Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Online STEM Classroom--Who Succeeds? An Exploration of the Impact of Ethnicity, G
This is education related, but not directly, so I am posting in off-topic.

I am studying for a research paper and came upon this abstract that I found interesting. What this says to me is that if a person can get a degree online, especially in a self-motivated way, that person is doing better than average. So keep up the good work everybody!!

"Objective: This study analyzes how ethnicity, gender, and non-traditional student characteristics relate to differential online versus face-to-face outcomes in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) courses at community colleges.

Method: This study used a sample of 3,600 students in online and face-to-face courses matched by course, instructor, and semester from a large urban community college in the Northeast. Outcomes were measured using rates of successful course completion (with a "C-" or higher). Multilevel logistic regression and propensity score matching were utilized to control for unobserved heterogeneity between courses and for differences in student characteristics.

Results: With respect to successful course completion, older students did significantly better online, and women did significantly worse (although no worse than men) online, than would be expected based on their outcomes in comparable face-to-face courses. There was no significant interaction between the online medium and ethnicity, suggesting that though Black and Hispanic students may do worse on average in STEM courses than their White and Asian peers both online and face-to-face, this gap was not increased by the online environment."
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
my own personal experience, is that I'm a much better student when I have a lot of autonomy. My teen sons, however, do better with structure. I can see how age would make a difference.
cookderosa Wrote:my own personal experience, is that I'm a much better student when I have a lot of autonomy. My teen sons, however, do better with structure. I can see how age would make a difference.

Yes, it's the same in our household. I'm sure some of it also has to do with learning styles, but age (and thus life experience) definitely plays a role.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
I'm a mixture. In courses I'm interested in, I do much better when I can run with it more or less on my own. The less-interesting courses/subjects, I do better with more structure.
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,946 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 674 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 513 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
Shocked A ‘once in a generation’ winter storm will impact nearly every state! LevelUP 8 1,320 12-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 555 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Does Global name impact? NewatTESU 7 1,541 09-19-2021, 05:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Almost $250 Billion Growth in Online Education bjcheung77 0 741 02-17-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Vested - Free online courses (orientations) bjcheung77 0 1,046 11-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Harvard Medical School going online for fall DIGI-212 8 2,752 08-26-2020, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Nilv
  Cal State Online Fall 2020 natshar 41 5,713 06-26-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: dfrecore