Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will TESU ever change how a course has been labeled when it came in?
I need to fulfill my Information Literacy requirement. I have previously taken Global Literature 2 and Comparative Religions. They are both lower level classes.

I looked under what TESU accepts and I noticed Non-Western Literature and World Religions. They're both Upper Level classes but I didn't really pay attention to that. I was hoping Global Literature 2 would count and I emailed asking if it could be moved. I was told no because it came in as Literature-218 and Lit-218 cannot be used there. I didn't ask about Comparative Religions, but it came in PHIL 110. It was considered a philosophy class where I took it. The whole class was an in-depth look at many different religions.

Is there any way TESU would ever make an exception and accept one of these classes or change the way their labeled? I know they're not Upper Level but the Information Literacy requirement doesn't necessarily have to be. And if so, how would I go about it? Would I email again or make an appointment to talk to an advisor?

It's not a big deal if it can't. I'll use Study.com's Information Literacy course. (I know CLEP is free but it wouldn't be convenient to get to the location.)

Thank-you in advance!
Information Literacy is a bit of a weird one because a lot of times courses that are similar to ones that they will take for the requirement are not accepted because it has less to do with the content of the course and more to do with specific features of it (or at least, specific features of TESU's version of it). For example, LIT-292 (Analyzing and Interpreting Literature II) counts for this requirement, while the almost identically named LIT-291 (Analyzing and Interpreting Literature II) doesn't. This could be why Comparative Religions doesn't count, but World Religions does. Especially since one has a REL prefix and one has a PHIL prefix. UL vs LL shouldn't make a difference.

That being said, it's worth asking about whether Comparative Religions can be moved to that spot. I would imagine an advising call would be the way to go, but I'm not totally certain.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(12-06-2018, 11:29 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Information Literacy is a bit of a weird one because a lot of times courses that are similar to ones that they will take for the requirement are not accepted because it has less to do with the content of the course and more to do with specific features of it (or at least, specific features of TESU's version of it). For example, LIT-292 (Analyzing and Interpreting Literature II) counts for this requirement, while the almost identically named LIT-291 (Analyzing and Interpreting Literature II) doesn't. This could be why Comparative Religions doesn't count, but World Religions does. Especially since one has a REL prefix and one has a PHIL prefix. UL vs LL shouldn't make a difference.

That being said, it's worth asking about whether Comparative Religions can be moved to that spot. I would imagine an advising call would be the way to go, but I'm not totally certain.

Thank-you! I will try.
So this is something that can potentially happen. Contacting them and asking/requesting if a course can be applied somewhere else and providing reasons to substantiate your side(maybe a course syllabus) may result in them accommodating you. Every situation is different and every person you deal with will be different. I spoke with them about how some of my military transcripts came in and they were not able to take one of the courses that I wanted them to but they were able to get approval from the applicable Dean to allow a course to apply somewhere they hadn't originally applied it. I don't know how flexible they would be for those courses but it doesn't hurt to try.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(12-06-2018, 11:43 AM)MNomadic Wrote: So this is something that can potentially happen. Contacting them and asking/requesting if a course can be applied somewhere else and providing reasons to substantiate your side(maybe a course syllabus) may result in them accommodating you. Every situation is different and every person you deal with will be different. I spoke with them about how some of my military transcripts came in and they were not able to take one of the courses that I wanted them to but they were able to get approval from the applicable Dean to allow a course to apply somewhere they hadn't originally applied it. I don't know how flexible they would be for those courses but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thank-you! That is what I did. I said what the course was about and I included the course description from the website. I explained that there is no Religion department at the college I attended so it was placed under the Philosophy department. 
You're right. It can't hurt to try.
I was able to do something like this for one course by emailing TESU the course description from the UCSB catalog. I had to contact UCSB to get it because it was an older course that no longer appeared in their catalog. But they sent it to me and then I sent it to TESU.

Having said that, it wasn't for the same requirement that you're talking about. It was a course that TESU originally brought over and didn't even put anywhere on my transcript. They stuck it in that section down below. I forget what that sections called. But I was able to have the course moved up into my general education somewhere. I can't remember where now.

They gave the course a new prefix when they did this.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
(12-07-2018, 09:17 AM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: They stuck it in that section down below. I forget what that sections called.

Ah, the dreaded "Other Courses" - where credits go to waste away Sad
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 458 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 433 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 447 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,268 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 248 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,183 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 228 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 357 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 295 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 271 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27