Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Degree: My Patten University Experience
Background:
As some of you already know, after completing a BSBA General Management degree at TESC (now TESU), I went ahead and applied to Patten University’s BA in Management –Leadership. Before Patten, I also completed and earned a BRS from NationsUniversity. Also, I had earlier applied to Eastern New Mexico University’s MBA program where I completed two classes in one term before deciding to hold off of the MBA and address the issue of my undergraduate GPA.

Utility of my TESU degree:
My decision to earn another RA degree was not because I wasn’t satisfied with my TESU credentials, but that I needed a GPA on a transcript so the government of the country I reside can have my degree recognized for further studies here. They found it difficult recognizing my degree on the ground that, though it is from an accredited US university and has been apostilled as required, its lack of a CPGA made it difficult for them to classify and offer me a full recognition. Other than the issue with getting the degree classified and recognized, my TESU diploma landed me my first interview and job at IBM International Service Center where I still work. So for me, my online GPA-less education got me in for interview and landed me a job! I am satisfied with my TESU experience and I am really proud of being a TESU Alumni!

Patten Experience: Credit Transfer
I started at Patten on June 15, 2015 and applying to Patten University was hassle-free. My enrollment advisor assisted me with the relevant information I needed. One thing I liked about Patten was that one doesn’t necessarily need to have official transcripts mailed in to know what courses will transfer.
With my unofficial TESU, Straighterline, and ACE transcripts, I had a pretty idea what transferred and what didn’t. Without wasting time, I was gotten straight to my classes after signing the Enrollment Agreement. And, unlike what I have read on this forum a few times, Patten does accept ACE credits. Relevant courses from Straighterline, TEEX, Sophia, and of course TECEPs (all as long as they fit into one’s degree plan) were accepted.
Of the over 120 credits I transferred to Patten, about 91 were accepted to create room for earning the additional 30 institutional credits.
Now this is where things got a little bit tricky - ordinarily, I should complete 10 more classes to earn the “second degree,” but I wanted to be able to have as many graded credits as possible on my transcript. After receiving my official evaluation and seeing that 91 credits transferred in, I contacted the Registrar’s Office, requesting to have only 60 of the 91 credits transferred to my evaluation. Patten was flexible, my request was honored. In the end, I was asked to indicate which class I wanted to retake. After providing my list, I had about 56 credits to complete my BA Management- Leadership degree. Below are the classes I took and the grades I got:

Credits Earned & Grades
1. PSS100 - Academic Strategies: A
2. COM146 Communication – A
3. LDR364 Organizational Behavior – A
4. ENG101A Reading and Composition – B
5. MGT303 Management Theories and Practices – B
6. ENG101B Critical Thinking, Reading & Writing – B
7. HIS227 Ancient World History – B
8. SSC304 World Religions – B
9. MGT407 Managerial Economics – B
10. MGT313 Business Law and Ethics –B
11. MGT410 Human Resource Management –B
12. LDR472 Mentoring and Team Leadership – B
13. LDR481 Principles and Practices of Leadership – B
14. PSY421 Social Psychology – B
15. PSY476 Counseling – B
16. MGT499 Capstone Integrated Management Project – C
17. ENG348 Modern American Literature – C
18. MGT301 Leadership in Organizations and Business Management – C

How the classes and exams look like:
I think most members of this forum already know how Patten works. Like WGU and other competency-based models, one takes as many classes as one is able to take in a term - one class at a time. A typical Patten undergraduate class comes with a Pre-test (which gauges your knowledge but whose grade doesn’t factor into your overall performance), 8 units lessons, unit assignments including posting short responses to unit questions and turning in about 3 to 4 papers for the total 8 units, a final project, a pre-final exam to unlock the final, and a final proctored exam. This is the normal route if you are not challenging the class. If you know the material or are not interested in doing the unit assignments, you could take the MANDATORY pre-test, go straight to the final project, take your MANDATORY pre-final exam to unlock the final and then sit the final Examity-proctored exam.
I can’t recall how many classes I challenged, but I did turn in all unit assignments in more than half of the classes. Honestly, I wasn’t in a rush to complete the program since I already had a degree and moreso, my total Patten tuition of $2,388.00 was to cover as many classes as I could take in a year.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Continued:

Cost of Degree
Talking about the tuition fees, I think Patten is a juicy deal. The original Patten University Tuition was $5,250.00 and with a Tuition Discount of $2,862.00, My Total Tuition Responsibility was $2,388.00. Dividing 2,388.00 by the 56 credits I earned, brings down each credit to less than $43 INCLUDING COST OF STUDY MATERIALS.
This is a good deal for a(n) RA accredited university- for profit or not. One thing I learned when it comes to the tuition discount is- ask for it! When I applied to Patten, the usual discount wasn’t stated on the website. But before submitting my credit card details and indeed before creating an online profile, I asked an enrollment advisor about it via the CHAT NOW button. I am not sure whether one still gets the discount AFTER creating a profile, but the enrollment advisor who chat with me said she was gonna have to help me create a profile to be able to manually apply the discount against my name. If you are applying when they do not have the discount stated on the website, I think it makes sense to chat with an enrollment advisor prior enrollment, request for the tuition discount, and have them set up your profile with the discount applied. And, with a monthly payment plan of $199 spread over the duration of my entire 4 terms, I found it convenient paying the superbly-discounted tuition of $2,388.00.

Difficulty of Classes:
Patten University classes are no easy walk, but they are doable. I learned some new things along the way and I refreshed my mind with things I knew but had forgotten.
The project work (usually between 8 and 15 pages in length) might be the most tasking part of the journey especially if one was trying to earn as many credits as possible in a term. With papers to turn in in every class, so many pages of textbooks, journals articles, videos to watch, podcasts to listen to, and other online resources to study, one may soon get burned out if one was not motivated. But the rigorous, yet doable nature of the classes are what make me value the efforts I put into the classes and the degree itself...
My usual study pattern was to do the pre-test, go straight into studying each units, taking the practice quizzes and moving on to the next unit until all assigned readings for that class has been completed. Then I take the pre-final and the final exam. When I have to turn in paper, I usually turn in the paper before the final exams so I can concentrate on studying without thinking about the paper as I studied. Turning in the paper appears to also save me time which could have been wasted waiting for all grades to turn in so the next class can be unlocked. The most difficult class for me was the capstone. I guess I was already at the point when my energy level was down and just wanted to complete the class- so this affected my retention capabilities it seemed.
I have read few people complain that the exams are not taken from the textbook or study materials. Some likened the final exams to when someone gives you fish and asks you for a cat. From my experience, this programs tests for knowledge. Most questions are drawn from the study resources including journals, videos and podcasts. Someone who concentrated on the major texts alone and skipped the videos or podcasts or didn’t care to read the website articles as well as journals may find some of the questions strange, feeling as though they were not part of the syllabus. Even when questions are not drawn from textbook, one should be able to get a 100% in the exam if one truly knows the subject. I have never been dissatisfied with the study materials or exam format and I didn’t notice strange questions. If I were to rate Patten on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being Super-satisfied, I will give the university a 9.

Degree Awarded:

As someone living outside the US, waiting for the diploma will be my nightmare. Immediately the grade for my last class posted, I submitted an application to graduate form which, unlike at the Big Three, was free. On the 24 May, 2016, I officially became a Patten University graduate with a message from the Registrar's office stating:
Quote:Congratulations again! Your degree has been awarded and your diploma will be produced at the end of this month. We expect the diploma to arrive at Patten in about 8 weeks, and then we will mail it to you. Please confirm this is the destination address

Next Plan:

As you may recall, I was enrolled at ENMU MBA program where I took 2 classes before holding off to address the GPA issue via Patten route. It appears Patten has spoiled me such that I am already beginning to shop for another competency-based masters degree where I can complete my program. I would have love to go the WGU route just for the fun of having a masters from a different school than my undergraduate, but they don't accept individuals who are residents outside certain parts of the world. According to WGU:
Quote:WGU is only accepting applications from individuals living in the U.S., Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, as well as from U.S. military personnel and their families at overseas installations. WGU Washington is also now accepting applications from Canadian residents in certain select geographic areas.Unfortunately, we have discovered that we cannot always guarantee that the educational experience for students living outside the United States will meet our high standards for quality and convenience...
This doesn't speak well of a school which claims to be "designed with students in mind—particularly, the busy, working, adult student who wants to earn a bachelor's or master's degree but for whom a traditional university education simply won't do." In an age where the internet technology and online remote proctoring services have helped made possible what once thought impossible, an online university should not hide behind the excuse of not being able to guarantee the educational experience of students living outside of the United States.

If asked whether with what I know now about Patten I will do it again, my answer is a YES!
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Award:

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

24 Credits from TECEP
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Congrats for getting that second degree! And Thank you for such an informative review on Patten.
They're one of a few schools I'm looking into for a graduate degree program as well.
But first, to finish off that elusive Bachelors for myself, and then to decide afterwards.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I got my Patten diploma in the mail today!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1822[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">456.jpg (Size: 80.46 KB / Downloads: 11)
- Akintayo

Award:

Graduate School

24 Credits from TECEP
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Congratulations!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Saharapost Wrote:Continued:

Cost of Degree
Talking about the tuition fees, I think Patten is a juicy deal. The original Patten University Tuition was $5,250.00 and with a Tuition Discount of $2,862.00, My Total Tuition Responsibility was $2,388.00. Dividing 2,388.00 by the 56 credits I earned, brings down each credit to less than $43 INCLUDING COST OF STUDY MATERIALS.
This is a good deal for a(n) RA accredited university- for profit or not. One thing I learned when it comes to the tuition discount is- ask for it! When I applied to Patten, the usual discount wasn’t stated on the website. But before submitting my credit card details and indeed before creating an online profile, I asked an enrollment advisor about it via the CHAT NOW button. I am not sure whether one still gets the discount AFTER creating a profile, but the enrollment advisor who chat with me said she was gonna have to help me create a profile to be able to manually apply the discount against my name. If you are applying when they do not have the discount stated on the website, I think it makes sense to chat with an enrollment advisor prior enrollment, request for the tuition discount, and have them set up your profile with the discount applied. And, with a monthly payment plan of $199 spread over the duration of my entire 4 terms, I found it convenient paying the superbly-discounted tuition of $2,388.00.

Difficulty of Classes:
Patten University classes are no easy walk, but they are doable. I learned some new things along the way and I refreshed my mind with things I knew but had forgotten.
The project work (usually between 8 and 15 pages in length) might be the most tasking part of the journey especially if one was trying to earn as many credits as possible in a term. With papers to turn in in every class, so many pages of textbooks, journals articles, videos to watch, podcasts to listen to, and other online resources to study, one may soon get burned out if one was not motivated. But the rigorous, yet doable nature of the classes are what make me value the efforts I put into the classes and the degree itself...
My usual study pattern was to do the pre-test, go straight into studying each units, taking the practice quizzes and moving on to the next unit until all assigned readings for that class has been completed. Then I take the pre-final and the final exam. When I have to turn in paper, I usually turn in the paper before the final exams so I can concentrate on studying without thinking about the paper as I studied. Turning in the paper appears to also save me time which could have been wasted waiting for all grades to turn in so the next class can be unlocked. The most difficult class for me was the capstone. I guess I was already at the point when my energy level was down and just wanted to complete the class- so this affected my retention capabilities it seemed.
I have read few people complain that the exams are not taken from the textbook or study materials. Some likened the final exams to when someone gives you fish and asks you for a cat. From my experience, this programs tests for knowledge. Most questions are drawn from the study resources including journals, videos and podcasts. Someone who concentrated on the major texts alone and skipped the videos or podcasts or didn’t care to read the website articles as well as journals may find some of the questions strange, feeling as though they were not part of the syllabus. Even when questions are not drawn from textbook, one should be able to get a 100% in the exam if one truly knows the subject. I have never been dissatisfied with the study materials or exam format and I didn’t notice strange questions. If I were to rate Patten on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being Super-satisfied, I will give the university a 9.

Degree Awarded:

As someone living outside the US, waiting for the diploma will be my nightmare. Immediately the grade for my last class posted, I submitted an application to graduate form which, unlike at the Big Three, was free. On the 24 May, 2016, I officially became a Patten University graduate with a message from the Registrar's office stating:

Next Plan:

As you may recall, I was enrolled at ENMU MBA program where I took 2 classes before holding off to address the GPA issue via Patten route. It appears Patten has spoiled me such that I am already beginning to shop for another competency-based masters degree where I can complete my program. I would have love to go the WGU route just for the fun of having a masters from a different school than my undergraduate, but they don't accept individuals who are residents outside certain parts of the world. According to WGU:
This doesn't speak well of a school which claims to be "designed with students in mind—particularly, the busy, working, adult student who wants to earn a bachelor's or master's degree but for whom a traditional university education simply won't do." In an age where the internet technology and online remote proctoring services have helped made possible what once thought impossible, an online university should not hide behind the excuse of not being able to guarantee the educational experience of students living outside of the United States.

If asked whether with what I know now about Patten I will do it again, my answer is a YES!

Hi,

What did your capstone course consist of? Please be specific as possible. What didn't you like about Patten University? If you've decided to attend Patten's masters program, can you please give insight as to your experience? That is, both good and bad.

Thanks!
My Capstone ( MGT499 - Capstone Integrated Management Project) consisted of 8 unit assignments, a pre-final exam, a project, and a final exam. The unit assignments are/were not mandatory, but doing them may help increase your grade. In my case, I did the project work and took the pre-final and final exams with a total score of 715 / 1000 - a C.

Unit 1 dealt with Mission, Vision, Values
Unit 2 - Environmental Analysis
Unit 3 - Competitive Advantage
Unit 4 - Customer Acquisition
Unit 5 - Management and Human Resources
Unit 6 - Financial Model and Plan
Unit 7 - Risk Management and Key Performance Indicators
Unit 8 - Putting it all Together

If you need additional information, please check the syllabus here - Capstone Integrated Management Project - MGT499 - 3 credits

I am not attending Patten for my masters, but if there's something I'd like changed about Patten, it is the "we care more about our money than you" attitude they showed after I completed the program. I had complained they didn't send me transcript (only diploma), but I was asked to pay for one which I did. Having read from this forum that it is normal and that some US schools do not offer transcript as part of the graduation package and after Patten replied and asked me to order if I needed one, I went ahead and ordered for a transcript that never arrived. I contacted Patten after one month and their response was along the line of: "Sorry it is not our fault and if you need transcript, go and pay again and select a different postal method." I think a good business would apologize for the transcript and probably offer to send me a replacement copy. With these experiences, I wouldn't allow any of my family member to go to Patten.

crazy2 Wrote:Hi,

What did your capstone course consist of? Please be specific as possible. What didn't you like about Patten University? If you've decided to attend Patten's masters program, can you please give insight as to your experience? That is, both good and bad.

Thanks!
- Akintayo

Award:

Graduate School

24 Credits from TECEP
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
I've seen people who took the patten management courses who enjoyed them, but I took psych courses with them and it was a joke. I've seen some others with similar complaints on here, but I've also seen some who liked that program too; ymmv. This is likely because their business course are more established over the years (having come over from New Charter University in the days when the company owned that school before Patten), and the pysch program is newer and still has a ton of kinks and not many students to have worked them all out. The setup and content of the courses were great, but then I'd get to the exam and it had nothing to do with the course I just took (like a business strategy question for a social psychology class). The one time I used their formal grade appeal process, it was very clear the dean did not bother reading my concerns before rejecting the appeal.

You can definitely speed through it though. Particularly if you dont care about your GPA. That said, I think I finished with a 3.5 or so GPA on the 27 cr I completed there.

Aside from that, it's still a for-profit, albeit a cheaper one. It has the baggage of a for-profit and the same business-first mentality.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Perdoceo to acquire University of St. Augustine... bjcheung77 1 202 09-17-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 58 11,596 09-16-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: wow
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,847 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  University of The Cumberlands Mrsmiracle90 3 356 09-12-2024, 08:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 405 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,469 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 346 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,712 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,644 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,188 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26