Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you degree forum - attending commencement 2016
This is my first time posting on Degree forum. - I have just acquired my Associate of Science in Business Administration. (To be continued)
I must say, If it wasn't for all of you guys, here, at Degree forum. I wouldn't have made it to were I am now. Academic wise.
THANK YOU to each and everyone of you!! For all the knowledge you've shared with all of us!.

I am looking forward to attending the upcoming Commencement and I would appreciate any ideas..

My (almost) 9 year old want to come with me soo badly, travelling from Michigan. However, friends and relatives will not be able to travel with us due to work, etc.
(1) Would you take a kid with you, or?
(2) Would you recommend Bus or train?
(3) Do you know of any hotels around the area?

Thanks again
Congrats on your ASBA!!
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Lucky Wrote:This is my first time posting on Degree forum. - I have just acquired my Associate of Science in Business Administration. (To be continued)
I must say, If it wasn't for all of you guys, here, at Degree forum. I wouldn't have made it to were I am now. Academic wise.
THANK YOU to each and everyone of you!! For all the knowledge you've shared with all of us!.

I am looking forward to attending the upcoming Commencement and I would appreciate any ideas..

My (almost) 9 year old want to come with me soo badly, travelling from Michigan. However, friends and relatives will not be able to travel with us due to work, etc.
(1) Would you take a kid with you, or?
(2) Would you recommend Bus or train?
(3) Do you know of any hotels around the area?

Thanks again

I have never been to the commencement, but I wanted to say that it would probably be best to have someone with your 9 yr old for safety sake while you are participating in the ceremony... there will be a LOT of people around, but they are technically "strangers".
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
I think a 9 year old would get very bored. First there excitement and the walk in which can take several minutes if there a lot of graduates attending. Then you have long introductions then speeches children would not be interested in. Then it takes a while for each gradates name to be called as they come up and receive their diploma. I think they live stream the ceremony so it could be watched from home by friends and family. There is nothing like walking across the stage in person for you, but live streaming should be fine for family.

I don't know where you are in Michigan but either train or bus will probably be very long with a stop in either Philly or NYC then to Trenton. If you must I would suggest train over bus. Can you look into a cheap flight?

If you don't have a car getting around the Trenton area could be difficult and/or dangerous.

All that being said you deffinetly should go if at all possible and CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your degree
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Agree with Lindagerr, live streaming sounds like a better option for a 9 year old.
Congratulations!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Congrats!

Agreed with the others. I would assume your nine year old cant sit with you and having them sit by themselves for a few hours would worry me.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
"They are technically strangers" - How right you are! Thanks for your wisdom.
Lindagerr Wrote:I think a 9 year old would get very bored. First there excitement and the walk in which can take several minutes if there a lot of graduates attending. Then you have long introductions then speeches children would not be interested in. Then it takes a while for each gradates name to be called as they come up and receive their diploma. I think they live stream the ceremony so it could be watched from home by friends and family. There is nothing like walking across the stage in person for you, but live streaming should be fine for family.

I don't know where you are in Michigan but either train or bus will probably be very long with a stop in either Philly or NYC then to Trenton. If you must I would suggest train over bus. Can you look into a cheap flight?

If you don't have a car getting around the Trenton area could be difficult and/or dangerous.

All that being said you deffinetly should go if at all possible and CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your degree

THANK YOU soo much for your insights/wisdom!
I looked into flights today. Seems to be way faster.

Thanks again Lindagerr, it is people like you, who make degreeforum what it is, a helping hand towards a better future.

May God bless us all
Mamasaphire Wrote:I have never been to the commencement, but I wanted to say that it would probably be best to have someone with your 9 yr old for safety sake while you are participating in the ceremony... there will be a LOT of people around, but they are technically "strangers".

"They are technically strangers" - How right you are, Thank you soo much for your wisdom, Mamasaphire.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 408 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,480 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 358 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,726 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,295 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,379 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,589 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 754 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Celebrating a Forum Legend: bjcheung77's Record-Breaking Journey! LevelUP 17 1,470 06-02-2024, 07:18 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,912 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema