Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UIUC (Illinois) iMBA - is there a gotcha?
I'm not ready to apply for an MBA or master's yet, but hope to get there soon. I've been looking at options, and I notice that the University of Illinois has an iMBA program that is fully online, with a total price of around $25K.

More importantly for me, they do what I would love to see more schools do: They offer a path to admission for people who might not meet their normal criteria. They have a performance-based admissions program that allows you to enter without meeting their usual requirements, and take three classes. If you have good grades in those classes, you can be admitted to the full MBA program.

More info:
https://giesonline.illinois.edu/explore-...ions-track

Since I would anticipate applying as a BLS grad/Management minor from a less competitive RA university (UMPI), this stands out to me. I don't know if they waive all other requirements. For example, I don't know if they require a certain number of qualitative courses as an undergrad even via this program. But I am hopeful that I might qualify for it.

I don't know a lot about the University of Illinois system, but I think this is the flagship school of the system, the Illini. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Are there any drawbacks to this program relative to others of similar cost? It's not the cheapest MBA you can get, and probably not the easiest, but comparing with peer universities, it seems to offer a lot in terms of cost and accessibility.
(06-19-2024, 04:10 PM)Kjnova Wrote: I'm not ready to apply for an MBA or master's yet, but hope to get there soon. I've been looking at options, and I notice that the University of Illinois has an iMBA program that is fully online, with a total price of around $25K.

More importantly for me, they do what I would love to see more schools do: They offer a path to admission for people who might not meet their normal criteria. They have a performance-based admissions program that allows you to enter without meeting their usual requirements, and take three classes. If you have good grades in those classes, you can be admitted to the full MBA program.

More info:
https://giesonline.illinois.edu/explore-...ions-track

Since I would anticipate applying as a BLS grad/Management minor from a less competitive RA university (UMPI), this stands out to me. I don't know if they waive all other requirements. For example, I don't know if they require a certain number of qualitative courses as an undergrad even via this program. But I am hopeful that I might qualify for it.

I don't know a lot about the University of Illinois system, but I think this is the flagship school of the system, the Illini. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Are there any drawbacks to this program relative to others of similar cost? It's not the cheapest MBA you can get, and probably not the easiest, but comparing with peer universities, it seems to offer a lot in terms of cost and accessibility.

UIUC also has the iMSM for 12.5k which is fully transferrable to the iMBA.

UIUC is ranked 35th by USNews and is the top college that has a reasonably priced MBA.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Kjnova, mr_peanutbutter, Pikachu
No gotchas, but as they have massive class sizes with so-so student quality (multiple friends have done it). I live in IL. U of I is a well known school, time will tell if this program affects the “prestige” of the school over time.

IMO MBAs without extensive work experience are sort of pointless but it’s become the degree inflation norm.
[-] The following 3 users Like Duneranger's post:
  • Kjnova, Pikachu, ss20ts
UIUC and Boston University are the 2 most discussed MBA programs in terms of brand value for the money. There's a lot of cheaper programs out there, but probably none with the same national and international visibility as these two. Which of the programs is "better" would depend on your particular needs (I think UIUC is more flexible in terms of courses whereas BU has a more rigid structure). Also, if you live in the Northeast US or internationally, BU has better name recognition.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • Kjnova
The iMSM looks really interesting! Though I am not sure if they have that admissions plan I mentioned for it.

I don't see why they wouldn't, unless they haven't resourced it. I wonder if there is a workaround. Like using the performance admissions plan to get into iMBA and then transferring to iMSM. It also may not be as hard to get admitted through normal channels as I am imagining.

I guess the main advantage to that is, you get a master's degree in half the time, without delaying or giving up on the MBA.

I had replied earlier about Boston U. and Illinois, but I apparently deleted that reply by mistake fumbling with post quoting features. Here in the Mid Atlantic - ie the upper part of the Southeast - I have to consciously think about which is which between Boston University and Boston College, though I am aware that they are both highly regarded. I am more familiar with the Illinois brand from sports, though I don't know much about them, aside from a vague awareness that they are a well-regarded state flagship university.
Exactly, here's a read I just posted a few minutes ago, it points to a few of my previous posts, including the UIUC IMSM vs IMBA
Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid421718
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Kjnova, mr_peanutbutter
(06-19-2024, 06:18 PM)Kjnova Wrote: The iMSM looks really interesting! Though I am not sure if they have that admissions plan I mentioned for it.

