Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Psychology
I would like some information from anyone that has taken Straighterline Psychology course. How is it set up? Is it like Macro? Meaning 20 quizzes. How long did it take you to complete the course? I am helping a person who is working toward their degree and is alittle test shy at the moment. So instead of wasting time I thought they could possibly enroll in the course and get atleast 3 much needed SS credits done. Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Four exams with fifty questions each and a final. I am not sure how many questions are on the final. I started the class but found out that I did not need it and stopped.
Actual course is 4 exams (50q each/time 75 min) and a final (80q/time 2 hrs).

My view may be skewed because I was one of the student volunteers. I completed the initial version while working on other projects in about 10-14 days (it was a much shorter course the first time--25q @ exam and 80q final) scored 91%. The new updated second version of the course was extremely long but I completed it in one day scored 79%. Granted I already have a decent psychology background after taking a few courses/dsst exams and I knew I only needed 70% so didn't really read through the material again, just took the exams to be done with it.

If I had known the actual course would be so long I would have just taken the CLEP (even if I had to pay for it again). Intro to psychology was my second clep exam and I failed it because I did not properly prepare. I no longer needed it (credit replaced by another test) but wanted it on the transcript just the same and thought straighterline would be an easy outlet, NOT. Straighterline is cheap and open book but is very time consuming.
Bottom line is it depends on your learning style. Some people really like SL; although I've taken quite a few of their offerings (because they are so darn cheap and you can work them around other coursework), I don't like the set up. In my opinion the courses are overkill. Just being honest.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Thanks Bric. I will pass the information on. Why does Straighterline have to do over kill all of the time? Look at Macro and Micro. Its nuts!

Thanks Aj?
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
alleycat Wrote:Why does Straighterline have to do over kill all of the time? Look at Macro and Micro. Its nuts!

Hi Alley,
My point exactly, macro and micro took me 3 months and four monthly pymts to wade through all of it. (Maybe that's the reason for the madnessWink.) It put a whole new spin on getting in the weeds. The problem with being that granular, you certainly get the concepts down but they then get lost in the whitewash of extra nonsense that you really don't need. Did we really need to know all the minute details of the charts or the infamous "last word?"

When I discussed it with my girlfriend who took it in college she said "OMG, I would have never passed those courses." Her professor before each test would go over all the questions and write the answers on the board for the students to take notes. He would then hand out the exams which were, wait for it, open notes! All the students got an A in his class and immediately signed up to take him for Micro. She graduated from a reputable 4yr school **IT with a business degree in infosys. And we wonder how students can party all night and still pass a course. Gotta love those classroom lectures!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
The over kill of Straighterline might end up being their undoing. Honestly the payment plan is wonderful, the concept is great but I think Straighterline is trying to prove we a full classes! Full of alot of stuff you really do not need. I have found with online learning that many time there is just so much stuff you have to do that you would never do inseat. They feel they must have minute for minute exchange of time. So you end up with this overload of stuff that doesn't really matter. It is painful Sad

Thank you once again for you imput. You are just so on the money it is scary Bric!!!!!!

BA Humanities - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning way ahead and stuck on psychology licensure kmao2004 4 452 06-16-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 3,272 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 1,023 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 959 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,339 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  Psychology Careers - 9 Options bjcheung77 1 721 04-15-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  RA psychology degree help amomwholearns 4 1,035 03-20-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 1,038 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 4,133 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Planning to join in psychology field haohalberd 2 1,973 02-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Last Post: StoicJ