Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline material format (click counts)
I am thinking about taking a number of SL courses in preparation to start the teacher college at WGU.

I tried a couple of the 'free trial' courses, and they all came up with a separate window that required ridiculous amounts of clicking. One of the first topics had 79 pages. Some pages contained only a couple of sentences before requiring a click to get to the next page, and a wait while the next page loaded. This seems like an incredibly inefficient way to view the course material. Are they all like this? Or do they offer a PDF or something that has all the material on one page?

My plan would be to copy and paste all the material into another document so that finding answers (with a CTRL F) for quizzes would be easier. Would this be necessary, or would it be faster to just click back through all the many pages to find answers I don't know right off?

Would love suggestions on how to make this process easier.
(09-04-2017, 02:57 PM)clep4gainut Wrote: I am thinking about taking a number of SL courses in preparation to start the teacher college at WGU.

I tried a couple of the 'free trial' courses, and they all came up with a separate window that required ridiculous amounts of clicking. One of the first topics had 79 pages. Some pages contained only a couple of sentences before requiring a click to get to the next page, and a wait while the next page loaded. This seems like an incredibly inefficient way to view the course material. Are they all like this? Or do they offer a PDF or something that has all the material on one page?

My plan would be to copy and paste all the material into another document so that finding answers (with a CTRL F) for quizzes would be easier. Would this be necessary, or would it be faster to just click back through all the many pages to find answers I don't know right off?

Would love suggestions on how to make this process easier.

It sounds like you're talking about the slide show presentations? There is also audio in those . I don't think there is a transcript option, but if there is, be sure you get both - the audio and slides are not the same.

EDIT: one more thing, I certainly don't know about all the classes, but in the ones my sons have done, the overwhelming majority of quiz content was from the book - which is an ebook, so you can find info easily. I won't tell you to skip the lectures.....but.......that's really your call.
Yes, I'm referring to the slideshows. Goodness, I didn't even realize they had separate audio content. There's a CC option for it, and it is able to be copied and pasted. I guess I will just have to gauge it class-by-class. Thank you for letting me know the quizzes are based off the ebook. I wasn't really sure where to focus my attention.
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep4gainut's post:
  • cookderosa
The SL courses I'm taking all include ebooks from vitalsource. Clicking the ebook link in the first lesson loads and opens the entire book on the vitalsource site. From there you can download the Vitalsource Bookshelf app (Windows, Mac, iOS or Android). There is a device limit, I have mine on 3 devices.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lismith's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 15 10,783 09-16-2024, 12:24 AM
Last Post: VanillaBean
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,733 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Coopersmith Exam format? wow 4 287 08-30-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: wow
  Question re: Straighterline ACC150 ExcellentPhoto 3 318 08-16-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  StraighterLine Spam Emails... bjcheung77 2 281 07-16-2024, 09:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Straighterline TESU Pre Health Classes Melispheric 5 493 06-21-2024, 10:35 AM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 11 3,323 05-28-2024, 10:44 PM
  Straighterline Spanish 1 yc1981 4 506 04-26-2024, 03:11 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 852 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 467 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM