Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Precalculus CLEP, any help IC
Levi_1989 Wrote:Anyway, I have studied with the REA Precalc book and was very underwhelmed with it. It's very unclear and not user-friendly.

SO glad someone else is having the same experience. I thought maybe I was just totally missing something this test. Tongue

I really need help with this test. I took PreCalc in high school (only about 3 years ago), but I guess I didn't really learn anything. Most of it seems brand new material. I was trying PreCalculus Deymystified, which was really good, but when I went to take the REA practice test, I couldn't remember a thing I had learned! I think I got around a 37... and this after almost a month of studying!

I've kind of given up for now and moved on to other tests. But I'll have to take it eventually. I may try the CLEPProfessor... but any other advice?
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17
Maths sucks. The tests are the type which start out requiring breadth of knowledge and rapidly become about depth (on breadth on depth).

Probably the most useful thing which got my head around the maths is being told that it is something you do not so much a bunch of stuff you remember. It's just not something that can be crammed for, it's something which needs to be practiced.

When we do something like Analyzing and Interpreting Literature or Intro to Psychology, we get a question and we can normally recognise the answer immediately, or use a process of elimination to narrow our options.

But, when we get a maths CLEP/DSST/UEXCEL question there are a number of steps to arrive at a possible solution (usually). We can still apply a process of elimination to narrow our options, but deciding between two answers which 'look right' isn't enough - we have to actually work it out.

I hated maths and I love the idea of testing out with CLEPs now.

As maths is something we do, it's like playing a musical instrument, baking a cake or working with tools. We need to practice to be able to do it in a test situation.

So, for all the awesomeness that are flashcards and videos, the best way to get good enough at maths to pass a test is to get a book and practice the problems. That will mean understanding the problems first so we can recognise the problem later so we know which tools to use. But at least once it's done it's done Smile

edit: An exception to this and the single best application of computers for providing a good learning environment is ALEKS. This is awesome.

Other than that, it's a case of get something like 'Teach yourself Algebra' and 'Teach yourself Trigonometry' and start putting the hours down
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
Okay,

I just ordered CLEP Professor today for Precalculus. It should arrive in the mail soon....I'm eager to see what it's about.
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)
irnbru, thanks for the advice. It makes a lot of sense... maybe not exactly what I wanted to hear, but probably what I needed. So... once I finish suffering through Financial Accounting and maybe an easy History test to boost my confidence again, I'll give PreCalc another try, understanding it'll take awhile. :'(

But thanks. Smile

And I would love to hear more about CLEP Professor...
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,804 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 673 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,189 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,821 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,450 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,388 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,633 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,820 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,342 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar