Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BSBA Accounting, CPA in Texas Questions, and my Degree Plan.
keepsingin Wrote:The DSST Principles of Finance's acceptance by TESU is expiring 1/31/17 (see here). I'm not sure if they'll renew it or not; they just extended it from Dec 31st 2016 to Jan 31 2017.

I think I've read on this forum that Penn Foster is about the only other alternative beside Study.com and DSST for this course...?

Does this happen periodically? The DSSTs are listed as either expiring Dec. 31, 2017, Jan. 31, 2017 or Dec. 31, 2018. Is there some sort of rolling renewal thing, or do I need to move the Finance exam up to top priority?
bghill Wrote:Does this happen periodically? The DSSTs are listed as either expiring Dec. 31, 2017, Jan. 31, 2017 or Dec. 31, 2018. Is there some sort of rolling renewal thing, or do I need to move the Finance exam up to top priority?

They seem to do their exams in "batches" so different exams will have different renewal dates. It lasts for 3 years.

They also do take exams out sometimes, so if you want the DSST rather than Study.com or PF, I would move it up.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:They seem to do their exams in "batches" so different exams will have different renewal dates. It lasts for 3 years.

They also do take exams out sometimes, so if you want the DSST rather than Study.com or PF, I would move it up.

I'll do that. Thanks for the tip!
bghill Wrote:Does this happen periodically? The DSSTs are listed as either expiring Dec. 31, 2017, Jan. 31, 2017 or Dec. 31, 2018. Is there some sort of rolling renewal thing, or do I need to move the Finance exam up to top priority?

They extended the expiration again, this time to March, which is a good sign that it is probably just a rolling renewal.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
Well, I've taken the exam now, anyway. Glad to have it done and out of the way. And I saved $17 because of the "sale" DSST was having in January.
Synicaal Wrote:A few notes on you post.

1. You can save money by taking the College Comp CLEP exam. 50+ is 6 credits and runs about 100$ with test center fee. Better then the SL courses and all the work you have to do. Also don't know if you already took the Tax courses but you can take the Tax TECEP for about $114 and that does count for ACC credits for my CPA anyways.
2. You may want to mix up you Accounting Credits, All that Taxation coursework I'm not sure if that will work for the degree and it most certainly wont work for your CPA sit requirements.
3. I cannot stress enough the importance of talking directly to whoever gives the CPA test for Texas and explain to them in detail your plan and if it will work. For New York my plan will work for the CPA exam but I am taking a lot of Accounting credits outside of testing out. New York wont take my Penn Foster class or the SL, Study.com credits as Accounting. They do count them towards the 150 though. Really all I have to do outside of my TESU degree is 2 Accounting classes outside of my degree plan, Auditing and anything else I haven't taken. States are very picky when it comes to the CPA.
4. For your masters degree question, If I do go on to get my Masters in Accounting I will be enrolling at UAlbany here in New York. They have NO GPA requirements. Then have a GMAT and Recommendation requirements and that is all.

Side Note: There is plenty of people who get into good masters degree programs after earning a Bachelors from TESU. However, the suggestion that is made all the time on this forum is find out what you need to qualify for the Masters degree you want / and or CPA exam, and then work backwards from that. Don't work from A - Z but Z-A so know what you will need to do and how to get there first. Then do it.

Synicaal,

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I just noticed that you mentioned that NY State will not accept accounting credits from SL, Study, or Penn Foster. Do you know anything about NJ? I had just assumed that since TESU is a state college that any accounting credits they will accept will be accepted for the CPA as well, but now I'm really questioning that assumption. How would I find out?

I don't plan on continuing with a Master's in Accounting, I was just planning on sitting for the CPA with a TESU degree in accounting.

Thanks!
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
I contacted the governing board in NJ and was told that if it appears on my TESU transcript and they accepted it that they will as well
Kgaul Wrote:I contacted the governing board in NJ and was told that if it appears on my TESU transcript and they accepted it that they will as well

Oh, wow, thanks!
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
sarg123 Wrote:Synicaal,

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I just noticed that you mentioned that NY State will not accept accounting credits from SL, Study, or Penn Foster. Do you know anything about NJ? I had just assumed that since TESU is a state college that any accounting credits they will accept will be accepted for the CPA as well, but now I'm really questioning that assumption. How would I find out?

I don't plan on continuing with a Master's in Accounting, I was just planning on sitting for the CPA with a TESU degree in accounting.

Thanks!

No idea about New Jersey with the CPA Exam. Its funny that New York will accept ACE Credit for the number of credits complete but not for the actual accounting requirements. This is one of two reasons I am getting my Accounting Credits from BM schools (accepts for a few UL). Since this post however I have decided not to pursue the CPA only to be eligible to sit for it. Having the eligibility to sit for it seems to carry a lot of weight with Civil Service and that's is where I am looking at moving up in my career.

On a Side note I am looking for a good Auditing Course, Was going to do Oakton's Auditing over the Summer but that teacher has 3 proctored tests and at 33$ each I'm not trying to spend another 100$ on a course outside of the actual course fee.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:On a Side note I am looking for a good Auditing Course, Was going to do Oakton's Auditing over the Summer but that teacher has 3 proctored tests and at 33$ each I'm not trying to spend another 100$ on a course outside of the actual course fee.

http://www.tntech.edu has an online auditing course I'm thinking of taking, ACCT 3620 - Auditing I. Price is something like application fee + $360 + $75 + textbook. There are prolly a few other hidden fees as well... Might be a good option; I haven't asked tesu about its transferability yet.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,460 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 4,028 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,505 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,761 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 4,072 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 3,123 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,606 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,872 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,583 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,780 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic