Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Credits at TESU expire
Do the credits earned through Study.com and/or Sofia expire?  Does TESU ever consider them expired and not accept them?
The credits themselves, like any other college/university credit, are not supposed to expire. This is completely separate from the issue of whether or not a given school will accept them. For instance, TESU stopped accepting credits from a provider called Shmoop, even if those credits were new, for various reasons. There is no indication that this is going to happen with either SDC or Sophia at any time soon.

As far as age goes, TESU is good about accepting old credits. SDC isn't that old but, IIRC, TESU has previously accepted credits that were 25+ years old. For some degrees, they won't accept credits that are more than 8 years old in the AOS but they will accept them in the gen eds section. So, Sophia should be safe indefinitely at TESU. As long as TESU is still accepting Sophia as a provider, the credits should still be good. SDC, it will depend on whether the credits in question are in the AOS or not and for what degree.

But, in a broad general sense, no, these credits never expire.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • StoicJ
(03-26-2021, 02:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The credits themselves, like any other college/university credit, are not supposed to expire. This is completely separate from the issue of whether or not a given school will accept them. For instance, TESU stopped accepting credits from a provider called Shmoop, even if those credits were new, for various reasons. There is no indication that this is going to happen with either SDC or Sophia at any time soon.

As far as age goes, TESU is good about accepting old credits. SDC isn't that old but, IIRC, TESU has previously accepted credits that were 25+ years old. For some degrees, they won't accept credits that are more than 8 years old in the AOS but they will accept them in the gen eds section. So, Sophia should be safe indefinitely at TESU. As long as TESU is still accepting Sophia as a provider, the credits should still be good. SDC, it will depend on whether the credits in question are in the AOS or not and for what degree.

But, in a broad general sense, no, these credits never expire
Thank you so much!  My son is planning a liberal arts degree from TESU.  He's planning to earn 90 credits from SDC & Sophia.  Then he would earn 24 credits from the local community college and finish by completing the cornerstone/capstone from TESU directly online.  He'll be 14 when he starts earning these credits and TESU requires a minimum age of 18 to apply so some of his credits would be 4 -5 years old by that time.
If he's getting a BALS and not a specific degree, you might want to consider COSC or Excelsior. Both have different requirements (30 ULs being the main one) but they both have enrollment policies for minors. They're also less expensive than TESU. There's no way to see the future, of course, but considering it's already been like this for years I envision TESU remaining the most expensive option in 3-4 years.

Also, unless your son really wants/needs the on-campus experience, you might want to consider https://ycacademy.tel-education.org/ for credits.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Study.com Psychology 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology is no longer upper level credits with tesu. Study.com’s needs to be updated.
(03-27-2021, 12:54 PM)Dumber Wrote: Study.com Psychology 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology is no longer upper level credits with tesu. Study.com’s needs to be updated.

That's interesting, ACE still indicates it'll be UL until 2023. I wonder what happened at TESU. Do you have any details or how did you find out?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-27-2021, 01:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 12:54 PM)Dumber Wrote: Study.com Psychology 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology is no longer upper level credits with tesu. Study.com’s needs to be updated.

That's interesting, ACE still indicates it'll be UL until 2023.  I wonder what happened at TESU.  Do you have any details or how did you find out?

Here is what I got from TESU:

On Friday, March 26, 2021, 09:14:16 a.m. MDT, StuSupport <stusupport@tesu.edu> wrote:
It appears that ACE has changed the recommendation for the Study.com course, Psychology 301. Between August 2017 and December 2020, it would have transferred as an upper level course (PSY-401). Now that it's been changed, the new review period runs from January 2021 through August 2023 and the recommendation is PSY-163.

Senior Academic Program Advisor
Thomas Edison State University
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dumber's post:
  • BellaZuri
Is there a benefit to having the TESU classes transfer into Study as a specific class compared to other schools where they don't? If so, what is the benefit?
Oh dear, this is sad, how can a senior advisor make the mistake?!  Now, it's up to you my friend, to correct them... so, reply back and indicate to them, it was supposed to be Lower Level and now it's Upper Level as per the recommendations on ACE's own website.  I mentioned it in my earlier post... so they made a mistake.  If they wanted more details, indicate to them, they may have had it upper level all along but now they should still follow ACE recommendation.  See below...

Lower Level - https://i.imgur.com/Ocrt57V.jpg

[Image: Ocrt57V.jpg]

Upper Level - https://i.imgur.com/WvvUIOV.jpg

[Image: WvvUIOV.jpg]
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • manmanthegr8
(03-27-2021, 02:50 PM)Dumber Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 01:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

That's interesting, ACE still indicates it'll be UL until 2023.  I wonder what happened at TESU.  Do you have any details or how did you find out?

Here is what I got from TESU:

On Friday, March 26, 2021, 09:14:16 a.m. MDT, StuSupport <stusupport@tesu.edu> wrote:
It appears that ACE has changed the recommendation for the Study.com course, Psychology 301. Between August 2017 and December 2020, it would have transferred as an upper level course (PSY-401). Now that it's been changed, the new review period runs from January 2021 through August 2023 and the recommendation is PSY-163.

Senior Academic Program Advisor
Thomas Edison State University

oh dear.  did that one in August so it counted.

I noticed on NCCRS site that SDC course is still listed at upper level. Maybe the NCCRS link would help with your appeal. ?

http://www.nationalccrs.org/organization...ycom#n8484
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 699 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 269 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch