Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Intro to Psychology or Biology??
I am contemplating whether to take Bio or Psych..I am already enrolled for the month Sad just need to decide which course asap....

I was planning on buying the textbook for Psych but was contemplating buying the 9th edition rather than the 10th edition ( due to the cost)..do you think there is much difference?:confused:
I know for Bio. there is a free online textbook.

I haven't done biology or psych in 4 years..but i do still have to take 6 social science courses to graduate.

Has anyone taken intro to psych?

Which course would you recommend??
I haven't used Straighterline, but my first CLEP was Intro to Psychology and the CLEP is very passable. I took it before I was an IC member, so I didn't have the flashcards and just studied from a textbook. So I would use Straighterline for Biology & try to CLEP Psychology.
Testing CreditsALEKS- Beginning Algebra, CLEP Intro Psychology, CLEP Principles of Management, CLEP Principles of Marketing, CLEP Info Systems & Computer App, CLEP Intro Sociology, CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, DSST Environment & Humanity, DSST Here's to Your Health, DSST Organizational Behavior, DSST Personal Finance, DSST Substance Abuse, DSST Supervision
Class Credits
English Composition 1, English Composition 2, Nutrition, Intercultural Communications, Introduction to Business, US History 2, College Algebra, HR Management, Professional Selling, Consumer Behavior, Managing Organizational Change, Art Appreciation, Music Appreciation, Statistics
vsantos316 Wrote:Has anyone taken intro to psych?

Which course would you recommend??

Can't help with bio but I took SL intro to psych (unfortunaly it was one of my first cleps and I did not take it seriously enough and failed). I decided to study sociology instead because I had no formal or informal background on the subject. I passed it and was hooked! Anyway, I no longer needed the intro to psy credit for my degree but wanted it on my transcript. You will definitely need the book, as with other SL courses questions are taken word for word from the book. Because of this I ordered the ISE version of the required edition on ebay. This was my first time using an international version and it worked out great!

I completed it in one day but I've taken a lot of psy classes for my social science degree. If you like psy you can knock it out quickly too. Just be ready with the book, unfortunately they didn't give as much time on the quizzes and exams as they do in other courses. I enjoyed it but I really like the subject.

Good luck in whatever course and method you choose!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
vsantos316 Wrote:I know for Bio. there is a free online textbook.

What is the website or where can i find this information about the free bio book for SL courses? I am currently enrolled in SL Bio so I am very interested.
yeah its free, its the mc graw's website.
go here, ARIS: ARIS:, once your there click on resources, dont log in.
bricabrac Wrote:Can't help with bio but I took SL intro to psych (unfortunaly it was one of my first cleps and I did not take it seriously enough and failed). I decided to study sociology instead because I had no formal or informal background on the subject. I passed it and was hooked! Anyway, I no longer needed the intro to psy credit for my degree but wanted it on my transcript. You will definitely need the book, as with other SL courses questions are taken word for word from the book. Because of this I ordered the ISE version of the required edition on ebay. This was my first time using an international version and it worked out great!

I completed it in one day but I've taken a lot of psy classes for my social science degree. If you like psy you can knock it out quickly too. Just be ready with the book, unfortunately they didn't give as much time on the quizzes and exams as they do in other courses. I enjoyed it but I really like the subject.

Good luck in whatever course and method you choose!

thanks!!

I'm planning on taking astronomy instead of biology (from what i heard much easier)

I only have 16 DAYS to complete it ( cause i subscribed a couple weeks ago).
I haven't taken psch in 4 years, should i even give it a try??!:leaving:
vsantos316 Wrote:I only have 16 DAYS to complete it ( cause i subscribed a couple weeks ago).
I haven't taken psch in 4 years, should i even give it a try??!:leaving:

Yes, IMO you could easily do the PSY101 course in 16 days. You still need time to get the book unless you have a intro to psy book laying around even though its going to be different then what's required for the course.

Also, quick FYI, SL bills on 28 day cycle.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Just finished Bio with no lab component. Ordered a book from a reseller on Amazon and get it with one day shipping for like 11.99. There are like 14 tests with 25 questions. The midterm is 50 questions and the final is 50 questions. I finished the class over the weekend by spending all day taking tests till I was done. Each test took about an hour each because I looked the answers up in the book for most of them. Very doable only if you have the book in hand. Most of the questions are word for word yanked from the text, with the online version its going to be harder to locate the answers. You will need to utilize the glossary and the appendix. I suggest spending a few bucks on the book from Amazon and then taking it.
[SIZE="1"]Online CC: A & P I (B)- A & P II (B)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Straighterline: College Algebra - English Comp I & II - General Chem I + Lab - Macroeconomics -Business Communcations - Business Stats - Medical Terminology - Biology[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]CLEP: Intro Psych 55 - A/I Literature 57 - Intro to Sociology 51 - Human G & D 50 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]DSST: Intro to Computing 423 -- HTYH 443 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]ECE: Microbiology (3) B[/SIZE]

Penn Foster: Info Lit

Completed Excelsior Associate in Science-Nursing July 30, 2012.

Goal: BSN From Somewhere
kester22 Wrote:Just finished Bio with no lab component. Ordered a book from a reseller on Amazon and get it with one day shipping for like 11.99. There are like 14 tests with 25 questions. The midterm is 50 questions and the final is 50 questions. I finished the class over the weekend by spending all day taking tests till I was done. Each test took about an hour each because I looked the answers up in the book for most of them. Very doable only if you have the book in hand. Most of the questions are word for word yanked from the text, with the online version its going to be harder to locate the answers. You will need to utilize the glossary and the appendix. I suggest spending a few bucks on the book from Amazon and then taking it.

wow you make it sound so easy!! Do you have a background in biology?Wink

FYI for those that might be enrolling in a SL program, you can get a $15 discount with this code. It just worked for me like 5 minutes ago.

Promo Code: LS15SP
There is also a code for "buy one get one free" if you are taking more than one course. Google to find the most current one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning way ahead and stuck on psychology licensure kmao2004 4 416 06-16-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 3,144 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 988 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 891 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 1,228 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,260 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  Intro to Sociology Jennr2z 8 1,328 05-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  Psychology Careers - 9 Options bjcheung77 1 704 04-15-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  RA psychology degree help amomwholearns 4 988 03-20-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 1,001 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM