work and time, so make sure they will work beforehand. I have read some horror stories on here over the past year of people taking these alternative credit science/lab courses and TESU not accepting them as equivalents. So they had to do them over at community college anyway.

Also FYI, if you plan to go to graduate school in any Science field, alternative credit science/lab courses will almost definitely not be accepted for pre-requisites. At least that's what I have found so far researching grad schools.
(09-09-2020, 09:06 AM)rpmranger Wrote: SL Chem course was downgraded and doesn't meet the requirements for TESU BS programs anymore. It now transfers as CHE-101 which is unusable for certain degree requirements. For example my BS degree required a transfer in as  Chem 111/112 or 121/122. CHE 101 is a useless survey level course.

Study.com Chem was also downgraded to CHE-101 at the end of August. I just ended up having to take 2 - 8 week community college courses since their isn't a viable option through alternative credits anymore for Chemistry. I tried to rush through the Study.com course before the downgrade date, but they had no lab kits (as previously mentioned by Rachel) so I couldn't complete it in time. I "think" the PHYS through Study.com is still usable (for now), but could be changing as well. Check with TESU before taking any of these as there have been lots of changes to the online Science class approvals lately.

So, it depends on what exactly you are trying to use it for. Check with your program for what you need first. The courses you mention likely only count as an elective now and do not meet the degree requirement. If you are in the BA or BSBA programs, (my information may be incorrect for you). I do not know about their requirements.

Do you if TESU will take the physics SL I w/ lab?
(09-09-2020, 01:48 PM)bingo1 Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 09:06 AM)rpmranger Wrote: SL Chem course was downgraded and doesn't meet the requirements for TESU BS programs anymore. It now transfers as CHE-101 which is unusable for certain degree requirements. For example my BS degree required a transfer in as  Chem 111/112 or 121/122. CHE 101 is a useless survey level course.

I don't. I didn't ask them about that one. What program are you trying to use them for?
(09-09-2020, 01:50 PM)rpmranger Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 01:48 PM)bingo1 Wrote:

I don't. I didn't ask them about that one. What program are you trying to use them for?
Aviation Maintenance Technology
Ok, so we have basically the same requirements so you will have the same problem as I did for Chemistry. I am finishing up Technical Studies this Fall, which is similar. I would email TESU and ask if that specific S/L PHYS will still fill the AVIAT MX degree requirement and ask them about the PHYS 111/112 at study.com if they have been re-certified or not.

I got this reply recently about study.com PHYS:
"Study.com's Physics111 has a review end date of 9/1/2020 and would transfer to TESU as PHY-113 General Physics I (3SH) if the course was successfully completed and the date indicated on the study.com transcript is 9/1/2020 or prior. A new review of the study.com course is pending so an equivalency for after the 9/1/2020 end date has not yet been determined".

They did not re-certify their CHEM for equivalency in the latest review, so I did not want to risk it with PHYS pending. These classes are the biggest obstacle to the BS degree at TESU. Most people do community college with a lab or find an approved online program then take TESU online labs. For me, the whole 4 credits each at CC was cheaper than just one TESU lab cost. Rio Salado CC is a popular online choice on this forum for these classes because they have rolling starts, every week I think. If you happen to be in the Dallas area, Dallas CC offers all the Science courses you need fully online (8 week courses) at $68/cr.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rpmranger's post:
  • CableGuy98
Yeah, doing everything from StraighterLine would be easiest. I've done all my sciences with them... the ones with the labs that is, and the remainder of the ones without labs, I did a few from Study.com, they've got the science courses as well.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • samiam

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemistry Course YehudisS 16 1,982 10-01-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: YehudisS
  Calc based Physics needed Hometeacher628 14 1,842 09-14-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Self paced physics I and II with lab dustyflyer 8 2,617 09-12-2022, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Hometeacher628
  Has anyone taken TEL Chemistry 1 + Lab? DIGI-212 3 871 10-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Liberty University Online BS in Physics and BS Civil Engineering armstrongsubero 2 1,739 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM
  Organic Chemistry class indigoshuffle 3 1,373 03-15-2021, 12:52 AM
  Physics and Mathematics online self-paced college courses for credit sciencemathematics1 0 1,247 03-03-2020, 12:46 AM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  BS general studies with physics concentration: Worth less than a physics major? sciencemathematics1 20 4,486 02-11-2020, 11:57 PM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  Chemistry CLEP Exam Scoring JohnnyHeck 2 1,761 03-23-2019, 10:26 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  UExcel Physics mtompkins 4 2,197 03-23-2019, 05:43 AM
Last Post: megasscholar