Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline questions
I'm picking one or two Straighterline courses for my 16 year old to work on this summer. He hates writing essays, though he is fine at doing it, it just really is a buzz-kill for him. I want him to be excited about these classes and not dread them (after all, it IS his summer vacation). Can anyone can suggest a Straighterline course with very few to no essays? He is finishing up Developmental Writing, and it's not bad- there are only a handful. Any other suggestions?
cookderosa Wrote:I'm picking one or two Straighterline courses for my 16 year old to work on this summer. He hates writing essays, though he is fine at doing it, it just really is a buzz-kill for him. I want him to be excited about these classes and not dread them (after all, it IS his summer vacation). Can anyone can suggest a Straighterline course with very few to no essays? He is finishing up Developmental Writing, and it's not bad- there are only a handful. Any other suggestions?

English Comp I & II have several essays. Comp I essays are pretty easy, Comp II is more about Frankenstein than anything, including essays interpreting other peoples essays. Business Communications has 3 writing assignments (email, resume/cover letter, short report).
[SIZE="1"]Online CC: A & P I (B)- A & P II (B)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Straighterline: College Algebra - English Comp I & II - General Chem I + Lab - Macroeconomics -Business Communcations - Business Stats - Medical Terminology - Biology[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]CLEP: Intro Psych 55 - A/I Literature 57 - Intro to Sociology 51 - Human G & D 50 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]DSST: Intro to Computing 423 -- HTYH 443 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]ECE: Microbiology (3) B[/SIZE]

Penn Foster: Info Lit

Completed Excelsior Associate in Science-Nursing July 30, 2012.

Goal: BSN From Somewhere
Does it have to have anything to do with English? Otherwise, Accounting II doesn't have any writing. It's just reading and taking quizzes and exams. I don't know if the new course Managerial Accounting has any writing, but you could check out the specifics here. > Online Managerial Accounting StraighterLine.
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
I love that each of you are sharing about your classes. I don't care about the subject- except for math, he uses ALEKS for that right now. So, literally, any course would work. I'm just curious about the essay requirement.

PS I've looked at a few courses but the assignments were not in the tabs, which is why I'm asking.

Keep em coming!

EDIT: I just found the syllabus pdfs for each course! Off to search right now.
I'll answer my own question.

The syllabus for each course is in the specific course description. It's a PDF at the bottom. Within the syllabus is the exact listing of assignments/assessments that make up the grade.

The courses that require writing are:

Developmental Writing
English Comp 1
English Comp 2
Business communications
A&P 1 with Lab
A&P 2 with Lab
Bio with Lab
Chem with Lab
Looks like you've already answered your question, but in addition to Accounting I and II, the Macro class I took was all multiple-choice test. Yikes.. 19 tests. If he's ever considering Macro, I would try to CLEP out of it first. I guess the good thing about 19 tests is that if you bomb one of them, it doesn't kill your grade, but :eek: 19 tests is a LOT
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
When I took business communication through Straighterline, my grade consisted of a bunch of multiple choice tests, a resume/cover letter assignment, a routine inquiry assignment, and a short report. The short report is the only lengthy "essaylike" assignment that your son will probably have to contend with. In addition, my experience was they they were rather lenient with their grading of these written assignments.
• Master of Science in Nursing - Eastern New Mexico University (in progress)
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Western Governors University (3/2015)
• Associate of Science in Nursing - Platt College (3/2010)
• Diploma of Vocational Nursing - Casa Loma College (10/2005)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Professional licensure: LPN/LVN (1/2006); RN (5/2010)
• 16 brick & mortar credits from Oxnard College (2000 to 2001)
• 38 brick & mortar credits from Tarrant County College (2006 to 2008)
How about one of the new courses - Intro to Psych or Medical Terminology?
[SIZE="1"]Online CC: A & P I (B)- A & P II (B)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Straighterline: College Algebra - English Comp I & II - General Chem I + Lab - Macroeconomics -Business Communcations - Business Stats - Medical Terminology - Biology[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]CLEP: Intro Psych 55 - A/I Literature 57 - Intro to Sociology 51 - Human G & D 50 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]DSST: Intro to Computing 423 -- HTYH 443 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]ECE: Microbiology (3) B[/SIZE]

Penn Foster: Info Lit

Completed Excelsior Associate in Science-Nursing July 30, 2012.

Goal: BSN From Somewhere
kester22 Wrote:How about one of the new courses - Intro to Psych or Medical Terminology?
I'm enrolled in the medical terminology course and I find it easy so far, but keep in mind that I have several years of healthcare experience as an RN and LPN/LVN. I took my first exam for that course yesterday and scored a 97 percent with minimal studying. Basically, I read the Blackboard presentations. The textbook that I ordered for this course has not arrived yet.
• Master of Science in Nursing - Eastern New Mexico University (in progress)
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Western Governors University (3/2015)
• Associate of Science in Nursing - Platt College (3/2010)
• Diploma of Vocational Nursing - Casa Loma College (10/2005)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Professional licensure: LPN/LVN (1/2006); RN (5/2010)
• 16 brick & mortar credits from Oxnard College (2000 to 2001)
• 38 brick & mortar credits from Tarrant County College (2006 to 2008)
I'm a bit confused about something- is the Straighterline Managerial Accounting course equivalent to an elementary course or is it equivalent to a 300 level Cost Accounting course? There are already two Straighterline elementary accounting courses, one apparently for financial accounting and the other for managerial accounting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI?? Vle045 26 1,333 08-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,544 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 507 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 997 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 898 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 932 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,735 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 3,494 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 921 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,262 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77