Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senior Citizens Can Go to College for Free or Cheap in All 50 States
https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/life/col...-citizens/

Senior Citizens Can Go to College for Free or Cheap in All 50 States
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

This is a great find and thanks for posting it.

Now for the Texas reality check. This is like the free tuition for firefighters and police officers - it's up to the school to decide to give it. The specific Texas law also states the free tuition is subject to space availability. Sure, I'll try for it some day, probably wasting my time like I did on the firefighter tuition attempt.

I think it's more like this: Texas law says, hey, taxpayer funded school, you have to collect tuition. Then a new law comes along and says, hey, taxpayer funded school, we'll allow you to not collect tuition from certain people if you choose. If you choose not to collect tuition, you're going to eat it because we're not funding this. Schools aren't motivated to do this.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I do think some States are real like Maine and most are not. Most do not led to a college degree. On a different forum, a senior citizen from Tenn is enrolled and working towards a BS for free.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(11-05-2017, 11:13 PM)clep3705 Wrote: This is a great find and thanks for posting it.

Now for the Texas reality check. This is like the free tuition for firefighters and police officers - it's up to the school to decide to give it. The specific Texas law also states the free tuition is subject to space availability. Sure, I'll try for it some day, probably wasting my time like I did on the firefighter tuition attempt.

I think it's more like this: Texas law says, hey, taxpayer funded school, you have to collect tuition. Then a new law comes along and says, hey, taxpayer funded school, we'll allow you to not collect tuition from certain people if you choose. If you choose not to collect tuition, you're going to eat it because we're not funding this. Schools aren't motivated to do this.

In Texas, schools decide which programs qualify, not whether or not to give the exemption. For police officers, the programs that qualify are easy to identify. A public school can't charge a peace officer tuition to take undergraduate, criminal justice courses. There is also a case where a firefighter successfully argued to complete an MPA tuition-free after the school initially said that the program wasn't related to his career. If you're not one for arguing your case, then you can always select one of the programs that are already on the list.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I'm happy for the Texas public safety workers who are getting free tuition for certain specific programs. I'm also appreciative of your original helpful post. I think people need to know it's not necessarily easy or common - a student shouldn't expect to be able to force a school to provide it. I've argued the case for free EMS related tuition at two schools without success.

As far as tuition for senior citizens, a school can choose to do it or not.

"Sec. 54.365. The governing board of an institution of higher education may allow a senior citizen to enroll for credit in up to six hours of courses offered by the institution each semester or summer term without payment of tuition if space is available."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Do.../ED.54.htm
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
Clovis CC in NM charges Senior Citizens only $10/cr.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Berzerker's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I came up with $5/semester hour for tuition only, $15/semester hour when the technology and facility fee is added. See http://www.clovis.edu/payment/tuition-fall.aspx

It's not clear if the senior citizen discount applies only to New Mexico residents or it is open to everybody.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
Right, its actually $15/cr once you add the $10/cr tech fee. I was using that CC math I learned Smile Y'know 15+5=10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 211 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Quick, Cheap, Easy Academic Certificate kevinmane 10 3,066 09-08-2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 793 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 1,940 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  any Cert-free schools? pluggingalong 2 281 08-24-2024, 09:44 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 216 38,117 08-04-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,279 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 598 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 412 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 727 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher