Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T.j
Post test jitters!:confused: Anyone with input on Human Growth and Development ? Taking exam August 3rd. No idea what to expect.
I did not take it yet but plan on taking it in August as well. I have no definite advice but I heard that it's worth it to take together with Intro. Educational Psychology. From what I heard, the material overlaps. I was advised to take Educational Psychology first and then Human Growth and Developement since Educational psy. covers most of Hum. Gr. and Dev.
Good luck!
t.j Wrote:Post test jitters!:confused: Anyone with input on Human Growth and Development ? Taking exam August 3rd. No idea what to expect.
>>

Why would you take a test that you haven't prepped for? You have 16 weeks of material to cram into 1 week? I'd get to work or reschedule.
green Wrote:since Educational psy. covers most of Hum. Gr. and Dev.
Good luck!

I'd say its closer to about 40-50% if that much... And there's a bunch of stuff on HG&D that I'd never seen mentioned in the posts here about it in the main for OR the test specific threads.

No, I didn't use IC at the time, I fell for the 'If you know EDU Psych, you've got HG&D covered' sentiment... Which is likely why my HG&D score was about 10 points lower... But if you're going for a 'pass is a pass', you may or may not make it depending on how hard you study.

And not to split hairs, but wouldn't it be pre-test jitters?
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
It would be helpful to have a little more information about your situation... Have you taken any Cleps before? Have you taken any Psych cleps or dsst that might have given you a foundation before this test? have you been in college at all ... recently or many years ago?? There are just too many variables for each person to give you exact advice. I will tell you my experience if that helps.... I took Human GD a few months ago, it was my first Clep, last time i was in college was 25 yrs ago. Sooo, I studied for 2 months because I had not taken a psych course in 25 yrs and needed a solid foundation of psych to prepare for this test. I took my time to learn the concepts. I studied using IC flashcards, REA test prep book for HGD, and an intro to psych textbook and wikipedia. I definitely put the work in because it had been so long since I was in college and had no clue what these tests were like. I also looked at the Specific Exam feedback on this forum (you have to be a paying member to access that) and I also took the free Peterson tests (there are 3 of them) and they definitely help you gauge whether you know the material. I got a 75 on this test and it was due to putting in the work that I needed to do for me (that is the key- what I needed to do for me). But everyone is different. Some people can study for a few days and pass. But maybe they had psych courses recently or maybe they have photographic memory etc--that's what I mean--there are too many variables to know how to advise people to prepare. Please let us know more info and maybe we can steer you to what might help!! welcome to the forum by the way Smile
cookderosa Wrote:>>

Why would you take a test that you haven't prepped for? You have 16 weeks of material to cram into 1 week? I'd get to work or reschedule.
You are overestimating the difficulty of this test. Like every CLEP I have taken, test-taking ability was much more important than actually studying or knowing anything. (I have ranted about this before)

I studied for less than four hours. All I did was learn the major perspectives, a brief overview on the development process throughout life, the theororists by name and read the glossary to a textbook. Of course, what I learned was not equal to a 16-week course, but I still passed with a very good score.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

I posted some feedback in the HG & D specific feedback folder.. If you cover whats listed in the feedback you will pass. There is ALOT of data covered, I was extremely overwhelmed trying to prep for this test, but I am also not a good test taker. I get really anxious (sp) I think I studied for 4 weeks and the last week of studied everynight 3 hours min.

Good Luck..
Maniac Craniac Wrote:You are overestimating the difficulty of this test. Like every CLEP I have taken, test-taking ability was much more important than actually studying or knowing anything. (I have ranted about this before)

I studied for less than four hours. All I did was learn the major perspectives, a brief overview on the development process throughout life, the theororists by name and read the glossary to a textbook. Of course, what I learned was not equal to a 16-week course, but I still passed with a very good score.
>>

Welcome back btw Smile
You can't tell newbs that they don't have to study. Wait until at least their 3rd post.
Maniac- can you clarify what you mean by this

"Like every CLEP I have taken, test-taking ability was much more important than actually studying or knowing anything."
cookderosa Wrote:>>

Welcome back btw Smile
You can't tell newbs that they don't have to study. Wait until at least their 3rd post.
Please allow me to clarify. I would never encourage anyone to study little or less. In fact, I would encourage everyone to over-study. I am disapointed that I allowed my schedule to get so insane that I was not able to study for the test thoroughly. I'm not satisfied with simply passing a test- I can do that without studying at all. I want to learn as much as I can, remember as much as I can and have the ability to use what I learn outside of filling in test bubbles. There are both valuable information to be learned and valuable skills to be earned through putting real work into your studies. I want that for myself and want that for everyone else.
creative Wrote:Maniac- can you clarify what you mean by this

"Like every CLEP I have taken, test-taking ability was much more important than actually studying or knowing anything."
While some of the questions require that you know the terminology, most of them only require that you read the question carefully and eliminate answers that are obviously wrong. Other than that, you will find many questions that basically ask the exact same thing, only using different words. If you can figure out the answer to one of them, you know the answer to all of them. Lastly, on every single exam I have taken so far, it has been possible to piece together at least 5 answers (sometimes up to 10) simply by reading questions that have related content and finding one answer within the content of another question.

For example, question number 12 might be "What is A?" then question number 45 might be "Since A is the opposite of B, then what is B?" Then, question 62 might ask "In what year did Such And Such a person define B as being ____?"

From simply reading question 62, you learn the answer to 45 which also gives you the answer to 12.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]