Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Degree question
I'm currently enrolled at TESC or I assume I am since I sent them my transcripts and they lumped me into the Military Degree Completion Plan. However, as I have posted before I do not plan on taking a class or any TECEPs with them. I am under the old catalog and am under the impression I have 6 months to take a class with them or I will be dis-enrolled and have to apply again under the new catalog which I don't guess is all that bad either as it will probably require just 2 addition classes in Public Speaking and American Government.

My main question is, can you complete 2 degrees under the same catalog? I am planning on knocking out the BSBA in General Mgmt and then also completing the BSBA in CIS as well. Is this even possible? If I finish the General Mgmt degree under the old catalog will the CIS plan be under the old catalog as well?
As far as I know you will have to take the Capstone whether under the last or new catalog. It is possible to earn 2 degrees under one catalog but you must finish one then take the new credits (usually 24) before earning the 2nd degree. You have applied and that will hold your place and catalog for 6 months, after if you enroll you still go on that catalog. New requirements usually post on July 1st after that you are under new rules if not enrolled.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:As far as I know you will have to take the Capstone whether under the last or new catalog. It is possible to earn 2 degrees under one catalog but you must finish one then take the new credits (usually 24) before earning the 2nd degree. You have applied and that will hold your place and catalog for 6 months, after if you enroll you still go on that catalog. New requirements usually post on July 1st after that you are under new rules if not enrolled.

Appears I do not have a capstone or I least I'm not seeing one on my evaluation unless it's the Strategic Mgmt course for the BSBA. Also, if I enroll to take a TECEP, does that keep me current for another year or do I actually have to take it.? Just trying to gather a little more information about the process and when I might try and take a TECEP or not take one.

I'm thinking of trying the CIS-107 TECEP to fulfill a slot in this area, leaving me only one other class to take to fulfill this section.

Business Electives (9sh)
> Complete 9 sh from accounting, banking, business, computer
> applications, computer information systems, finance,
> management, hotel/motel/restaurant management, insurance,
> operations management, public administration, real
> estate, law, marketing, and retailing management,
> fundraising.
!! Exception
uner 1 sh core
take 10 sh

Semester Hours Completed: 4.00 Required: 10 Remaining: 6
Src Course # Title S.H. Grd TESC # Notes
3.. EDP2183 Adv Computer Networking.. 3.00 CR CAP-181 *CC *TE
3.. LMM1102 Managerial Communications 1.00 CR MAN-273 *CC *TE
_____________________________________________________________________ 3 credits
_____________________________________________________________________ 3 credits
You actually have to take and pass the TECEP to get current for another year.

Strategic Management IS the capstone for the BSBA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESC has contract programs such as military, corporate choice, etc. The contract programs have slightly different requirements/benefits. You may want to check with TESC. Signing up for a TECEP will either enroll you or extend your enrollment depending on your current status. As far as I know failing a TECEP will not affect your enrollment but it will affect your residency credits. If you are an applicant when you sign up for any TESC course including TECEPs you become an enrolled student 10 days after the semester begins. If you are currently enrolled then signing up for a TECEP will extend the enrollment another 12 months. If you log onto Online Student Services it will tell you what your status is (applicant or enrolled) and when your current status will expire.

It looks like for the Military Degree Completion Program you are considered enrolled when you apply. Enrollments are typically good for 12 months.
http://www.tesc.edu/military/degree-completion.cfm

How does it work for the BSBA? The BA degrees allow a second area of study within one bachelors degree but I'm not familiar with the BSBA degrees.
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
This is on the website for regular (non-military) students: "A student’s enrollment date is defined as the date the College receives the Annual Enrollment Tuition or Comprehensive Tuition or the 10th day of a term in which the student enrolls under the Per Credit Tuition Plan. This fee or tuition covers a period of one year of service. Students who are enrolled in the Per Credit Tuition Plan must earn at least three Thomas Edison State College credits in each continuous 12 month period to maintain activity." Not sure what the rules are for military, you need to check on that. But at least you have somewhere to start from.

As for a second degree in the BSBA area, I too am thinking of getting my Accounting degree after HR. You need to make sure that you ask about "two areas of study within one degree" rather than a "second bachelor's degree". Totally different thing. You basically do them concurrently, rather than getting one and then the 24 credits required to do a completely different second degree.

Here's what the website says about it:
"Two Areas of Study Within One Degree
Students may complete up to two areas of study within one bachelor’s degree. No more than 9 credits that are used in the first area of study may be used for the second area of study. All related required credits for each area of study, as well as all degree requirements, must be met at the same time. Students cannot complete a third area of study within one bachelor’s degree."

So with this, you would complete the courses required for a BSBA in General Management, and the GenEd and Professional Business Requirements (Core) would satisfy everything you needed for both degrees. You would just need to do the Area of Study requirements for each, and there could be overlap of up to 9 credits (with Management and CIS, I think the only overlap would be Management Info Systems, although I would see if Project Management might overlap as well).

I would plan it out carefully with Advising, to make sure that you take any and all courses that overlap, to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. And make sure that they can be done concurrently, which I think is possible.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 4,058 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,531 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 3,176 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 5,066 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,784 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,976 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 5,444 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 3,005 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,676 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 2,177 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM