Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone know if you can claim test fees on taxes?
wow.. I never meant to upset you. For the record I am just as confused about the education tax credits as anyone. I did not know the answer when I asked you my question. ( you can see that my original post was edited )

After I asked, I started looking the information up online to help the original poster and others.

I never said your accountant did illegal things. Even accountants make mistakes and unfortunately their clients are the ones who end up paying for them.

Again, for the record, I was not attacking you or your accountant, I am sorry if you read it that way.

My only intention when I post here is to help others , and to learn myself.

Peace123
Last year my taxes were prepared by a well-known national preparer- they said I could deduct not only the clep test fees, but also the books that I bought to study from (even second-hand ones), as long as I kept the receipts (from ebay, amazon, etc.). Even if you only spend 3 or 4 dollars apiece, it adds up$$$.
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" Clairee in "Steel Magnolias"
BA General Studies COSC 5/31/15
COSC Cornerstone A 10/2013, Capstone A 11/2014
UExel- Social Psych A, Psych of A and A- A, Research Methods/Psych B, Pathophysiology A.
FEMA- 27, NFA-Q118, Q 534, Q137 and Q318
Clep- 2008 Humanities 75, 2009 Intro Sociology 67, US History I 69, US History II 61, American Lit. 71, Analyze & Int. Lit. 75, 2011 Western Civ. ll 58, Social Science 67
DSST-2010 HTYH 463, Ethics in America 433, Sub. Abuse 444, 2011 Art of the Western World 67, Civil War and Recon. 58, Org. Behavior 64, 2010 Env. and Humanity 68, Hist. of the Vietnam War 76, 2011 Intro World Religions 451, 2013 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Technical Writing 60, Business Ethics and Society 449.
TEEX- 2013 Cyber Security classes x 3
DACC and IU: Speech, Psych, Rhetoric, Creative Writing
bricabrac Wrote:Peace,

And for the record my accountant does not do anything illegal. Geez, how did this turn into an attack on me and my accountant.

Ok, ordinarily I wouldn't comment about something like this because I don't like adding fuel to a fire; however, if this comment has Peace123 questioning whether or not he is offensive to anyone on the board then I feel that I must respond.

I think you are off base here, bricabrac. I re-read the responses regarding taxes and do not see any "attack" on you or your accountant. Lighten up. At no point did anyone accuse your accountant of impropriety or any other misconduct.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]Thomas Edison State College BSBA - 6/10
Excelsior College BS Liberal Arts - 9/10

Amberton MBA - 12/13 [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
jadechow Wrote:Ok, ordinarily I wouldn't comment about something like this because I don't like adding fuel to a fire; however, if this comment has Peace123 questioning whether or not he is offensive to anyone on the board then I feel that I must respond.

I think you are off base here, bricabrac. I re-read the responses regarding taxes and do not see any "attack" on you or your accountant. Lighten up. At no point did anyone accuse your accountant of impropriety or any other misconduct.

Wow, now another one...you should reread the posts with open eyes instead of feeling you need to defend someone's honor. These are the comments I was referring to. In my world defense, penalties and audits are incriminating. I was actually answering a question asked by the OP. I agreed with Lindagerr's post and all of a sudden I become the one who needs a lesson in tax law/code. If you read the post fully you would see I innocently responded to peace by saying I did not know the answer to his question and then this post came through. If it was not personal, why are you quoting my posts...Funny, there was never a reference made to the post I agreed with. I have only tried to lend my experience or some information I just found out to help others and again I am getting called out for it?

Good day.

Originally Posted by peace123
As a former state tax collector I will just add the following advice :

"ignorance of the tax law is not a defense"

"even if you pay someone to prepare your return, ultimately any tax and penalties owed because of an audit are your responsibility, not your prepares/ Accountants"...so it is wise to
learn about these credits if your preparer/Accountant has you claim the education credits on your return.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Hi bricabrac,

I used to prepare taxes and I found a lot of clients didn't realize the truth of those 2 comments of peace123. When I read it, it just seemed like he was warning you to beware. I think your comment about relying on the accountant prompted him to remind all of us that we have to back up the professional's expertise with some research. In fact it seemed to me that he was telling you that you were on the right track.

It is so hard to know on these posts what someone's intention or tone is. I think he really thought he was helping you out.

Just my thoughts looking in from the outside.

cate
BS (UMUC) in 2010, 30+ years in the making!!

Intro to Computing 63
Astronomy 63
Technical Writing 62
Principles of Mgt 71
Principles of Marketing 68
Substance Abuse 467
College Math 56
Principles of Finance 425
Principles of Statistics 458

Exams: ALL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

GRADUATION--UMUC--MAY 15, 2010 (unbelievable)
categ Wrote:Hi bricabrac,

I used to prepare taxes and I found a lot of clients didn't realize the truth of those 2 comments of peace123. When I read it, it just seemed like he was warning you to beware. I think your comment about relying on the accountant prompted him to remind all of us that we have to back up the professional's expertise with some research. In fact it seemed to me that he was telling you that you were on the right track.

It is so hard to know on these posts what someone's intention or tone is. I think he really thought he was helping you out.

Just my thoughts looking in from the outside.

Categ,

Thank you for speaking to me rather than at me...and I see your point.

Best,
bb

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I just wanted to say , I am a "she" not a "he"..It seems in online forums I often get referred to as a he, lol.

Categ, Thank you for expressing my intent so eloquently.

Bricabrac, again I am sorry if my words caused you to feel attacked.

Peace123
peace123 Wrote:I just wanted to say , I am a "she" not a "he"..It seems in online forums I often get referred to as a he, lol.

Categ, Thank you for expressing my intent so eloquently.

Bricabrac, again I am sorry if my words caused you to feel attacked.

Peace123

Peace,

Thanks, I totally misunderstood your posts. I'm sorry this went so badly myself. BTW, I thought you were a she and was again confused when the other poster referred to you as a he. But I'm new to this forum and thought they would know best. BTW, I'm also a "she". The first round is on me, choose your poison! I'm having a whiskey sour! cheersmate

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Thanks, I totally misunderstood your posts. I'm sorry this went so badly myself. BTW, I thought you were a she and was again confused when the other poster referred to you as a he. But I'm new to this forum and thought they would know best. BTW, I'm also a "she". The first round is on me, choose your poison! I'm having a whiskey sour! cheersmate

Glad you guys...I mean gals cleared up your misunderstandings. Just to clarify I'm a "he". I guess our usernames aren't gender specific.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010

The first round is on me, choose your poison! I'm having a whiskey sour! cheersmate

Make mine A Shirley Temple !!!cheersmate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Speed Reading Test. NOBODY Can Pass Level 10 LevelUP 0 601 04-10-2023, 12:27 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Do You Have ADHD? Here's A Test LevelUP 7 957 02-08-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Problems posting test scores sparky134 0 595 05-25-2021, 07:46 PM
Last Post: sparky134
  Physics GRE Subject Test Does Not Predict PhD Completion sanantone 10 2,379 02-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Is there a time limit when completing your clep test? Clarebugg 12 4,274 12-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: desireelws50
  DSST Test center open on Sundays in Maryland subhuman 0 1,162 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: subhuman
  Saturday Test Center in MD? subhuman 1 1,137 03-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Last Post: a4tunatemom
  "U.S. millennials post ‘abysmal’ scores in tech skills test, lag behind foreign peers lavagirl 30 5,684 03-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  2014 Taxes Scholarships and Grants videogamesrock 2 858 01-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Major Change in Career Test Results sanantone 6 1,592 01-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: sanantone