Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wondering if my plan is good...
Extremely helpful ... all this information is amazing... I'll look it over in detail tonight and see which pathway is better for me. I can't thank you all enough.
My daughter is thinking about becoming a nurse, so I decided to start the research myself a few weeks ago (we homeschool). I'm only just starting (she's 13, I have some time), but here's where I am: The main issue in CA that I can see, is that you have to get accepted into a program. I have no idea what it's like where you live, but here in Escondido (North Inland San Diego County), our local community college has 30-36 slots each year. Yep, a maximum of 36 people get into the program each YEAR. That means that if you went through and got your AA in General Studies or Biology, you would still have a VERY hard time getting accepted into the program due to the severely restricted enrollment number. Yes, there are other community colleges around here, but they also have small programs. And, again, that's after you've gotten your AA. Once you're in a program, you have to be available to work basically full-time for free for 4 semesters.

I have no idea how to become an LVN, except that you need 1500+ hours under direct supervision of an RN, which seems like a lot of (unpaid?) hours to qualify for something that you won't make a ton of money as ($14-$24 per hour is the listed salary range AFTER you become an LVN). Then you still have to finish the LVN-RN bridge program (2 semesters of unpaid work).

My advice would be to take the most direct path towards what you want to do. It seems unnecessarily complicated to become an RN, then change completely over to another program later. Why take the longer route? And what happens if you don't get accepted into a nursing program (possibly because they figure out that your ultimate goal is not to become a nurse)? I personally would never waste my time like that. It's hard enough to get a degree in something that you actually WANT to do, I can't imagine getting one in something that I DON'T want to do!!

Just my 2 cents...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I have this thought it the back of my head that says wait ... wait until I 100% know before I invest a crap load of money and time into a degree I have no passion for. And at this point I'm thinking of listening to that little voice... But who knows for how long!

I agree with your point Jennifer that doing the numbers ... and when it comes to the two medical fields , nursing is more respected and also highly open. As an acupuncturist it'd be all up to me to start my clinic / spa and earn from there.

I agree with you dfrecore , the investment in time seems longer than most and a lot of free work. But I think most medical schools do the same thing but with less hours I think.

I have a worry that I'll get my acupuncturist credentials and end up having a career that won't cover the money I've invested. But I'd have something I was passionate about ; is passion worth more than money.

For years I've put writing before everything because it's been a passion but it hasn't answered my need for money . I mean at one point we were in a homeless shelter simply because we couldn't afford any place to live. Would my passion for poking people with needles do the same thing to our family?

I need to really think about this...

I'm going to work towards getting a general degree with one of the big three instead of a biology degree and go from there. If I need more classes ; I'll take them as needed. For now I've got to study for three test and aim to past all of them.

I can't thank you all enough. My mind is swimming with options and it's nice to have an open idea for something without being so rushed on it.

Thanks.

Chimica
sweetcrabhoney Wrote:I have this thought it the back of my head that says wait ... wait until I 100% know before I invest a crap load of money and time into a degree I have no passion for. And at this point I'm thinking of listening to that little voice... But who knows for how long!

Your little voice is very wise. Smile
What I recommend to everyone is to chose general education requirements wisely. Need to take a sociology course in order to graduate? Most people do. So take introduction to sociology or CLEP it because most nursing schools require it. Need to take a psyc course? Take intro to psyc. Need a second psyc course? Take lifespan psyc. Need a communications course? Take introduction to speech communication or public speaking. More nursing schools require the former instead of the latter. Need a math? Take statistics. If you ever decide to go to nursing school, you'll only need to take the required science courses if you've chosen your general distribution courses well. You want to take courses that will maximize your options for the future.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 407 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,586 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 972 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness "plan" LevelUP 2 811 07-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 1,073 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  UMass Global plan expansion! bjcheung77 1 867 07-16-2022, 12:36 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tuition-Free College Movement Gains Momentum, Despite Biden’s Stalled Plan LevelUP 6 1,824 03-06-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is it a good idea to step into cybersecurity domain after graduting from management? rishu 7 1,286 01-06-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UNC’s $97 Million Plan bjcheung77 4 1,128 12-13-2021, 12:51 PM
  Is it a good idea? jb88 22 2,902 06-18-2021, 08:19 PM