Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about getting a Masters
Got some questions about a Masters degree.

So, I'm getting my BSBA in accounting at TESU with the clep and dssts. I'd like to know if I could get a masters with the clep and dsst at TESU? If not, then how do I go about getting one, and can you get one with clep and dsst? I'd like to join law enforcement and then go federal. So what masters degree would suit me? Does a specific masters degree matter, or is it just the fact that you have a masters get you a higher income? (for some jobs)

Thanks

-Nick
None of the CLEPs or DSSTs are worth graduate credit. In fact, very few of the alternative credit sources are available for graduate credit. There are a few threads that do show some of the cheaper grad credit sources.

In general, the big 3 are not recommended for a master's degree. WGU is one of the more popular choices there. But it all depends on what kind of degree you want.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-04-2019, 09:56 PM)FishNDip Wrote: Got some questions about a Masters degree.

So, I'm getting my BSBA in accounting at TESU with the clep and dssts. I'd like to know if I could get a masters with the clep and dsst at TESU? If not, then how do I go about getting one, and can you get one with clep and dsst? I'd like to join law enforcement and then go federal. So what masters degree would suit me? Does a specific masters degree matter, or is it just the fact that you have a masters get you a higher income? (for some jobs)

Thanks

-Nick

The test out options like CLEP and DSST only apply to the undergraduate (associate and bachelor's) levels. Save as much money and time on your bachelor's as possible to free up your resources for your master's. If you decide to get one, that's where you'll spend your cash.
TESU has a masters in Data Analytics that can be done through alternate credits through Statistics.com.

And I think some have been able to get some credits into programs at Amberton University.

However none of these is for business and are costly.

I think your best choice as others have mentioned is to do WGU.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I think much would depend on what you'd like to do in federal law enforcement. Forensic accounting? HRT?

Another place worth looking at is https://www.edx.org/masters. You can start there doing online courses fairly inexpensively (free if you are just doing it for personal enrichment) and earn a certificate or "micromasters", then get college credit for your courses if you go on to do a master's at the partner school. However, the courses are not worth credit unless you are accepted and earn your master's. You can't take them anywhere else, or claim them as grad credit outside of the program. You also have to watch the pricing varies widely.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • allvia
You should consider which agencies you want to join. Some of them don't care about your major while others require or strongly prefer certain degrees. The IRS requires a certain number of accounting credits. U.S. Marshals want criminal justice or sociology degrees. The FBI's needs change every so often, but they usually have a shortage of people with accounting and law degrees. I believe some of the parks positions prefer biology and natural resource management degrees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-04-2019, 10:02 PM)MNomadic Wrote: None of the CLEPs or DSSTs are worth graduate credit. In fact, very few of the alternative credit sources are available for graduate credit. There are a few threads that do show some of the cheaper grad credit sources.

In general, the big 3 are not recommended for a master's degree. WGU is one of the more popular choices there. But it all depends on what kind of degree you want.

I'm not sure what your trying to tell me here. If your saying I can't get BSBA in accounting with Clep and Dsst, then I believe your mistaken. If you look at the TESU website you'll see BSBA in accounting under online degrees. My friend got a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice using mostly clep and dsst. So I think the courses general apply for accounting degree, but I should probably ask.
(02-07-2019, 06:19 PM)FishNDip Wrote: I'm not sure what your trying to tell me here. If your saying I can't get BSBA in accounting with Clep and Dsst, then I believe your mistaken. If you look at the TESU website you'll see BSBA in accounting under online degrees. My friend got a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice using mostly clep and dsst. So I think the courses general apply for accounting degree, but I should probably ask.

Your initial post sounded like you wanted to use CLEP and DSST to directly earn credit for your master's, which isn't possible. You can certainly use them at the bachelor's level, then get into a master's program. The only caveat being that many grad programs have prerequisites that they won't accept if they come from alternative credit sources. If you don't care where you get your grad degree, then I'd say you don't need to worry about that too much. If you have some specific programs you would like to apply to, you should do the research now and make sure you fulfill their GPA and prerequisite requirements while earning your bachelor's.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-07-2019, 06:19 PM)FishNDip Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 10:02 PM)MNomadic Wrote: None of the CLEPs or DSSTs are worth graduate credit. In fact, very few of the alternative credit sources are available for graduate credit. There are a few threads that do show some of the cheaper grad credit sources.

I'm not sure what your trying to tell me here. If your saying I can't get BSBA in accounting with Clep and Dsst, then I believe your mistaken. If you look at the TESU website you'll see BSBA in accounting under online degrees. My friend got a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice using mostly clep and dsst. So I think the courses general apply for accounting degree, but I should probably ask.
I believe you're mistaken. MNomadic is correct.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(02-07-2019, 06:27 PM)davewill Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 06:19 PM)FishNDip Wrote: I'm not sure what your trying to tell me here. If your saying I can't get BSBA in accounting with Clep and Dsst, then I believe your mistaken. If you look at the TESU website you'll see BSBA in accounting under online degrees. My friend got a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice using mostly clep and dsst. So I think the courses general apply for accounting degree, but I should probably ask.

Your initial post sounded like you wanted to use CLEP and DSST to directly earn credit for your master's, which isn't possible. You can certainly use them at the bachelor's level, then get into a master's program. The only caveat being that many grad programs have prerequisites that they won't accept if they come from alternative credit sources. If you don't care where you get your grad degree, then I'd say you don't need to worry about that too much. If you have some specific programs you would like to apply to, you should do the research now and make sure you fulfill their GPA and prerequisite requirements while earning your bachelor's.

Yes, Thank you. I didn't understand the first post but all the other comments cleared it up for me. 
 So I can't use clep and dsst for masters. Gor it.
I'm just looking to get a masters to increase my pay. I don't expect to use it. 
Federally I'm looking at the FBI, but I'm unsure if they care about the type of masters degree.

Thanks for all the replies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI?? Vle045 26 1,234 08-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,517 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 503 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 485 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in Public Admin Mike Williams 11 2,475 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: teejayb
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 569 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 929 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,717 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  UMPI & Masters Degree midnite123 9 2,425 11-10-2022, 06:04 PM
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 3,405 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM