Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should I do?
LANIER Wrote:Well, the only reason I am joining TESC is because I prefer to have a degree from a "state college", and the name Excelsior doesn't appeal to me... as shallow as my reasoning is.

As for the GPA, my scores aren't good at all. I take CLEPs for free, so I only study enough to pass, and I do. GPA never really concerned me... but I am assuming If I take a class or two through TESC, which I plan to, I can recover my would-be GPA from my poor (C's) test scores.

Customer Service... yeah. I'll definitely call a few times to gauge that one before giving them my money. I've heard a lot about it.

Why not go with Charter Oak? It's also has "State College" in it's name and seems to have a better reputation in customer service.
LANIER Wrote:Well, the only reason I am joining TESC is because I prefer to have a degree from a "state college", and the name Excelsior doesn't appeal to me... as shallow as my reasoning is.

I don't think that is a shallow reason. You will have this degree for the rest of your life. You'll be putting the school name on your resumes and answering the "So where did you go to school?" question over and over again. You might as well choose one that you like.

Myself, I actually preferred the name Excelsior. Every time I read the name "Thomas Edison" I envisioned light bulbs and that was weird for me. Wink
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
mr.mikes1 Wrote:FYI...TESC does NOT count your CLEP/DSST test scores in your GPA, you just get credit for the class. I believe Excelsior does count these scores in your gpa.

For Excelsior, it is my understanding that currently all CLEPs are Pass/Fail and do not count towards the GPA. The DSSTs with the new 3 digit scoring are also Pass/Fail and do not count towards the GPA (for now at least), but the older DSSTs with the 2 digit scoring are graded and do count towards the GPA.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Thanks.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
You're 100% correct!