I don't see why they wouldn't, unless they haven't resourced it. I wonder if there is a workaround. Like using the performance admissions plan to get into iMBA and then transferring to iMSM. It also may not be as hard to get admitted through normal channels as I am imagining.

I guess the main advantage to that is, you get a master's degree in half the time, without delaying or giving up on the MBA.

I had replied earlier about Boston U. and Illinois, but I apparently deleted that reply by mistake fumbling with post quoting features. Here in the Mid Atlantic - ie the upper part of the Southeast - I have to consciously think about which is which between Boston University and Boston College, though I am aware that they are both highly regarded. I am more familiar with the Illinois brand from sports, though I don't know much about them, aside from a vague awareness that they are a well-regarded state flagship university.

The iMSM program also has the P.A.T. tract, like the iMBA and iMSA.  It's strongly recommended to start with the iMSM if you're a fresh graduate/no work experience.  This at least gets you in the door with interviews after graduation, being an alumnus.  Once you gain a few years of experience, you can stack the iMSM into the iMBA (which basically enables you to finish in half the time).  This way, you have an MS in Management and an MBA (which every little checkbox helps when it comes to resume selection).
In Progress:
West Virginia University, RBA Economics & Political Science

Complete:
Pierpont C&TC, AAS BOG Information Systems '23
[-] The following 1 user Likes mr_peanutbutter's post:
  • Kjnova
Thanks - I am far from a traditional fresh graduate - I am 53 with lots of work experience. But I'm still interested in the iMSM, because there doesn't seem to be a downside to it, if I understand it right. You can still get the MBA in the same amount of time, if you choose to do so, but meantime, you get a MSM halfway through. What's not to like, especially if it has the same performance-based admissions concept?

An MSM may be enough of a credential, anyway, especially from somewhere like Illinois.

I am not in position to do any master's program yet, but when I am, this is definitely a path I will consider seriously. Thanks for the additional info!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kjnova's post:
  • mr_peanutbutter
(06-19-2024, 06:18 PM)Kjnova Wrote: The iMSM looks really interesting! Though I am not sure if they have that admissions plan I mentioned for it.

The iMSM also has performance based admissions options, but the courses are different. No need for a workaround. https://giesonline.illinois.edu/explore-...ions-track

Also, these programs are offered through Coursera as well.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to do their MBA program for the simple fact that it’s like double the coursework.  Holy smokes!  However, I am sure it’s an excellent program.  Smile

Just to throw another MBA program out there, this one from Illinois Tech on Coursera is performance based. Plus if you have done any of the professional certificates (like from google or ibm on Coursera), you may be able to transfer in three credits for that.
https://www.coursera.org/degrees/mba-ill...ch/landing
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • Kjnova
(06-19-2024, 09:36 PM)Vle045 Wrote:

The iMSM also has performance based admissions options, but the courses are different. No need for a workaround. https://giesonline.illinois.edu/explore-...ions-track

Also, these programs are offered through Coursera as well.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to do their MBA program for the simple fact that it’s like double the coursework.  Holy smokes!  However, I am sure it’s an excellent program.  Smile

Just to throw another MBA program out there, this one from Illinois Tech on Coursera is performance based.  Plus if you have done any of the professional certificates (like from google or ibm on Coursera), you may be able to transfer in three credits for that.
https://www.coursera.org/degrees/mba-ill...ch/landing
Illinois Tech is a far cry from UI though. Maaaaybe if you honestly just need to check the box. But given the relative importance of name/prestige in the MBA glut-o-sphere, I would do UI in a heartbeat over I-tech.

IL resident btw.
[-] The following 2 users Like Duneranger's post:
  • Kjnova, mr_peanutbutter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MBA Illinois Tech (Stuart) via Coursera dauntymba 1 391 07-24-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CEE Admission at UIUC RED_Monster_2555 7 784 03-27-2024, 12:07 AM
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 3,703 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 7,859 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 4,936 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  Start UIUC iMSM in January or defer? MichaelDoesMarketing 7 971 11-22-2023, 11:28 AM
Last Post: MichaelDoesMarketing
  Sacramento State launches accelerated, fully online iMBA program LevelUP 7 1,600 09-04-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: datby98
  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Masters Computer Science LevelUP 10 2,763 02-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Eastern Illinois University ss20ts 3 844 12-18-2022, 03:45 PM
Last Post: wildebeest
  Coursera + University of Illinois = IMSM - MS in Management bjcheung77 12 6,731 12-26-2021, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Noah_miller