Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which school for CS?
For computer science..what school would allow you to finish quicker/cheaper ?

WGU vs TESU ?

Looking for a CS degree, but dont know which one to pick

Also, TESU is a BA whereas WGU is a BS..does that make a hiring difference?

Thanks Smile
Do you already have experience with programming and other CS concepts? That's one of the biggest factors to take into account here because if you don't already know a decent amount, acceleration via quickly testing out of classes won't be able to help you much.

WGU, you can only transfer in up to ~90 credits so those final 30+ credits would need to be completed at WGU and to maximize money savings you'd have to do them in a single term(which is doable depending on your time/dedication/prior knowledge/experience/aptitude).

With TESU, you can transfer in all but 2-3 classes so it allows you to pace yourself a bit more with alternative credit sources(though you do need to get a certain amount of RA credits).
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • awildstudentappeared
(09-30-2021, 07:52 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Do you already have experience with programming and other CS concepts? That's one of the biggest factors to take into account here because if you don't already know a decent amount, acceleration via quickly testing out of classes won't be able to help you much.

WGU, you can only transfer in up to ~90 credits so those final 30+ credits would need to be completed at WGU and to maximize money savings you'd have to do them in a single term(which is doable depending on your time/dedication/prior knowledge/experience/aptitude).

With TESU, you can transfer in all but 2-3 classes so it allows you to pace yourself a bit more with alternative credit sources(though you do need to get a certain amount of RA credits).

Not experienced in CS at all, still a beginner lol. So pretty much if i chose TESU, i would only play for those 2-3 Classes ? 

Also, whats your opinion on the Bachelors of Arts CS degree vs the Bachelor of Science CS degree that Id get at tesu ?..i kinda think we all know the WGU one sounds nicer but wondering if it makes a difference in employability
Correct, if you choose TESU, you only need to pay for the cornerstone and capstone through them, though you may want to do a few cheap TECEPs.

BA vs BS largely doesn't matter.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(09-30-2021, 08:19 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Correct, if you choose TESU, you only need to pay for the cornerstone and capstone through them, though you may want to do a few cheap TECEPs.

BA vs BS largely doesn't matter.

Ahh i see... just checked their TECEPs for the computer science program, they only seem to have it for the Network Technology course.
Ofc this would mean i would have to get the rest of the credits elsewhere..are there resources that have computer science courses? I already know of study.com and straighterline and sophia and saylor...just wondering if there were sites with a more cs focus  ? (that are as affordable as these sites) 

And in your opinion, is there a reason why WGU might be the better option ?
Thanks so much !
ave you looked into Oregon state university?

I know SNHU also has a CS program.
Also regarding TESU, you can do the whole program through them.. you don’t have to seek outside credits correct?

I pm’d you
With TESU, you CAN transfer in everything. However, it can actually save you money if you take a certain number of courses with the school.

Typical costs:
15 credits from TEL Learning: $1000
3 credits for Network Technology TECEP: $225
6 credits for English Comp TECEPs: $300
6 credits @ TESU for capstone/cornerstone: $3144
21 credits from Study.com (approximate): $400
69 credits from Sophia.org: $250 (or less)
Residency waiver fee for NOT taking at least 16 credits at TESU: $3192
-----
Approximate total cost: $8511

Cost with a 16 credit term:
9 credits from TEL Learning: $600
6 credits for English Comp TECEPs: $300
16 credits @ TESU (Includes capstone, cornerstone, CIS-351 Software Engineering, CIS-107 Computer Concepts and Applications (ePack), ART-100 or another easy class, PLA-100): $4639
21 credits from Study.com (approximate): $400
About 70 credits from Sophia.org: $250 (or less)
No residency waiver fee: $0
------------
Approximate total cost: $6188

Actual costs may be slightly higher or lower depending on exactly how long it takes you to go through some of the courses. You can also use slightly cheaper or slightly more expensive courses, depending on your preferences. For instance, courses from Olivet Nazarine are $50/credit instead of TEL's $66/credit. Or you might want a class or two from ASU instead of ONU; ASU costs $425 for each successfully completed class. Taking Calculus from StraighterLine costs a bit more than some of the other options but may be easier due to the way it's structured.

To plan out a TESU degree, check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan and also https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

WGU has something kind of similar here: https://partners.wgu.edu/ While you can theoretically transfer in up to 90 credits to a WGU degree, the lack of gen ed credits and electives plus limited transfers available means that you're realistically looking at only being able to transfer in about 80 credits out of 122 to a WGU Comp Sci degree.

(10-01-2021, 12:51 AM)supreme1995_a Wrote: ave you looked into Oregon state university?

I know SNHU also has a CS program.
Also regarding  TESU, you can do the whole program through them.. you don’t have to seek outside credits correct?

I pm’d you

No, if you don't transfer in outside credits, then a comp sci degree becomes approximately $50-60k and takes 3-5 years to complete. If you transfer in all credits to TESU, you can be done with one of their degrees in 6-12 months.

As stated in another thread, it makes more sense to save time and money by going to TESU and then spend that on a Master's degree instead of only being able to get a Bachelor's degree for the same time/money investment costs.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
Yea I agree. Way cheaper with TESU.. degree may not hold same “value” even though this field doesn’t seem to really care about where anyways unless it’s MIT.. regardless, you can add that masters in and top it off. How long is a good masters for cs, especially the ones you reccomend?

Also With TESU, if we’re transferring 60 credits or so im assuming the remaining 60 will take 2 years like a normal school to complete?
I think WGU have a better reputation
Yup, I gave the quick run down and freeloader wrote the nice anecdote to clearly detail the idea. I think this was a mentioned thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-CS-degree

supreme1995_a Wrote:Yea I agree. Way cheaper with TESU.. degree may not hold same “value” even though this field doesn’t seem to really care about where anyways unless it’s MIT.. regardless, you can add that masters in and top it off. How long is a good masters for cs, especially the ones you reccomend?

Also With TESU, if we’re transferring 60 credits or so im assuming the remaining 60 will take 2 years like a normal school to complete?

1) In my previous response in the link above, the two recommended are Georgia Tech and University of Texas - Austin. You can get both at roughly $10 grand and finish in two years.

2) If you bring in 60 credits into TESU, you can finish much faster than 2 years. You just need to take the cornerstone/capstone and transfer in 114 credits, 24 of the of the 114 must be RA - from a community college/institute/university and the 90 can come from alternative ACE credit sources.

Note: Rachel83Az mentioned the entire TESU can be completed in 6-12 months, which is very possible for those that are not working, have no commitments and are glued to their assignments/homework. It's all time management, I have had people follow my 4 month plan for the entire degree starting from 0 credits and were able to complete it. With the added requirements, that no longer is possible, but 6-9 months is...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 669 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,753 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 249 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 673 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 346 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 460 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 270 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,154 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,688 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 693 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21