Environmental Science
Human Biology
Introduction to Ethics
Introductions to Psychology
Introduction to Statistics
US History 1
College Algebra
Introduction to Sociology

I also enrolled in JSU for their 3 credit course I can't remember if WGU wanted RA credit or not but I figure why not.

So....I am interested in doing the accelerated SE degree and saw that CompTIA A+ it was a recommended certification before enrolling..

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

Can I skip it and transfer in a different hardware course? It just seems like a whole lot of work to get that certification. Is it a case of WGU having a terrible class or something?

Also WGU wants an IT certification to guarantee acceptance if you don't have an associates and I don't have one. Is there any other benefit from enrolling in the free BOG degree at Pierpont other than giving WGU the associates they want?

Based on the plan above I would need to do 10 courses at WGU.. They all seem pretty related, and lead up to the final capstone so great job on planning that out.
Looks like I need to go get AWS Cloud Practitioner, ITIL, Project+, GoogleUX.

Does this all sound about right?
@alfonsod, Welcome to the board, it's great you're starting off and providing some information, having said that you've missed the addendum and template as it provides even greater details of your scenario. With a better picture of your overall situation, we'll know what may be a better path to take in order to complete this educational goal of yours. Take some time reading through forum posts and the WIKI for degree plans... Please update the thread with the addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-04-2023, 09:35 PM)alfonsod Wrote: Hello all, 

Up to this point I only have a few Sophia GE courses done:

Art History 1
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Introduction to Ethics
US History 1
College Algebra

I also enrolled in JSU for their 3 credit course I can't remember if WGU wanted RA credit or not but I figure why not.

So....I am interested in doing the accelerated SE degree and saw that CompTIA A+ it was a recommended certification before enrolling..

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

Can I skip it and transfer in a different hardware course? It just seems like a whole lot of work to get that certification. Is it a case of WGU having a terrible class or something?

Also WGU wants an IT certification to guarantee acceptance if you don't have an associates and I don't have one. Is there any other benefit from enrolling in the free BOG degree at Pierpont other than giving WGU the associates they want?

Based on the plan above I would need to do 10 courses at WGU.. They all seem pretty related, and lead up to the final capstone so great job on planning that out.
Looks like I need to go get AWS Cloud Practitioner, ITIL, Project+, GoogleUX.

Does this all sound about right?

I'm lost. SE degree? As a general rule, always max out your transfer credit. In the long run, it will save time and keep cost lower.
(12-05-2023, 03:51 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: I'm lost. SE degree? 
Software Engineering; it's what WGU previously called Software Development.
As per the WIKI degree plan linked by OP, it's best to complete the requirements as per that template... Of course you can deviate from it, if you think it's better substituting another course or going a slightly different classes or provider, it really depends on your needs/wants and how you do things, get things done... I suggest the trifecta of certs, degree, experience, so you should continue getting whatever 'included' certs you can through WGU.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
wgu does not require nor offer the A+ for the SE degree

https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/so...ogram.html

these are the only 3 offered

3rd Party Software Engineering Certifications Included

Project+

AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner

ITIL*^ Foundation Certification

and you don't need the A+ to be admitted,
you can take the A+ and it might help (see 4 below)

To be considered for enrollment into this bachelor's degree program, applicants must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent AND demonstrate program readiness through one of the following:

Option 1: Submit transcripts documenting completion of college-level coursework with a minimum of 2.5 GPA or higher. 
Option 2: Possess a bachelors or associate degree (A.A, A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable) from an accredited post-secondary institution.
Option 3: Demonstrate at least two years of IT work experience through resume review.
Option 4: Submit official record of completion of a transferable IT certification, some of which may provide transfer credit  into various programs.
Option 5: Submit high school transcripts with a minimum GPA of 2.75 GPA and a B grade or higher in a S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) course. *Only advanced mathematics courses will satisfy this requirement
Option 6: Submit transcripts documenting completion of previous IT coursework. IT coursework must be 300 level or higher.

they do accept the A+ as transfer credit for this course

D386 Hardware and Operating Systems Essentials 3

One course, equivalent to 3 units, in computer hardware and operating systems or the following Certification: CompTIA A+. Course can be satisfied by an associate or bachelor’s degree in Information Technology completed within 5 years of the student’s start date.

Course Details

Name: Hardware and Operating Systems Essentials
Code: D386
Units: 3

Description: Hardware and Operating Systems prepares learners for concepts in software engineering by providing a foundation of understanding in computer architecture, the history of computing architectures, and operating systems. Additional topics covered include hardware and software stacks and how to choose appropriate hardware and software solutions to meet both functional and non-functional business requirements.

unfortunately there is no study.com course that transfers
https://partners.wgu.edu/home

https://partners.wgu.edu/general-transfer-guidelines

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/transfers...tions.html

https://partners.wgu.edu/home
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • alfonsod
Thank you for going through that effort BB. Appreciate the info about Hardware it's much clearer now what I need to do. I think it will be much easier to just do the course with WGU than doing the A+. The A+ only counts for that one course and I think it's going to take me more than 4 months to go through it plus pay for the test. I think it will just slow me down. My GPA for WGU is under the requirements for admittance so I need to either get an associates or the certs. Looks like if I do one of these Project+, AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner, ITIL*^ Foundation Certification I should be good for acceptance.

Also, I apologize for skipping over the top of that forum sticky.

Here is the information requested
Your Location: Texas
Your Age: 26
What kind of degree do you want?: Software Engineering
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 0
Budget: I'm open to anything
Commitments: None
Dedicated time to study: 50hrs/week
Timeline: ASAP
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: None

Ace credits: Sophia

Art History 1
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Introduction to Ethics
US History 1
College Algebra

Provider Total Credits: 27

If you have any other advice for me it's welcome thank you
If you do Sophia's project management course, then you don't need Project+. Sophia's course can be done in 1 or 2 days, so do it there.

I hear that WGU's User Interface Design course isn't too bad, so you could do that course at WGU.

AWS Cloud Practitioner either way, you must pass the cert exam. I suggest doing that one outside WGU.

ITIL cert isn't too hard so you can do that at WGU.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • alfonsod, origamishuttle
Thanks for all those tips, LevelUP
So now I got another question..... on the WGU website it said that those 3 certs are included with the degree. If I take Sophia's PM course, do I have to sit for the CompTIA Project+ exam when I enroll, or, will Sophia's course earn me the Project+ cert automatically?
(12-06-2023, 10:07 PM)alfonsod Wrote: Thanks for all those tips, LevelUP
So now I got another question..... on the WGU website it said that those 3 certs are included with the degree. If I take Sophia's PM course, do I have to sit for the CompTIA Project+ exam when I enroll, or, will Sophia's course earn me the Project+ cert automatically?

When you take Sophia's project management course, you don't have to take WGU's project management course or get the Project+ cert. You don't earn any Project+ cert. from Sophia.

Those entry-level certs don't mean much when you have a Computer Science or Software Engineering degree as your skills should be beyond basic by the time you get your degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • alfonsod

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Lingering Questions (BSBA Journey) SlowReader 4 388 08-21-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: artidiotic
  Questions about Excelsior BSLA lonelySamurai 13 1,226 07-21-2024, 07:10 AM
Last Post: lonelySamurai
  VCRUZ1970 - TAMUC BAAS Degree Questions VCRUZ1970 9 660 05-28-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: txc1500
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 1,119 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Business Core questions Yenisei 8 815 12-07-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  UMPI BABA - Questions, Help Needed mram1 10 1,181 09-02-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions about tentative UMPI degree plan Dooj 13 1,551 06-13-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Questions about Excelsior BSLA degree planning Thanksforhelphere 7 1,100 04-03-2023, 07:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU - credit questions kevinks 6 1,693 03-20-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: kevinks
  Pierpont BOG Associates results questions Staples 4 1,383 08-28-2022, 09:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore