Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Calculus II currently unavailable
I spoke to a representative at Straighterline today and found out that Calculus II is currently unavailable because the provided pulled the course. I assume he was speaking of NROC as they still have Thinkwell listed. Hopefully they have the new course up and running soon. It makes sense to have Calc II provided by the same source as Calc I. I have an alert set up to inform me when the new course is operational and will update the board.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
ALSO Physics II, I just completed Physics !. They told me it'll be back online June 1st. I guess all NROC courses are down.

NROC Library Updates
CONTENT EXPIRING JUNE 24, 2014

As members were alerted last year, NROC’s content distribution agreement with the University of California (UC) will expire on June 24, 2014. We have made every effort to renew this agreement but the University of California has decided to distribute the content exclusively through their UC Scout initiative. All UC-copyrighted content will be removed from our servers on 6/24/2014 and NROC members are required to discontinue use of the UC content at that time. For ongoing access to these resources, please contact UC directly at (408) 450-4962, email info@ucscout.org, or visit Scout - University of California.

NROC remains committed to providing the highest-quality digital media to support instruction. We continue to build new content to add to the NROC Permanent Collection and to grow the HippoCampus library with rich, curated resources contributed by other providers. This process allows us to refresh content offerings across disciplines, while providing a permanent collection in Math and English which members can rely on. You may download an overview of the full library here. If you would like to recommend course materials to be added to the library, please contact memberservices@thenrocproject.org.

Affected course content is as follows:

Social Sciences
US History I & II
AP US History I & II
American Government
AP US Government & Politics
Psychology

Physics
College Prep Physics I & II
Introductory Physics I & II
General Physics I & II
AP Physics B I & II
AP Physics C I & II

Mathematics
Elementary Algebra
Algebra 1A & 1B (2004 version)
Curso de Algebra 1A & 1B (Spanish)
Introductory Calculus I & II
General Calculus I & II
Calculo General I & II (Spanish)
AP Calculus AB I & II
AP Calculus BC I & II

Biological and Earth Sciences
Environmental Science
AP Environmental Science
AP Biology I & II

Link:
NROC Collections - Updated January 2014 | NROC Network

Posted: 4/8/2014
The "Course Details" for Calculus II still has the information pertinent to the NROC course, but the course syllabus was updated for ThinkWell. Right off the bat I can see that the ThinkWell course covers hyperbolic functions and Geometry of R² and R³ (previous course didn't go as in-depth with vectors, I believe.) These topics were not covered in the NROC course. There are now 6 exams instead of 5 (4 regular exams, 1 midterm, 1 final). For "course text", it says "This course does not require a text" which presumably also means that the exam will NOT be open-book. I spent a few months prepping for the previous course so I am NOT HAPPY with these changes, but what alternative do we have? All other online options for Calculus II I've seen are around $1000 for 4 credits.
Okay, that was relatively fast. The Calc II course seems to be back up now. The "Topics", "Course Text", and "Grading Criteria" do not seem to have been updated yet, but I can now add it to my cart...
If the pattern follows Thinkwell's Calc I, most of the instruction will be videos by Edward Burger. I loved what he did in Calc I even though I didn't finish the course because I took it at Excelsior. It is tempting to try and get through Calc II now that it is provided by Thinkwell.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calculus 3 - Need A Source dharmastudios 27 5,066 07-21-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 987 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 888 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,255 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 998 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 4,040 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,423 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  Calculus I/II - Advice? xicovu 15 3,607 03-18-2020, 02:42 PM
Last Post: xicovu
Exclamation BS/BA Degree plan using ACE/Straighterline Credits breezy55 1 1,565 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Calculus as a Prereq Giantzebra 5 1,482 09-19-2019, 02:02 AM
Last Post: dfrecore