Poll: Which Associates degree should I pick?
This poll is closed.
AAS in Applied Computer Studies
33.33%
5 33.33%
AAS in Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies
66.67%
10 66.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which degree looks better on a resume?
cookderosa Wrote:The one with a graduation date after it. Seriously, do whichever you are most likely to complete.

Well I can already meet the requirements for both so it is just a matter of clicking on which one to submit
sanantone Wrote:The AAS in Computer Studies is pretty worthless once you have the BSBA in Computer Information Systems. I'm guessing that the credits that you'll be using for the CIS concentration will be the same credits used for the Computer Studies degree? It doesn't add anything extra. The AAS in Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies is pretty worthless, period.

Well the reason I was thinking of the "AAS in Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies" is because of the words Security Technologies. Of course with the words, "Environmental" and "Safety" I might not look like the right type of security.
I just got the degree because I could for free. TESC charged me one graduation fee for the AAS and BA. I even finished up FEMA's Professional Development Series after graduation since I had already completed half of the required courses, but don't expect anything to come from it. I've gotten about a dozen job interviews because of my BA in Social Science and zero for the AAS. The name is pretty confusing. TESC accepts emergency management, science, criminal justice, homeland security, and IT/computer science credits toward the area of study. It's very broad which pretty much devalues the whole thing. My AAS area of study did not have one safety/OSHA or technology-related credit in the area of study. Others will not have one emergency management or security-related credit in their area of study.

I vote for completing an associates in an unrelated but useful area of study (a natural science, mathematics) if you want to diversify, but I know you probably want to quickly grab one with the credits you already have. In that case, go for the ESST because Computer Studies would just be a duplicate of your CIS credits. Actually, the ESST could be too if you're using IT credits instead of FEMAs to fill the area of study. It would be misleading, however, to present yourself as having an information or network security-related degree if hardly any of your credits are in that subject.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
contactmail Wrote:Well I can already meet the requirements for both so it is just a matter of clicking on which one to submit

Despite the arguably "redundant" use of the computer associates and computer bachelor, that's my vote because it implies focus (ie: expert). I'm not a huge fan of "breadth" because it can be misunderstood. Unless you have a great way to bridge the two, I think it looks confusing. If you have a good story though, you should be fine. It's like in grade school when the teacher says "write a story about a yellow boot, grapes, and a comb" If you're good at weaving that into your life, then you'll be fine.

An alternate option- skip the associates. You probably won't listen, because I didn't either, but I did what you're doing. I got an AA and a BA at the same time just because it was low hanging fruit. (I had to wait a quarter though, and I don't think you will, so this might not apply....) But honestly, with only 3 months in between graduation dates, I always expect to be questioned as to the legitimacy of the degree. (Of course I have a well-constructed story that makes me look like a rock star if it comes up) As a do-over, I'd listen to those who told me to skip the associates and just get my bachelor and move onward.
cookderosa Wrote:Despite the arguably "redundant" use of the computer associates and computer bachelor, that's my vote because it implies focus (ie: expert). I'm not a huge fan of "breadth" because it can be misunderstood. Unless you have a great way to bridge the two, I think it looks confusing. If you have a good story though, you should be fine. It's like in grade school when the teacher says "write a story about a yellow boot, grapes, and a comb" If you're good at weaving that into your life, then you'll be fine.

An alternate option- skip the associates. You probably won't listen, because I didn't either, but I did what you're doing. I got an AA and a BA at the same time just because it was low hanging fruit. (I had to wait a quarter though, and I don't think you will, so this might not apply....) But honestly, with only 3 months in between graduation dates, I always expect to be questioned as to the legitimacy of the degree. (Of course I have a well-constructed story that makes me look like a rock star if it comes up) As a do-over, I'd listen to those who told me to skip the associates and just get my bachelor and move onward.

Thanks for the advice. I am struggling with this. I also have a AS Business Administration with another school and that would give me 2 Associates degrees and 1 BSBA with the same graduation date of 2008 which might look bad. I am also thinking of waiting until 2013 for the BS so the dates are different since it would only be waiting a few more months.
contactmail Wrote:Thanks for the advice. I am struggling with this. I also have a AS Business Administration with another school and that would give me 2 Associates degrees and 1 BSBA with the same graduation date of 2008 which might look bad. I am also thinking of waiting until 2013 for the BS so the dates are different since it would only be waiting a few more months.

I think this is your smartest plan. Remember, you wont' always get a chance to explain your resume, the average interviewer gives it something like 17 seconds. If you already had an inkling that the date thing might be an issue, go with your gut.
What about the people who double major? It's quite easy for someone to take enough general education or free electives to complete an associates in addition to a bachelors. I don't see why it would be so odd for someone to complete an associates at the same time as a bachelors when people regularly double major. The associates doesn't always have to be the predecessor to a bachelors. Many people complete or nearly complete associates at community colleges and never apply for graduation. Some community colleges are trying to convince former students to come back and graduate, so a delayed graduation for an associates wouldn't be odd either even if it's done around the same time as obtaining a bachelors.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 421 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,506 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 391 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,868 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,348 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,388 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,619 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 763 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,950 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 889 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy