Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting ALEKS, have a few questions
So now I'm ready to forge ahead on my math requirements. I need Precal for a TESC BSBA. I know ALEKS trig will qualify, and I intend to stop there officially, though I may proceed through precal on my own anyway.

I just signed up for the 3 hour free trial and I'm going to check it out. But I have a few questions before I pay and sign up for a course.

1. If I pay $20 a month and sign up for a course, can I change my mind and switch to another course without completing the first one?

2. I ask #1 because I want to thoroughly ground myself in the fundamentals. I just did the College Math CLEP and had to teach myself some of the stuff that I learned 20+ years ago and forgot. Unfortunately, I don't feel entirely comfortable with my level of knowledge. My instinct is to start with Beginning Algebra and fly through it as quick as I can (I know it isn't creditable at TESC) to make sure I have the fundamentals really down and then proceed. But if it is too easy, I don't want to waste time and would rather switch to another course than continue something that isn't going to give me any credit.

3. Given #2, which is better: taking a full course like Beginning (or Intermediate) Algebra, or taking the "Prep" courses which are shorter? Anyone have experience with the "prep" courses vs the full courses? (I know the answer here is probably "it depends on your abilities" but I'm curious if anyone has tried/compared the two)

4. Geometry. I figure I should make sure and do this one, even for no credit, given it is often a basis for higher math. Sound right? (I remember all the logic and proofs from HS, that's what I'm getting at)

5. Given all the above, it looks like my progression would be this:
  • Beginning Algebra
  • Geometry
  • Intermediate Algebra
  • College Algebra
  • Trig

I think that does it for now. Any and all help/advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
What you said is more or less spot on. Just remember that once you get over 70 on the assessment you gotta submit it and WAIT for ace to review it, if you change courses it'll delete all progress. But the program is unlimited, in that you can switch as many times as you'd like. Also, I'm quite sure you can't get credit for the trial version, you should upgrade first, and progress might be lost when you do that. I think your progression is good. Just remember the assessments have some TOUGH questions, the college math Clep is a joke by comparison. So, the courses will take a good chunk of your time. I think it's totally worth it, you're getting credit and TRULY learning math, not just remembering stuff to do an exam.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Also, with any course, you do the assessment first. After you finish, log into your master account to check your score...if you already have a 70 not much point in going on in my opinion. So you can do the assessments with those prep classes if you like
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Thanks for the feedback. Using the free demo I picked Geometry and got 64/211 on the pie from the assessment. 30%, not bad, and it looks pretty elementary, much less hairy than I remembered from way back. I spent all my time reading Wikipedia higher math and lost sight of "elementary" geometry... Smile

Yes, I'll lose the progress, I'm buying tomorrow, just trying out the system. It's kind of neat, actually, and yeah I'm actually already learning things.

Thanks!
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI?? Vle045 26 1,195 08-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 11 3,770 05-12-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,412 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 485 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Netflix is Hiring an AI-Focused Role—and the Starting Salary is up to $900,000 LevelUP 1 471 07-31-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  College grads overestimating starting salaries... bjcheung77 7 771 05-10-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 925 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,662 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 3,368 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 910 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer