Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesc & Fema Confirmation
Hello All.

Is there anyone on here who can confirm whether or not TESC will accept FEMA credits for General Education Requirements?

I have searched through the forum and I keep coming up on 2 different answers. One is that TESC only accepts up to 25 credits. Two is that they will accept up to 27 credits.

I plan on getting my BSBA in Public Administration and my credit distribution requirements for this degree state that I need 9 General Education Electives, 9 Business Electives, & 18 Free Electives.

All I need to know is if TESC will accept my FEMA credits for the 18 Free Electives and the 9 General Education Electives (27 total). Then I would just take a couple of CLEPS/DANTES for the remaining Business Electives (9).

I am trying to do a complete blueprint of all the classes/CLEPS/DANTES I need to take in order to obtain my degree for this program but am stuck until I get the answers to these questions.

Also...what does an unofficial eval look like from TESC. If I send them the application fee, will they let me know all the classes I'll need to finish my degree once I receive the eval?

Thanks in advance for your help.

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
This is pure speculation on my part, but I would say that the Fema credits would count towards Free Electives only. Gen Ed credits are Liberal Arts courses in Humanities (art, english, music, etc.), Social Sciences (psych, sociology, history, etc.), and Natural Sciences and Mathmatics. Sorry, I do not know the number of credits, or other limitations, that TESC awards for fema either.
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="3"]Bachelor of Science - Excelsior College[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Areas of Focus: Administrative/Management & Health Professions[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I have no first hand knowledge either but I have to take an educated guess and say TESC will not take Fema courses for General Ed. I am in the process right now of having TESC review them so hopefully I will know in a few weeks. I'll post an update when I find out.
Yeah if you can post that info when you find out that would be great...or send me a private message.

I just don't want to take any courses for nothing if my FEMA credits will take care of them. I am financially strapped and really cannot afford to be making financial mistakes. That's why I'm trying so hard to get a complete list of all the courses/CLEPS/DANTES I will need to finish my degree.

I took an educated guess too and thought the same thing that you guys did. So just to clarify...I should be definitely okay with the free electives, but for the general education electives and the business electives, I will definitely have to go the CLEP/DANTES route correct?

Thanks for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
Everything I've read on several forums says that the FEma courses can be used as free electives. Hopefully I can post with 100% certainty in a few weeks. Smile
Unless you are in an Emergency Management or Fire Safety program, TESC will only accept FEMA for free electives.

Once you pay your fee, you can set up an appointment with an advisor and work out your degree plan which will list the courses you can take to complete that plan that are TESC courses. If no TESC course exists for a requirement, you can confer with the advisor as to how to complete that requirement (either another college, testing, etc.) and those options may also appear on your plan if they are readily available.
[SIZE="6"]Pattie[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]CLEP:
[SIZE="1"]English Comp 101 & 102 - Analysis & Interpretation of Literature 130 & 131 - Intro to Marketing[/SIZE]
TECEP:
[SIZE="1"]Marketing Comm - PR Thought & Practice - Intro to News Reporting - Sales Management - Operations Management - Marketing Research - Business in Society[/SIZE]
DSST:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to Computers[/SIZE]
FEMA:
[SIZE="1"]12 FREE Credits![/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Associate of Science in Management, TESC - 9/17/04
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, TESC - 6/6/08

Smile
To get a straight answer to your question, you would have to ask a TESC advisor. Yes, you need to pay the $75 registration fee before you have any of your questions answered but sometimes, if you call enough and harrass them (like I did before I paid), they will give you an answer. It may not be the one you were hoping for but at least it will lead you to the right direction.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
I spoke with an adviser about this a while ago and it is true fema courses are only good as free electives unless you are going for an emergency management degree
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
Pattie Wrote:Unless you are in an Emergency Management or Fire Safety program, TESC will only accept FEMA for free electives.

Once you pay your fee, you can set up an appointment with an advisor and work out your degree plan which will list the courses you can take to complete that plan that are TESC courses. If no TESC course exists for a requirement, you can confer with the advisor as to how to complete that requirement (either another college, testing, etc.) and those options may also appear on your plan if they are readily available.

What she said Wink

They're free electives unless you're in the Emergency Management or Fire Safety programs.

Mine all counted for Free electives only.
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
mlwilliamsiv,

The quote in your sig line that you attributed to Oliver Wendell Holmes "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us", is actually a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Nice quote though.

- Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 6,461 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 3,124 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,617 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Which school accepts FEMA? collegechick 13 9,660 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,400 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 4,274 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 11,498 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,953 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,976 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 13,857 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808