Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC CIS Electives
I'm currently enrolled in Thomas Edison State College and set to graduate on March 15. But, because some of my old CIS electives were done at my previous school on the quarter system, I am now 1 credit shy of my CIS elective credits. Is there an open-enrollment online self-paced distance learning class that I can use to fill these requirements. My searches have been finding schools with self paced online classes but not for computer related courses, or online computer related courses that are not self-paced. Does anyone know of a school that can help me avoid delaying my graduation until June.

These are the recommended CIS electives I can choose from, but other computer related classes would likely be added as a generic computer elective and fill my requirements as long as they are 200-level or higher classes.

CIS-311 Database Management
CIS-351 Software Engineering
CMP-202 Fundamentals of Information Technology
CMP-354 Network Technology
COS-231 Assembly Language
COS-241 Data Structures
COS-352 Operating Systems

Thanks for your help.
I'm assuming you already took the DSST for Management Information Systems. You can take the TECEP for Networking Technologies.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
You might want to try the TEEX cyber courses. check out the thread going for that in the search field here. It is free and it looks like you can get 2 credits for each section you take (up to potentially 6). No one knows how they will transfer over yet but I would think it would be a CIS elective. Also dont know if it wil be a 200-level or higher either.
Yes, I have already taken the DSST MIS exam, and the CLEP Info. Sys. exam as well. The TEEX classes are interesting, but I would hate to go through the classes, only to find out that they won't count for UL credit or otherwise won't help me meet my graduation date. I thought I recall seeing some independent study computer classes available, but I can't remember the university. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
This thread on KCTCS may give you some ideas.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
Unfortunately, the KCTCS classes listed in the link aren't available anymore.

The CIS 120 is now a totally different course (which may or may not count towards Systems Analysis and Design at TESC)
and they aren't offering the database, networking, or MS Administration classes now.

I signed up for Learn on Demand, went through two months of jumping through their hoops to get set up as a student,
and *poof* the classes I signed up for aren't even in the database anymore. They say they are under review, but frankly after
dealing with those people I wouldn't believe a thing they say.

To paraphrase Patches O'Houlahan from Dodgeball "KCTCS is like a bunch of retards humping a doorknob". No offense to retards.
Take the tecep its cmp354.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
bluk30 Wrote:Unfortunately, the KCTCS classes listed in the link aren't available anymore.

The CIS 120 is now a totally different course (which may or may not count towards Systems Analysis and Design at TESC)
and they aren't offering the database, networking, or MS Administration classes now.

I signed up for Learn on Demand, went through two months of jumping through their hoops to get set up as a student,
and *poof* the classes I signed up for aren't even in the database anymore. They say they are under review, but frankly after
dealing with those people I wouldn't believe a thing they say.

I am sorry to hear that, but thank you for the update.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are the electives or cornerstone waived if you already have a BA Dowew 2 1,237 03-29-2020, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Something "fun" for free credits/electives amberwalk 5 1,513 08-20-2019, 07:00 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Easiest way to get electives?? studyandpass5 9 2,027 05-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Computer Information Systems AOS Electives mofutofu 5 2,374 06-28-2018, 01:21 AM
  "Free electives" and extra classes MNomadic 11 2,836 05-10-2018, 02:14 PM
  Which Penn Foster class = TESC Strategic management? Can219 18 4,221 03-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Free electives question Chef945 7 2,636 10-07-2017, 12:53 AM
Last Post: NHarr01
  Bsba tesc Collegelady2 20 3,478 05-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Collegelady2
  Advice for degree plan TESC BA in Liberal Studies Vol 4 1,620 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Understanding the Physical & Natural World TESC requirement - Science course options? gremlinbrawler 21 3,165 03-27-2017, 05:35 PM