Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student Loan Cancellation Debate
Ouch! Just wow! - “10 [million] borrowers won't even have loan service providers at the end of the year,”

Just two companies - "Granite State and FedLoan Servicing collectively handle at least 10 million student loan borrower accounts — around 25% of the Department of Education’s portfolio."

Interesting set of events, these two companies just blew it!  This hurts!  I wonder how many others will follow suit if they do follow...

And the link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/...sruptions/
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
It's like mortgage service providers - if one stops, there's someone else to take their place. Whatevs.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm against simply cancelling outstanding debt, because I believe that doing so will allow the responsible entities to get away with their misdeeds. Any debt reform needs to address the underlying factors that caused this mess in the first place. If the problems aren't fixed, we'll quickly be back in the same hole.
Essentially, too many students are spending too much money on college. They're racking up balances that they will never realistically pay back. First, more students should be steered towards skilled trades and apprenticeships. Those career paths can generate substantial incomes without massive loans. College isn't the right path for everyone, although some in our society continue to say it is. Second, universities need to slash costs. There's no good reason why gen ed classes at a major school should cost five times what the same classes do at community and technical colleges. Third, utilization of lower-cost credit earning methods needs to increase. Those of us on degreeforum are familiar with many ways to complete cheap credits, but these are foreign concepts to much of the outside world. Fourth, schools should not allow their students to put themselves in a hole. Greater accountability needs to be placed on institutions for student outcomes. If graduates of a program can't find relevant and worthwhile work, that program must be altered or eliminated.
Finally, once the above reforms are implemented, student debt cancellation can be considered.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • ctcarl
I agree with the 10k cancelation. But I don't know how I feel about the 50k. I think it is a great idea for a stimulus package. Some states had made great stride to better upper education access. We need to probably expand the Pell Grant program. The lower-middle class is in an awkward position where they make too much for the grant but too little to actually afford college.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Novo
(07-22-2021, 09:56 AM)ashkir Wrote: I agree with the 10k cancelation. But I don't know how I feel about the 50k. I think it is a great idea for a stimulus package. Some states had made great stride to better upper education access. We need to probably expand the Pell Grant program. The lower-middle class is in an awkward position where they make too much for the grant but too little to actually afford college.

How would that work in terms of folks who recently paid off student loans?  

Plenty of them struggled and scrimped to pay off their debt.  Some delayed marriage and kids, worked multiple jobs, skipped buying a home and/or made other sacrifices in the interest of financial responsibility.  Would they get $10,000 back?
(07-22-2021, 03:54 PM)ctcarl Wrote: How would that work in terms of folks who recently paid off student loans? 

Plenty of them struggled and scrimped to pay off their debt.  Some delayed marriage and kids, worked multiple jobs, skipped buying a home and/or made other sacrifices in the interest of financial responsibility.  Would they get $10,000 back?

This is exactly why I'm against cancellation. People who acted responsibly, saved, scrimped, and sacrificed will get minimal or no benefit. Meanwhile the students and schools racking up debt get bailed out. It's an incentive for financial irresponsibility.
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(07-22-2021, 03:54 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 09:56 AM)ashkir Wrote: I agree with the 10k cancelation. But I don't know how I feel about the 50k. I think it is a great idea for a stimulus package. Some states had made great stride to better upper education access. We need to probably expand the Pell Grant program. The lower-middle class is in an awkward position where they make too much for the grant but too little to actually afford college.

This is like "I had cancer and had to endure that and beat it to survive" after a cancer cure. Just because you struggled doesn't mean you should want everyone to struggle. If you paid it off, great, you were one of the ones that didn't get eat up by the system. Reducing student debt can make a tremendous difference for a lot of people.
The world is suppose to want to improve things for the next generation, not be pissed that they're not suffering as much as the generation before it.
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - May 2025
M.Ed - UoPeople - April 2027

Up Next:
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees:
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 5 users Like TINASAM's post:
  • ashkir, louise, rachel83az, ss20ts, SteveFoerster
(07-22-2021, 04:58 PM)TINASAM Wrote:

This is like "I had cancer and had to endure that and beat it to survive" after a cancer cure. Just because you struggled doesn't mean you should want everyone to struggle. If you paid it off, great, you were one of the ones that didn't get eat up by the system. Reducing student debt can make a tremendous difference for a lot of people.
The world is suppose to want to improve things for the next generation, not be pissed that they're not suffering as much as the generation before it.

So you think that when a cure for cancer is found, previous cancer survivors will be...pissed?  Where did this notion come from?  Do you know any cancer survivors who have expressed these thoughts?  "They better not come out with a cure!  In my day, we had to endure cancer, and beat it!"

Just curious, how do you feel about people who have never had student loans, but have other financial struggles?  Should we forgive loans for college students, but not provide similar financial relief to the majority of the population who are dealing with economic hardship?  How about credit card debt, which impacts many millions of Americans at much higher interest rates?  Wouldn't reducing credit card debt make a tremendous difference for a lot of people?

If that's the goal, why not forgive medical debt?  For that matter, mortgage debt is the biggest chunk of consumer debt out there.  If the goal is to make a tremendous difference for a lot of people, maybe we should forgive mortgage debt.
(07-22-2021, 04:58 PM)TINASAM Wrote:

This isn't ANYTHING like that.  This is "we're screwing over everyone who didn't make bad choices"; coming out with a cure for cancer is just luck, it's not done on purpose.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The ongoing forbearance and rumors of cancellation is prompting me to reconsider my own financial planning. Previously, I rejected my loan awards for the 2021-22 year and elected to pay whatever wasn't covered by aid & scholarships. However, as long as interest isn't accruing (or rather is being subsidized by Uncle Sam), it would make sense for me to put off paying as long as possible. If the progressives do get forgiveness passed, those Federal loan balances could even get wiped out. Also, I could use some more tradelines on my credit report. Altogether, the current student loan atmosphere is making taking on unnecessary loans seem like a responsible option.
Does anyone have experience going back to TESU and asking to use previously rejected loans? I did fill out my MPN, ASLA, and counseling a while ago for the 2021-22 year just in case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 552 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Bridging the Campus Divide With ‘Dangerous Ideas’ and AI Debate Moderators LevelUP 1 305 07-19-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  First AI supercomputer for Georgia Tech student. Imbanewbie 3 549 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gaince
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 356 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 597 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 1,216 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US student visa issuances now exceed pre-COVID levels bjcheung77 1 558 12-26-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  Oopsie, student is attending the wrong institution... bjcheung77 2 561 10-15-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  NYC college student gets 1yr prison sentence in Dubai for touching security guard LevelUP 5 970 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM
  I want Modern States to be in every student’s wheelhouse bjcheung77 0 547 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM