Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teens Graduating Early ... What will you do next?
I'm working on getting my AA in Liberal Arts from TE. I hope to have that done by 2011, when I graduate from HS.

I'm also currently working on getting my Midwifery Certificate. After I have my AA, I should have Spanish down pretty well, so in Summer 2011, I plan on going to the Philippines for 3 months, to work as a Missionary Midwife with the Mercy Maternity Center.
After I get back, I plan on getting my Nutrition Certificate, & EMT Certification.
By 2013, I hope to be on the Missionfield, as a Missionary Midwife for God.
(My 3 passion are Midwifery, Missions & Horses.)

Getting a degree is my family's requirement, but because I'm planning on getting so many Certifications, my dad allowed me to only get an AA.
Sarah
TMW2010 Wrote:There's a few things you can do to get closer to making a position with the FBI a dream come true.

The CJ degree is a good start. You'll want to learn 1-2 additional languages if you're not multidegree already (obviously one of the many arabic dialects would be looked at favorably as well as spanish, but even the less popular languages can be helpful.) You'll also want a few years in your chosen field under your belt, as well (at least 3) and an advanced degree is helpful.

As for FBI internships, they've only got two for which they're currently accepting applications. The first being the National Security Internship (which requires Arabic) and the second is the Visiting Scientists program.

Yeah, I'll probably try to learn another language before I apply, probably Arabic. But I'm pretty stupid with languages (except german which I love love love), so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that :nopity: But they do have several entrance programs, including language. If you apply under any other entrance program the language is not essential (but helpful).

JanusthePhoenix Wrote:I agree. Learning Arabic would be a huge selling point for FBI, or really any major government agency today.

I must point out that "FBI Profiler" is not an actual job like it is on TV. Also I'm not sure why you consider a position at the local PD to be a more "real" job than interning at the FBI. If it was me, I would choose FBI over local PD in a heartbeat unless I really wanted to distance myself from the federals for some reason.

lol Yeah I realize that, I do my research Wink I'm interested in profiling for what it is, not for the position :p And believe me, I would take an internship at the FBI over the local PD ANY day. I was talking about real job as opposed to traveling, if that's what I ended up doing.
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
PonyGirl93-
Arabic is a great way to go if you're thinking national security, CIA, that sort of thing.

BTW: the detectives I know don't like to talk about their jobs. I know on TV it looks cool (solving big mysteries, psychic psycho [ok maybe not that one], ya know), but really, the bodies they find and analyze at are dead. Stiff, stinky, decaying...dead. You've said you've done your research. AWESOME. Just shadow the PD detectives or the fibbies and see if you really like it. One more thing: Family life doesn't mix well with these types of jobs.
me = Cool
cr: 63
jwilson08 Wrote:PonyGirl93-
Arabic is a great way to go if you're thinking national security, CIA, that sort of thing.

BTW: the detectives I know don't like to talk about their jobs. I know on TV it looks cool (solving big mysteries, psychic psycho [ok maybe not that one], ya know), but really, the bodies they find and analyze at are dead. Stiff, stinky, decaying...dead. You've said you've done your research. AWESOME. Just shadow the PD detectives or the fibbies and see if you really like it. One more thing: Family life doesn't mix well with these types of jobs.

Yeah, I can't decide what branch I'm most interested in... I have time though Wink Probably not homicide, but maybe. My dad has a friend/student who is a PI, so she's going to kind of "take me under her wing" in some stuff... She doesn't investigate any violent crimes or domestic cases (incidentally the stuff I think I'm most interested in), but she should be able to give me a taste :]
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
RachelLamb,

Wow, I'm interested in midwifery too, and have actually looked into Mercy Maternity Center! How are you getting your certificate? What program are you using? Has midwifery been all you thought it would be? Any tips for program searches?
I sorta got in on the late end of stuff and am helping my younger brothers and sisters get their degrees going early. :leaving:

I got a Culinary Arts certificate right off and then took a several year break for travel, mission trip and volunteer work. The great thing is, I got the degree I have now because of the years of volunteer work with the American Red Cross.

Now at 27, with degree in hand and the experiences I've had since highschool, I would really recommend at least a little travel and volunteering to everyone that still has the flexibility of singleness. Giving of yourself to others is a great learning and growing experience. Experiencing a new and completely different culture is incredibly broadening. After seeing people live in 1 room flats in the Ukraine you really have a better understanding of how little you actually need to live a full and happy life. It's not about possessions it's about people. Smile
~Autumn

Master of Arts - Emergency and Disaster Management - Estimated Completion 2014
Bachelor of Science Human Services in Emergency Disaster Services - TESC- December 2009
Culinary Arts Certificate - Boise State University 2002

Education teaches a man to spell experience.Big Grin
RachelLamb Wrote:I'm working on getting my AA in Liberal Arts from TE. I hope to have that done by 2011, when I graduate from HS.

I'm also currently working on getting my Midwifery Certificate. After I have my AA, I should have Spanish down pretty well, so in Summer 2011, I plan on going to the Philippines for 3 months, to work as a Missionary Midwife with the Mercy Maternity Center.
After I get back, I plan on getting my Nutrition Certificate, & EMT Certification.
By 2013, I hope to be on the Missionfield, as a Missionary Midwife for God.
(My 3 passion are Midwifery, Missions & Horses.)

Getting a degree is my family's requirement, but because I'm planning on getting so many Certifications, my dad allowed me to only get an AA.
Sarah
>>

Ok, so maybe no one cares about this except for me....but I want to post here about this one teeny-tiny-little-thing that is otherwise off topic.....

There are no legal or accredited midwifery certificates in the United States. How do I know? Because I'm on a 7+ year path to becoming a doctorate-prepared midwife, and I assure you if there was a way to do so with an AA degree and a certificate- I'd be all on it Smile There isn't.

There are LOTS of unaccredited lay midwife "degree" programs- these are not even nationally accredited, just unaccredited. These are diploma mills! RUN don't walk in the other direction. They certainly don't qualify you to hold a state license and practice midwifery. (which is illegal without a license- illegal as in real jail time) It is against the law to practice midwifery/medicine without a license.

Anyway- the route to midwifery is basically:
1) become a registered nurse
2) complete a nursing program and hold a bachelor's degree (many paths here)
3) accumulate no less than 1 year full time nurse work experience
4) enroll in a regionally accredited master's degree-issuing Nurse Practitioner program with your major/concentration/etc as midwifery. (effective 2015 this changes to doctorate requirement for entry level)
5) graduate with a doctorate degree
6) sit and pass American College of Nurse Midwives exam
7) apply and obtain state license as a Certified Nurse Midwife
8) purchase malpractice insurance (roughly $1000/month)
9. Once insured, find a job and catch babies Smile

There are a few slight variations, but that's the Cliffs notes version.

I'm not downing this poster- I promise I'm not. If she is REALLY interested in midwifery, I WANT to help her get on the path. I love midwifery, and while it's not something often talked about here (obviously) it really is a calling. To date, I have watched 1 friend in trial for practicing midwifery w/o a license and another have the contents of her home searched. These two women, friends of mine, were practicing outside of the law. It is what it is- and they are good at what they do- but what they do is currently against the law in my state. That said- there are LEGAL paths to a solid career of baby catching in the hospital under the supervision of a physician. I am proud to call 9 certified nurse midwives friends. You can have your own practice, prescribe medication, take care of women across the lifespan, and earn a nice living...if you do it the proper way. I'm solidly in the "camp" of operating your practice legally.

I'll even admit that I have had 4 midwife- attended births. One and four were in the hospital attended by nurse midwives, and numbers two and three were born at home with midwives operating outside of the law. I have seen both sides, and understand both sides very very well. I do- I know the arguments FOR lay midwifery, I could probably tell you some new ones....but the reality is that you must be properly trained. In my opinion, knowing what I know after 15 years of soaking up this subject, I just must encourage anyone considering this path to do so properly.

So please, I am happy to help. Please PM me and we will chat. But, for the integrity of this thread, I just couldn't let this slip through unchecked.

Now- back to your regularly scheduled chit chat lol.
Cookderosa,

I agree, legal is the only way to go, especially with something like midwifery! However, in some states there are other ways to become a legal, licensed midwife other than by becoming a CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife, the route you’ve described). Depending on the state, those who meet NARM requirements for certification (The North American Registry of Midwives) as well as their individual state requirements are eligible to become a CPM (Certified Professional Midwife). CPMs have a very limited practice, are not certified to prescribe medication or give continuity of care throughout the lifespan, are restricted to low-risk home births, etc. However, as long as they stay within the guidelines of their state, they are legally able to practice midwifery. Some states do not allow CPMs at all, only CNMs (North Carolina in as example), but in most states they are legal, although some are more restricted than others. Texas, where I live, is on of the easier places to become and practice as a CPM. Depending on their goals, many women choose the CPM option over the CNM option, because it’s cheaper but they can still receive excellent, valid training, and because they desire to do home births only. I know a missionary who chose this option, and she is even able to deliver babies in hospitals in the country she’s living (although I don't think this is typical). Many aspiring missionaries, such as RachelLamb, choose this option as well. You’re right, the programs that offer certificates or degrees are not accredited, but they do provide all the materials needed to pass the NARM and state requirements, and thus become legal. Ultimately, aspiring midwives need to assess their goals and determine which option is right for them. Because both are legal, I’m all for both CNMs and CPMs, and I think that both options are great!

Anyway, I don’t want this to turn into a “how to become a midwife” thread, that’s just my two cents!
MissCLEP Wrote:"Because both are legal, I’m all for both CNMs and CPMs, and I think that both options are great! "

I don't want to turn this into a midwifery thread either. But just for clarity,it's not chocolate vs vanilla. They are completely different, and they are both certainly not "legal" in the same way. We were not really talking about CPMs, but since you brought it up.

CNMs are advanced nurse practitioners who are licensed to catch babies in all 50 states independantly or as part of an OB practice. They have master's degrees and after 2015 will have doctorate degrees. They receive insurance and Medicaid reimbursement, and work alongside OBs in clinics, hospitals and birth centers. They order labs, and have access to medical testing, have hospital privilege, and at any point in pregnancy can transfer her care to an OB if necessary. (including in the middle of a delivery).

CPMs are "legal" in 18 states, but are only able to receive Medicaid reimbursement in 7 states. (Texas isn't one of the magic 7 BTW) Getting physician backup is a rare, getting hospital privilege is rare, and getting insurance payment is highly unlikely. They don't have access to ultrasound machines, and can't order labs. Do you know a SINGLE non-nurse midwife who has malpractice insurance? One? If you say yes, I won't believe you. You can't catch enough cash-paying babies to afford insurance.
CPMs send women to the ER in an emergency, where she will fend for herself. Most CPMs are homebirth and birthcenter midwives flying on a hope and a prayer. CPMs are lucky to earn a living and risk unemployment everyday as the AMA and other lobbyists are pushing HARD to make what they do illegal.

Understand I'm not debating a woman's ability to choose where she gives birth. I'm not looking at this as a consumer- I'm looking at it as a practitioner.

As a consumer- I'm 100% pro-CPM. I'm sure that sounds conflicted, but I DO believe in a woman's ability to choose where she gives birth and who her provider should be. I had 2 "illegal" midwife-attended births, so if we were talking as consumers....I'd have a different set of arguments.

Speaking to the training and education of a practitioner, I'm clarifying the difference between CNMs, CMPs, and lay midwives. You and I both know that "most" aspiring CMPs are actually lay midwives, apprentices, or doulas, or montrice, or whatever they need to be to get into the business. Since lay midwifery and CMPs have nothing to do with obtaining an academic education, certainly not CLEPping, this is really off topic lol. So- I'll step out now :p
Good points, Cookderosa!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How I Saved $380K By Age 29 To Retire Early LevelUP 21 2,530 05-12-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Student Loans Cancelled for an Entire Graduating Class Jonathan Whatley 9 2,480 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  17-year-old to graduate from Harvard days after graduating high school quigongene 0 1,221 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  homeschool teens and parents wanted! cookderosa 1 843 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Graduating tomorrow! TayTay 31 4,055 05-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  Are all of today's teens/20-somethings dealing with entitlement issues? TMW2010 56 9,157 07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Last Post: ryoder