Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Start UIUC iMSM in January or defer?
Long story short...

I was accepted for University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign master's program. I have the option to start in January, March, or defer for an entire year if I want to. Would it be stupid to defer for an entire year and go earn another MS degree from say WGU or somewhere else? Or should I just start the iMSM and earn that one first?
Current
University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (Gies School of Business) - MS Management

Completed
2023 UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Summa Cum Laude, Minors: Management & Political Science
2022 Pierpont BOG AAS, Area of Emphasis: Graphic Design
Udacity Nanodegree - Digital Marketing
Google Career Certification - Digital Marketing & E-Commerce, UX Design
What degree would you earn from WGU?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-20-2023, 03:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote: What degree would you earn from WGU?

MS Digital Marketing or MS Marketing Analytics. Although I have worked in Marketing for many years, so a MS in Marketing may not be all that worthwhile. Open to opinions. Was just thinking about knocking out a faster degree and then doing the other, but that may be pointless.
Current
University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (Gies School of Business) - MS Management

Completed
2023 UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Summa Cum Laude, Minors: Management & Political Science
If it was me, I would start this right away and get it done first before working on anything else... WGU and anything they offer can be completed after this degree is in the bag... The WGU degree really isn't necessary either, you can always supplement your IMSM with certs/experience as you've already got a Associates/Bachelors that have classes in Marketing or similar subject matter. Flip a coin, see what you want and how you want to plan your educational route...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-20-2023, 04:07 PM)MichaelDoesMarketing Wrote:

MS Digital Marketing or MS Marketing Analytics. Although I have worked in Marketing for many years, so a MS in Marketing may not be all that worthwhile. Open to opinions. Was just thinking about knocking out a faster degree and then doing the other, but that may be pointless.

I considered the possibility of pursuing the MS Digital Marketing program at WGU as well. However, it appears that since the curriculum relies heavily on Google and HubSpot certs, one can acquire that knowledge independently through certs outside of WGU.

I prefer the iMSM or iMBA route over the idea of getting both the WGU and UIUC masters. Therefore, I would choose one program over the other.

Finding a marketing program that stays current with the latest business tactics can be challenging. It's a fascinating career that, unfortunately, isn't discussed enough on this forum.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-20-2023, 05:43 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 04:07 PM)MichaelDoesMarketing Wrote:

I considered the possibility of pursuing the MS Digital Marketing program at WGU as well. However, it appears that since the curriculum relies heavily on Google and HubSpot certs, one can acquire that knowledge independently through certs outside of WGU.

I prefer the iMSM or iMBA route over the idea of getting both the WGU and UIUC masters. Therefore, I would choose one program over the other.

Finding a marketing program that stays current with the latest business tactics can be challenging. It's a fascinating career that, unfortunately, isn't discussed enough on this forum.

I agree with that. One of the deterrents of the WGU degree was that I already have the Google certs and Hubspots certs that you'd earn along the way. It would sort of be a wash in that aspect. It's honestly hard for any marketing programs to keep up with how fast marketing evolves.
Current

Completed
Personally, I would only put UIUC on hold if you have an urgent need for a master’s degree and can’t wait to finish UIUC.

Not for nothing, I have read on various other forums that the WGU marketing degrees are not as easy to accelerate as the MBA or MSML.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(11-21-2023, 10:55 AM)freeloader Wrote: Personally, I would only put UIUC on hold if you have an urgent need for a master’s degree and can’t wait to finish UIUC.

Not for nothing, I have read on various other forums that the WGU marketing degrees are not as easy to accelerate as the MBA or MSML.
Noted. I don't have an urgent need for a master's degree, so I'll prob just start with UIUC.
Current

Completed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UIUC (Illinois) iMBA - is there a gotcha? Kjnova 36 3,232 08-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  CEE Admission at UIUC RED_Monster_2555 7 769 03-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 1,170 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coursera + University of Illinois = IMSM - MS in Management bjcheung77 12 6,625 12-26-2021, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Noah_miller
  Walden Tempo Learning - June 7, 2021 Start - MBA FREE Term bjcheung77 17 3,255 07-15-2021, 10:09 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Masters Degree Where to start? sbgs53 3 1,750 01-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Well, it's official "official". I start my WGU MSCSIA in December ChilliDawg 3 1,227 11-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Walden U - MHA - Start date 12/3 Accountability and Experience GoodYellowDogs 21 4,362 06-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Last Post: SuZQ2
  any grad school programs I can start before BA is conferred? CM1999 15 4,619 01-13-2018, 04:43 PM
Last Post: CM1999
  Start over with WGU MSN or transfer credits to a non-RA MSN? dmjacobsen 13 3,258 08-19-2015, 08:48 PM
Last Post: dmjacobsen