Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student loans and panic attacks...
Still thinking student loans are acceptable? How about no free time, choices made because of what you owe, and panic attacks for your financially burdened children?

I actually don't agree with some of the tactics aimed at addressing the problem in this article, rather seeking to highlight the plight of students who foolishly take on significant debt.

Strategies For When You're Starting Out Saddled With Student Debt : NPR
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I just have a hard time with this - when did people start thinking it was okay to take out six figures worth of college debt? Then they get out into the workforce and realize, "hey, my debt payment is almost like a mortgage!" Because, duh, you took out more money than some people pay for a house, and now you're realizing that makes it hard to make ends meet on entry-level salaries? You think?

The average debt is $30k. That's still a lot, but if you have a decent job then it's not much worse than all the people who go out and buy brand new cars. It can take a little while to pay that off, but it's doable so long as you get a decent job.

But $100k? $200k? I owe $200k on my house but you know, I get to live in it in the meantime, I can rent out rooms for extra income, and when I move I can *sell it* and get some of that money back. I can't imagine owing that much on an intangible thing. It's crazy.

It's crazy, and it's also completely unnecessary. $120k for a teaching credential? My AAS, BA, & MA in Teaching combined aren't going to cost even a third that much, and most of that either already has been or will be paid by others, because I deliberately looked for employment that would pay my college expenses. I've also deliberate chosen less expensive programs (WGU's teaching degree should cost less than $15k) and cost saving options like CBE. Sure, it's taken a few years longer than just going to school would have, but that just means I have life and work experience I can bring to the table in addition to my education.

It's hard to completely blame students though. Most young students are living outside the home for the very first time when they're in college - they don't know what things cost, or how hard it can be to earn a good living. They see high tuition costs and think, "it's such a good school! It's the program I've wanted to attend since I was 12." No one sits down with incoming freahman and says, "hey, this college is awesome, but how many decades of financial hardship and stress is the next few years really worth to you?" Because they think they're going to go to a great school and then they'll make amazing money and it'll be fine in a few years. They don't think it'll be decades - they don't realize that many people are having their student loan debt garnished from their social security checks.

I think it's grossly irresponsible and unethical to extend that much credit to people who don't have jobs, and who may not even be old enough to drink yet. And if anything it's worse to try to recruit cosigners - how many parents have sabotaged their own financial welfare just so their kid could go to an overpriced college?
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
We all know the right tactic is to avoid student loans, yet NPR dances around that like a good politician.

Maybe a bit OT, but this NPR article's fluff is expected especially when NPR, FOX, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and BBC are all firmly controlled by the establishment. Only Al-Jazerra, RTnews, and CCTV News would be willing to launch a large expose on the depth of the student loan crisis in the USA and suggest that high schoolers avoid student loans like they avoid cocaine. The establishment media will say college is always worth it for every single high schooler no matter the cost or the field of study.

Addressing the problem would involve discontinuing the taxpayer backstop of student loans and make them bankruptcy eligible. It's the same with solving tobacco use by outlawing tobacco use and outlawing tobacco use in TV/movies. None of this will see the light of day with the current guard in the establishment.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 347 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  First AI supercomputer for Georgia Tech student. Imbanewbie 3 504 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gaince
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 324 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 561 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 1,142 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US student visa issuances now exceed pre-COVID levels bjcheung77 1 531 12-26-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  Oopsie, student is attending the wrong institution... bjcheung77 2 533 10-15-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  NYC college student gets 1yr prison sentence in Dubai for touching security guard LevelUP 5 900 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM
  I want Modern States to be in every student’s wheelhouse bjcheung77 0 521 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM
  Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness "plan" LevelUP 2 811 07-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone