Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medical Transcribing schools???
My best friend asked me today to look up medical transcribing schools for her daughter. Her daughter is just 21, married with a baby, so she wanta a job she can do from home mostly. Does anyone know anything about any of these schools? Money is going to be a big point too.

Any Advice appreciated.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I actually have a certificate in medical transcription, from U.S. Career Institute, but I say don't go with them. I think Penn Foster has a program? U.S. Career Institute's program was ridiculously easy, and it was more of something I did to occupy my time rather than because I'd ever want a career in it, so I'm afraid I don't have much more info to offer than that. Most job listings want two years experience in addition to the certificate, but I never seriously researched it. I used to do billings and such at a group home where I used to work, so at the time I thought it would be helpful. I wish I would have spent that money on CLEP exams instead!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Here are a couple work from home websites that might be worth checking out. These were sent to me by another forum member when she and I were discussing it a few months back (Thanks, Robin!), maybe your friend would find these helpful. These jobs go fast, so she should start ASAP.

I don't know what all is out there regarding work from home jobs, but I think that if your friend's daughter wants to do medical transcription, maybe she could try for an AAS in Health Information Technology from Penn Foster, then a certification in Medical Coding and Transcription? Just a suggestion, and the AAS would be a good substitute for the two years experience most employers want. Not to sound like an advertisement for Penn Foster or anything, but they could make payments for around fifty dollars a month.

Penn Foster College - Associate Degrees

Work Place Like Home

Work at Home Jobs - WAHM.com

Well, that's my take on it, anyway. But like I said earlier, if it were me, I'd use the money for CLEP exams,but I am an addict and my opinion is skewed. Good luck to your friend, even if she doesn't do the Penn Foster thing, I hope those work from home sites are helpful!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Schools in America Now Becoming More Insane Than North Korea LevelUP 20 2,907 09-26-2023, 04:46 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 707 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Faced with a desperate skills shortage, tech leaders plead for CS reform in schools MNomadic 5 904 07-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Medical Team - Report to the Holodeck Alpha 1 559 04-18-2022, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Southern China new hotspot for British schools bjcheung77 3 1,185 04-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Globeducate acquires three schools in Europe bjcheung77 1 941 03-30-2021, 05:51 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Harvard Medical School going online for fall DIGI-212 8 2,797 08-26-2020, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Nilv
  Is this part of why medical school is so expensive ? indigoshuffle 2 1,128 05-28-2020, 08:37 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New Free Medical Schools sanantone 12 5,183 10-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Medical Assistant Training and Credits for Certification sanantone 1 1,321 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512