Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New BS in Public Health
WGU is hiring course developers and testers for a BS in Public Health program. In my opinion, they should have skipped directly to the MPH. There's not much that can be done with a BS, and people usually transition into this field with experience in healthcare or science. They also should have created a BSW, MSW, or master's in mental health counseling instead of undergraduate degrees in psychology and health and human services. With them already being an education-focused university, school counseling and school psychology certification/license-eligible programs would have made sense. 

WGU's mission was to offer practical degrees that lead to jobs, and I don't think their latest health-related programs align with that mission.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, NotJoeBiden
Years ago WGU offered an MS in Health Education that I think qualified graduates for the MCHES or CHES certification exams. They closed the program with no replacement, a rare occurrence for WGU. Now they're adding one program after another at a lower level adjacent to it.
Maybe later on, when the bachelors are stablished they will start with the MPH and etc.? Maybe they took a step by step approach starting from the lower point?
All that said, I agree with Sanantone in that usually the useful degree is the MPH and is people with previous degrees in healthcare that transition to it.
Most changes are determined by demand and they're trying to supply that demand at the undergrad level. I would hope they either create a new program for the graduate level or re-instate/revive the older program mentioned in post #2. I think if they revive the program, they can make minor changes until it conforms to accreditation requirements...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-26-2024, 06:46 PM)sanantone Wrote: WGU is hiring course developers and testers for a BS in Public Health program. In my opinion, they should have skipped directly to the MPH. There's not much that can be done with a BS, and people usually transition into this field with experience in healthcare or science. They also should have created a BSW, MSW, or master's in mental health counseling instead of undergraduate degrees in psychology and health and human services. With them already being an education-focused university, school counseling and school psychology certification/license-eligible programs would have made sense. 

WGU's mission was to offer practical degrees that lead to jobs, and I don't think their latest health-related programs align with that mission.

This was exactly my critique of WGU's new psychology degree. As an alum, I was surprised because it doesn't line up with their mission statement. Everyone knows psychology degrees have a poor return on time/money investment. But after thinking about it a bit, I realized they were probably going to be developing some kind of graduate program to make the psychology degree worth the time and effort. I'm sure they have something interesting in the works.
(03-27-2024, 10:01 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 06:46 PM)sanantone Wrote: WGU is hiring course developers and testers for a BS in Public Health program. In my opinion, they should have skipped directly to the MPH. There's not much that can be done with a BS, and people usually transition into this field with experience in healthcare or science. They also should have created a BSW, MSW, or master's in mental health counseling instead of undergraduate degrees in psychology and health and human services. With them already being an education-focused university, school counseling and school psychology certification/license-eligible programs would have made sense. 

This was exactly my critique of WGU's new psychology degree. As an alum, I was surprised because it doesn't line up with their mission statement. Everyone knows psychology degrees have a poor return on time/money investment. But after thinking about it a bit, I realized they were probably going to be developing some kind of graduate program to make the psychology degree worth the time and effort. I'm sure they have something interesting in the works.

I hope so. Otherwise, they'll be just like every other online school that focuses on offering popular degrees instead of degrees that can actually get people jobs. Not that I'm saying that you can't get a job with a BS in psychology; it's just a lot harder, and the average pay is low.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(03-27-2024, 10:01 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:

I just spoke with an enrollment counselor at WGU the other day and they said that there will be no "behavioral-type"masters programs for at least another 4 years.  Huh
BecciCarroll Wrote:I just spoke with an enrollment counselor at WGU the other day and they said that there will be no "behavioral-type"masters programs for at least another 4 years.  Huh

Sometimes you take information from people with a grain of salt, don't dwell on what they give you, decide if you want to take it at WGU or go for another route. There are different pathways towards the goal. What if the person you were talking to made a minor mistake, it may have been 4 months not 4 years... What if they decide to bump it up earlier than that or maybe drop the program altogether later down the road, no one knows for certain. Have a backup plan...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

I can only speak to my experience in Alabama but I suspect this is the case nationally. In Alabama maybe 10ish years ago, the Al department of public health needed employees but they did'nt have enough staff pay lines for folks at the masters level but they still needed qualified candiates for the positions. The answer was the BS in public health. FWIW, the university I was formerly employed at had the same faculty teaching the BSPH and MSPH (also DRPH). The BS and MPH curiculum is almost identical except the MPH has more papers and presentations.
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - completed
WWU - DBA 2026 - in progress

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU BS in Health Science Jonathan Whatley 11 1,669 08-24-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: cwendy111
  WGU BS in Health and Human Services Jonathan Whatley 5 1,431 11-11-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  New Degree at WGU - Health Services Coordination sanantone 12 4,939 09-17-2019, 01:57 AM
Last Post: dfrecore