Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What options does a LPN graduate (with previous community college credits) have?
cookderosa Wrote:Hey you guys. I'm trying to decide between COSC and TESC right now. Excelsior is out of the question for me because of a few personal reasons (can explain in another thread, but they're no biggie). I'm a LPN and have 32 previous community college credits. All were general studies. The basics: English, Biology, Child Development, Sociology, Anthropology, Chemistry 101, P.E., etc. From my LPN program I have 30 credits. They are almost ALL nursing credits, with the exception of a handful of A&P classes and a Microbiology class. So, total, I have 62 credits that COULD potentially transfer to one of these colleges.
Your sciences, if taught from a science department, will come in as gen eds too. The fact that your other credits are LPN is no different than anyone who has FEMA, auto body, culinary arts, or any other trade credits- they'll be free electives. So, seriously, unless you are going for nursing- you're options are WIDE open!

Has anyone gone this route before? I have had the privilege of emailing with someone who has. She ended up going for a Health Care Administration degree. I think that's an awesome degree, but I don't want that to be my only option and this person happened to finish through Excelsior. I am only interested in TESC and COSC at this point. At first I was considering just rushing through and getting a BA in Liberal Arts, but someone cautioned me that this could possibly make things harder on me when I go for my Masters later on, in a specialized major.
On this point, I would disagree. This board is full of liberal arts degree holders who have gone on to earn master's degrees in other things. In fact, my undergrad is in social science, but I was accepted into every grad program I'd ever applied to- and none were in social science! Even the MBA programs didn't care. I'd say, however, that there is little difference in the "easiness" of liberal arts over any of the specific liberal arts, so if there is one subject you like better- then go for it.

In a nutshell, I definitely would like to go for my Bachelors of Science (preferably in Business, Mathematics, etc.) I want a solid degree that, perhaps, wouldn't even keep nursing out of the question for me in the future. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. After being in nursing, I realize it's my passion, but refuse to stand around and wait for the field to get better. It's abusive and flooded. I'm working in recruiting right now and love it. I'm also an experienced Administrative Assistant. I love the aspects of Human Resources, Office Management, Balancing numbers, being an Executive Assistant, trading stocks, etc. (outside of health science obviously). Many office positions I want to apply to are $50,000-$65,000/year, but require a Bachelors degree. Not because your degree will have ANYTHING to do with what you're doing, but in order to weed people out.

I guess what I am getting at is, have any of you been in a similar position? What did you end up majoring in and did you go on for your Masters in a specialty? I would like to stay away from Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology type of majors. I guess these are called general Social Science majors. Not because I dislike them, but because I feel I need to challenge myself a bit more. Any suggestions? Sorry I'm all over the place you guys. I'm a newbie. Someone else gave me the great advice of clepping out of general studies for TESC/COSC and THEN applying, but I am still really confused about the process and which general studies I should, for sure, CLEP out of in the meantime. I'm wondering if the only way to figure out my situation is to apply to both colleges.
Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, you'll discover what you like once you get started. For instance, I thought I loved biology...HA! NOT! After a few bio classes I was sooooooo done. On the other hand, I didn't know anything about anthropology, but I developed an interest once I studied for the anthropology DSST. Business/HR/etc is a solid direction. The only down side- and it could be a biggie- is that those classes are absolutely NOT considered general education. Meaning, if you change your mind, they will be free electives like your LPN classes. A few business classes that ARE both requirements at TESC and double duty as general education classes in other degrees are microeconomics, macroeconomics, statistics, and pre-calculus. Maybe start with those 4 and see how it feels.
Did I ever tell you how wonderful you are?!?! hilarious Seriously...this information just helped clear SOOOOO many things up and made my day.

I think I'm getting it now...I'm 90% there ...:hurray:

So in a nutshell, do you think I would be able to use my 18+ LPN specific credits as electives toward a BS Business, Hospital Management degree?
[-] The following 1 user Likes CollegeStudent7's post:
  • cookderosa
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:Oh ok, thanks Jen! So if I am correct, I would "lose" 3 credits of my nursing at most right? ..as I have 30 nursing credits and another 32 community college credits..so now I guess I'm asking ...can I transfer (more than likely) all 32 of my community college credits and 27 of my 30 non-general-ed type of nursing credits? Now that I think twice about it, of those 30 credits, 12 are actually anatomy & physiology/microbiology, so I wonder if they would transfer on the general-ed level :-p.

It won't kill me if I cannot apply EVERY single little one...I guess I'm just hoping out of the 62 potential credits I can apply at least 50ish toward a Bachelors at TESC. :coolgleam:

They'll evaluate all of them. They'll take all of them as long as they fit in the slots of the degree you seek. I'd hold out hope that your A&P/micro end up in biology. I see no reason that they wouldn't.
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:Did I ever tell you how wonderful you are?!?! hilarious Seriously...this information just helped clear SOOOOO many things up and made my day.

I think I'm getting it now...I'm 90% there ...:hurray:

So in a nutshell, do you think I would be able to use my 18+ LPN specific credits as electives toward a BS Business, Hospital Management degree?

Don't say "elective" because there are 2 kinds of electives that you need to keep seperate in your brain. Gen ed electives (math, science, humanities, social science) and then free electives (lpn). If you seek a business degree, then you'll add into the mix business electives lol. Hows that for muddy waters Smile

You'll likely use more of your LPN credits in a non-business degree (9 credits to be exact) but seriously, what's 9 credits? Nothing to change a degree over.
cookderosa Wrote:Don't say "elective" because there are 2 kinds of electives that you need to keep seperate in your brain. Gen ed electives (math, science, humanities, social science) and then free electives (lpn). If you seek a business degree, then you'll add into the mix business electives lol. Hows that for muddy waters Smile

You'll likely use more of your LPN credits in a non-business degree (9 credits to be exact) but seriously, what's 9 credits? Nothing to change a degree over.

Whew, ok I am kind of understanding this muddy water thing lol. Yes, LPN electives are FREE electives. Smile So I'm just wondering how many FREE electives are allowed..hmm...did you already say this? I will scroll up lol..my brain is fried.

I did the math. Of the 30 nursing schools credits I earned whilst in the program, 21 of them are nursing credits and the other 9 credits fall under science.

So if it makes any sense..I have 62 potential transfer credits...32 credits are "electives" (liberal arts I took in community college) and 30 credits are from nursing (with 21 being actual nursing credits and 9 of those credits being sciences). Am I making sense? :ack:
So basically you think I have a strong pathway to major in Biology for my Bachelors? I wanted to make myself marketable in the job field. You had some REALLY good ideas...pharm. sales, health insurance, etc. I'm also interested in Human Resources etc. I like Biology and I'm trying think of it up in the mix. Maybe I can double major..but that depends on how many extra classes..think I am getting ahead of myself. I'm trying to just take what I have and go in a straight line..get a Bachelors of Science in something reasonably solid that would allow me to apply to more jobs in the business/health field...or one or the other. I'm wondering where a Bachelors of Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics falls in there? Hmm Smile
Maybe this post (which is by Cookderosa and is excellent) will help you understand how credits flow:

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...mmies.html

Note: Some of the info on TESC policy has changed.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
:iagree: Thanks NAP! That thread is awesome. It's making it VERY clear. Now I guess I just need to look up the reqs for the following TESC degrees:
  • Biology
  • Natural Sciences and Mathematics
  • Business Administration (Hospital Health Management)
I guess I am just scared since cookderosa said NONE of her culinary credits transferred, but that's because of them being nationally accredited right?

My LPN program was from a 4-year college with a very tech-like feel, but upon further investigation, this is what I reconfirmed about them....

"......is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation."

So I hope I'm safe. Seems to be regionally accredited although they don't come out flat and say it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,882 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,330 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,942 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,567 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,860 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,062 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 3,298 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 5,370 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,762 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,488 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM