Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helping my sister, have a few questions
Hello all,

I am working on my own path but my older sister is also wanting to see how she can work towards her degree.
Unfortunately she doesn't have as many credits to transfer over as I did so it's more like starting from scratch so I need some guidance. 

She attended a local nationally accredited college and got an IT certificate of completion in 2012 (from the college, nothing of the industry standard) and did nothing with it as life happened. She never took any of the industry certification exams thereafter.

Prior to that, she did a short run at the local CC.

I have attached the credits and my question is whether I should just disregard the NA ones and make a plan based around the RA only. I am thinking she should do an IT bachelors if they do transfer, but if not then maybe she and I can choose a different path and work from there.

Attached Files
.pdf   CreditsSis.pdf (Size: 25.75 KB / Downloads: 20)
If she wants to make use of the NA credits, she could go with Excelsior. They accept NA credits. COSC and TESU do not accept them. But it may or may not be possible to do an IT degree at EC through alternate means; they've recently changed credit acceptance policies to make it at least slightly easier but I haven't looked into it in depth.

On the bright side, if she wants to do either TESU or COSC, she does have 5 RA classes (which should be 15 credits, yes?). 3 classes from Olivet Nazarene ($450) and she's good to go for both COSC and TESU. Depending on where ENGL301 transfers to, I would probably suggest College Writing I and/or College Writing II at Olivet just to avoid the craziness that can be Sophia.org's grading for English Comp I&II.

If she wants a Comp Sci degree or a BSBA CIS degree, these are relatively easy to get at TESU with alt credits (I'm currently working on both; check the wiki for plans for both degrees). COSC does have a Cyber Security degree but I'm not sure that can be obtained with alt credits (probably not). I think one can get a business degree at COSC via alternate means, though, if that interests her.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
It's really hard to tell what will come in and how, so her best options are:

COSC - BSBA or BSLS, no NA transfer, cheapest option
EC - BSLS, NA credits may transfer, 2nd cheapest option
TESU - BSBA/CIS, BALS or BACS (with Algebra 2 as her highest math, I'm going to guess this is off the table?), no NA transfer, most expensive option

WGU - BSIT or another IT degree, she's probably want to do WGU-Academy and do English Comp and the A+ cert, they take NA transfer - not sure where it falls in the expense list, as it depends on if she does 1, 2, or 3 terms

I'd probably apply to all 4 and see what you get.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 564 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU SE questions, pls & thx alfonsod 13 1,113 12-07-2023, 10:38 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  TESU Business Core questions Yenisei 8 579 12-07-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  UMPI BABA - Questions, Help Needed mram1 10 888 09-02-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  My sister wants an ITish degree MrPanda 17 1,938 08-24-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Questions about tentative UMPI degree plan Dooj 13 1,200 06-13-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Helping daughter with degree plan. Is my line of thinking correct? Dooj 20 1,557 06-03-2023, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Questions about Excelsior BSLA lonelySamurai 8 728 04-09-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: lonelySamurai
  Questions about Excelsior BSLA degree planning Thanksforhelphere 7 921 04-03-2023, 07:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU - credit questions kevinks 6 1,330 03-20-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: kevinks