Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I CLEP or STRAIGHTERLINE Macroeconomics and Micro? And What to study??
What are the advantages/disadvantages to CLEP or Straighterline??

And what books/resources do I need to order....or use?

Thanks so much! I am so ready to start studying!
I haven't used straiterline, (because of my internet connection) so I can't give you a comparison. I clepped Macro and Micro. I primarily used the two textbooks on clep's recommended resource list written by Mankiw. Before getting books by Mankiw I had gotten other recommended books but I had a difficult time understanding them for some reason. If you study for both cleps using Mankiw's books there is overlap for about the first 9 chapters or so which cover basics (saves study time).
My scores (with some prior knowledge of the basics):
Macro 68
Micro 72
I was also contemplating SL vs CLEP too since I am having trouble remembering: if this happens in the ecomomy than this will happen to the GDP, and based on the feedback most of the test is on the AD/AS curve.
I purchased the SL course and test books for both, they are difficult to understand and there are maybe 20 chapter tests for each subject.
So, I am back to studying for the CLEPs. I found the best study resources so far to be AC DC economics you tube videos, the AP CLiff notes book Economics Micro & Macro, I also have the REA book but it didn't push me over the edge, I am currently reading Ecomomics for Dummies and the Idiots guide to Economics...
I have grown accustom to studying one week and testing for a CLEP or DSST, the SL courses are soooooooooo long.... so now I'm only using them as a backup if I fail the CLEPs.
Goal: 0-120 credits in less than 1 year.....began July 2012
Credits to date: 121
Bachelor of Science - Business
ECE

Human Growth & Development :: 54, Psychology :: 66, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit :: 50
Sociology :: 58, Biology :: 64, Principles of Mgmt :: 60, Principles of Marketing :: 65
Intro to Business Law :: 61, Macro 49::, Micro 55
Principles of Supervision: 422, Personal Finance: 455, Intro to Business:: 439, World Religion:: 464,
Here's to your Health:: 449, Substance Abuse:: 446, Intro to Computers:: 454, Technical Writing:: 59,
Mgmt Info Systems:: 454, Intro to Law Enforcement:: 60, Criminal Justice:: 443
Business Ethics and Society:: 422, Fundamentals of Counseling:: 60, Environment & Humanity:: 64
Anthropology:: 55, Astronomy:: 53,
SL: Algebra, Eng I & II, Acct I, Acct II, Stats
ECE: Labor Relations:: A, HR Mgmt:: B, Org Behavior:: B, Capstone 495BUS:: A
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt:: B, Employee Benefits:: B
TESC: TECEP Ops Mgmt
Info Lit.
My experience with SL has been good, so far. Advantages for me: I don't have to leave the house to take an exam; speed of the course is dependent on how fast I can read the text and absorb the info, 3 weeks my first course, 1 week the second. I'm on Macro now, will take me about two weeks. The current courses use older textbooks which can be found on Amazon for under $5 delivered. You can take a long time to watch the videos and do the exercises, if you need them, but they are not required, and tutoring is available if you need it. I learned better just reading and running through a few review exercises, then taking an exam. I also purchased my SL courses before the required proctoring and price increase, so that's another reason I started with that.
Clep and dsst testing sites are about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away from me, so SL and Aleks for math is a good starting place for me. It's been a long time since I've taken any college classes, and this is helping me develop study skills and confidence in my testing ability, and I know I'll be able to Clep the rest later.
You can try an SL course for free, but it's not for credit. There is a two for one offer though, which saves $49. The website and format are changing 12/1, just something to be aware of.
Where do you suggest to buy the Mankiw Books for Macro and Micro? Half.com and amazon were both over 100.00.....Is that what you paid? And which edition would you recommend? Thanks in Advance
SL Macro and Micro classes have like 20 tests each...I would CLEP
CLEP
Always consider CLEP first because the credit is more highly valued than ACE credit. If you have trouble passing the CLEP then head over to straighterline. Or use SL if the same course is not offered as CLEP or DSST. I did the CLEP macro and micro and used the REA books. They are great.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Ryoder....thanks for the advice of going with Clep due to credit issues! Can someone tell me what REA books are and where do I get them??
Go to your favorite online book store and type in "REA CLEP microeconomics" etc.
Also go to your local book store or library and you will find some. Check the library first. You will be surprised at what you find. AP and CLEP guides can help you practice but the REA books are top notch. I consider them the CLEP college textbook.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I get my textbooks through inter-library loan, so I don't know how much they cost. I've heard good things about the rea books, but I haven't used them yet. I will mention that I'm considering getting the Mankiw books for my personal library someday. If you decide to get the Mankiw books which edition you get is not a big issue. Sometime next week I'll dig through my library receipts and find which edition I used. I know they were several editions behind the current one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 13,898 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,596 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,053 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU 2nd Area of Study mysonx3 20 4,710 08-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,980 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Western Civilization I & II CLEP Banker214 4 1,747 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  TESU Study.com partnership only eligible for 21 years of age+ Murdockb 6 2,429 07-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Murdockb
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,816 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  What will fit: TESU BALS - Study.com Gen Ed (Down to the wire!) Cheeseburrito 3 1,742 06-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Statistics credit transfer from study.com waterpaper 2 1,745 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jsh1138