Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scholarships or Grants?
My son wants to graduate before he turns 18 next summer and is on track to have his 120 hours through CLEP and DSST by spring. I really want him to be able to do this, but I don't know where the $4000 to enroll him and take the Captsone is going to come from. I know the Lord will provide! Does anyone know if there are scholarships available to help pay for the enrollment fee and enrollment in just one class? I actually thought we had more time to come up with the money until today when I realized he has to take that 12 week capstone course. So now, if he wants to graduate in the spring, we need to enroll him in January. Surely he could qualify for something considering his accomplishment at such a young age, but I have no idea where to start. I've spent all my time this past year trying to figure out how to accomplish his degree plan. Scholarships is a whole new area and any help or references to get started would be greatly appreciated.
Have you filled out the fafsa? It's the place to start. What degree are you seeking? Go to fafsa.gov and get that done first.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
My son's degree is going to be from TESC, a BA in Social Sciences. I have not done the fafsa. I will do that! Thanks!
WOw, I just went to the FAFSA website and found out you have to apply in the summer. So it would do us no good to apply now if he wants to enroll and graduate this next spring. ;o(. Maybe we can find a scholarship available to be awarded in the winter??
All need base aid begins with fafsa....even most sxholorships will at least want to see the fafsa done....if you get any pell grant funds there are ways to work it, but he will have to take a few classes to take full advantage of it...fill it out and get back with us, we can help you make the most of it (pell).
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Note that Pell grants get kind of butchered at TESC due to the way the scheduling works. Since it is a year-round school, six credits is considered fulltime, but that means your pell grant is split into four parts instead of the normal two parts. If you only take one class you will find a very reduced pell grant might apply, but most financial aid requires more than one course to be taken to get any payment (I think loans start at 6 credits). Also note that pell grants don't cover the enrollment fee, they are based on the number of credits taken and you won't get much (if any) left over after buying books.

As for other scholarships, you kind of have to fish around for those, TESC is not a traditional school so they don't offer their own aid packages outside of pell grants and NJ grants (if you live there). Once you pay the enrollment fee the tuition is quite reasonable compared to many other schools. Basically with a textbook and enrollment you're probably going to get stuck with the full cost of $3700-$3900 (enrollment, tuition for three credits, textbooks) unless you have very little income (since they will look at parent's income on his FAFSA).

Note that TESC's academic year is July-June (meaning a pell grant for this year requires courses taken in July, October, January, and April to use all the money), in your case with only one course financial aid is going to be hard to get. Make sure if you do get a pell grant to turn in the forms to TESC financial aid very early or they won't get processed (it is separate from enrollment).
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I'm going to reframe this for you a bit.
The average cost of a college degree at a public school without dorms/books is $30,000.
At TESC, a rack rate BA degree is $40,200 Thomas Edison State College | Cost Calculator

Using ingenuity, resourcefulness, and hard work, your son's BA at TESC will be $4,147.
By my math, that's a $36,000 scholarship!

You can still see if he qualifies for a pell grant ($5600 gift) but that will have to be used by taking 6 credits per term x 4 terms. The cost to USE THAT MONEY is $8940, for a net due of $3340.... so not really a savings and you still have to raise $3340 plus books.

Better suggestion- raise the money. Sell stuff on craigslist, have your son get a job (or 3), and pay cash. $8/hour at $40/week --> $320/week means he can pay cash for this degree in 4 months! Now is prime time, and waiters can make $100 per night. It can happen!
cookderosa Wrote:I'm going to reframe this for you a bit.
The average cost of a college degree at a public school without dorms/books is $30,000.
At TESC, a rack rate BA degree is $40,200 Thomas Edison State College | Cost Calculator

I don't know why TESC's cost calculator only uses the Enrolled Options Plan. The same degree would be around $8,000 cheaper under the Comprehensive Tuition Plan. Still, like you said, the degree can be made much cheaper by exercising all of the alternative credit earning options available to TESC students.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 319 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  High school senior who went viral for 'record' $10M in scholarships picks college LevelUP 5 718 05-07-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Student accepted into 27 schools, offered millions in scholarships rachel83az 14 1,604 04-17-2022, 08:26 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  How E-sports Have Become a Pathway to College Scholarships LevelUP 1 605 04-11-2022, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Information Google announces more Coursera certs and possible scholarships MNomadic 12 2,753 10-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Arden University - Undergrad/Grad Scholarships (selective countries only) bjcheung77 0 897 08-15-2021, 07:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  $2.5 Scholarships @ UNA (University of N. AL) in computers 2021 Dorothy44 2 948 04-09-2021, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  What are recommended scholarships?? hannah-joy 3 1,155 12-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Last Post: terryd5150
Question CLEP , GPA , Scholarships 2L8 6 2,464 01-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Pell Grants Collegelady2 20 3,760 06-03-2017, 02:43 AM
Last Post: sanantone