Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about my Academic Evaluation
I transferred in a few more Sophia courses and now I have this statement at the top of my Academic Evaluation:

!! Exception: The total number of semester hours required for your degree program has increased to balance/account for extra semester hour(s) applied to other specific requirements or sections. (add'l credit req'd due to over in Free Electives)

In Section 5, Electives, it says this:

!! Exception 29 sh needed due to over in Written Comm
SH Earned: 30

Is this anything to be concerned about?

In addition, I completed Sophia's Intro to Sociology and it transferred in as SOC-1100 which does not meet the requirements of Diversity Intercultural Literacy instead of SOC-1010.  It has only been a couple days since the credits appeared in my transfer summary and I have not gotten the email that my academic evaluation is complete.  Is there a chance that this will update to SOC-1010 or should I contact TESU now to appeal it?

Thanks to this forum, I am well on my way to finally getting my BA in Criminal Justice after 17 years of being in my career.  I transferred in 77 credits from my AS, and since the beginning of May 2023 have completed 21 credits on Sophia and just finished my first course on Study.com.  I have 5 more Study.com courses along with the cornerstone and capstone to complete.
@AnalysisParalysis, Great job in getting up to 98 credits transferred in! That's a good start with Study.com, pace yourself and get the remainder done with Study.com, then focus on the final TESU Cornerstone/Capstone. To answer your questions:

1) Is this anything to be concerned about? No, It's just indicating the number of credits you have and will need to take in that area.
2) Is there a chance that this will update to SOC-1010 or should I contact TESU now to appeal it? Email academic advising to correct.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-28-2023, 04:10 PM)AnalysisParalysis Wrote: In addition, I completed Sophia's Intro to Sociology and it transferred in as SOC-1100 which does not meet the requirements of Diversity Intercultural Literacy instead of SOC-1010.

Many individuals have been experiencing issues with the way courses are being evaluated at TESU, mainly because of the recent change in the numbering system.

It is crucial that everything aligns with our TESU degree plans. If there are any discrepancies, it is advisable to file an appeal when an incorrect entry occurs.

Keep in mind that modifications may occur as part of the ACE revaluation process, which takes place every few years.

For instance, Study.com's Rick Risk Management course was revised from 2 credits to 3 credits. Additionally, Study.com's Principles of Finance course was updated from LL to UL. It is worth noting that certain courses from Sophia or Study.com may expire and not be renewed.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • kai1120, origamishuttle
(06-28-2023, 06:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @AnalysisParalysis,  Great job in getting up to 98 credits transferred in!  That's a good start with Study.com, pace yourself and get the remainder done with Study.com, then focus on the final TESU Cornerstone/Capstone.  To answer your questions:

1) Is this anything to be concerned about?  No, It's just indicating the number of credits you have and will need to take in that area.
2) Is there a chance that this will update to SOC-1010 or should I contact TESU now to appeal it?  Email academic advising to correct.

(06-28-2023, 06:58 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 04:10 PM)AnalysisParalysis Wrote: In addition, I completed Sophia's Intro to Sociology and it transferred in as SOC-1100 which does not meet the requirements of Diversity Intercultural Literacy instead of SOC-1010.

Many individuals have been experiencing issues with the way courses are being evaluated at TESU, mainly because of the recent change in the numbering system.

It is crucial that everything aligns with our TESU degree plans. If there are any discrepancies, it is advisable to file an appeal when an incorrect entry occurs.

Keep in mind that modifications may occur as part of the ACE revaluation process, which takes place every few years.

For instance, Study.com's Rick Risk Management course was revised from 2 credits to 3 credits. Additionally, Study.com's Principles of Finance course was updated from LL to UL. It is worth noting that certain courses from Sophia or Study.com may expire and not be renewed.

Thank you both! I emailed them to have it corrected.  

Also, I nearly spit out my coffee from your casual reference of Rick Risk Management.  Thanks for the morning laugh.
[-] The following 2 users Like AnalysisParalysis's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle
Quote:The University reviewed the course and as of 9/15/21, determined that Sophia's course Intro of Sociology: Embracing Diversity is not equivalent to our SOC-101 Intro to Sociology.  The transfer credit you received is accurate.  

Well this is unfortunate, what are my options now?  Huh
(06-29-2023, 11:14 AM)AnalysisParalysis Wrote:
Quote:The University reviewed the course and as of 9/15/21, determined that Sophia's course Intro of Sociology: Embracing Diversity is not equivalent to our SOC-101 Intro to Sociology.  The transfer credit you received is accurate.  

OnlineDegree's History course should work. It's relatively easy and (IMO) kind of fun. You could also attempt the Sociology CLEP. That would be free through ModernStates and is valid for this requirement until at least the end of the year. https://iq3prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/Cata...CLEP-Exams

Political Science 103: Comparative Politics at Study.com should work. Or the course of the same name at Saylor. SOC-2100-TE Marriage and the Family TECEP should also work. 

I've updated the wiki and will add more if I notice them. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...Leadership
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-29-2023, 11:45 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-29-2023, 11:14 AM)AnalysisParalysis Wrote:

OnlineDegree's History course should work. It's relatively easy and (IMO) kind of fun. You could also attempt the Sociology CLEP. That would be free through ModernStates and is valid for this requirement until at least the end of the year. https://iq3prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/Cata...CLEP-Exams

Political Science 103: Comparative Politics at Study.com should work. Or the course of the same name at Saylor. SOC-2100-TE Marriage and the Family TECEP should also work. 

I've updated the wiki and will add more if I notice them. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...Leadership

Thank you.  It is strange that the easier version of Sophia's Into to Sociology was accepted, then once they added written assignments it changed to no longer accepted.  Due to my unpredictable work schedule and when I have time to study I really preferred the non-proctored format of Sophia over Study.com or a CLEP.  I'm planning on using vacation time to get a solid chunk of free time and booking a private study room at a local library for any proctored exams coming up, so I'll have to do the same for this as well.

I am not a fan of written assignments (all the more reason I am bummed that I already did it on Sophia), so I think I will pencil in the CLEP for sometime in the near future.

Thank you again for your input and updating the wiki.
The non-acceptance probably has to do with the name. It doesn't sound like a "real" class. They did the same thing with the Sociology course. Very annoying!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-29-2023, 11:45 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I've updated the wiki and will add more if I notice them. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...Leadership

Study.com's Sociology 101: Intro to Sociology should work as it states on the equivalent that it comes in as
Sociology 100.
https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-29-2023, 09:52 PM)LevelUP Wrote: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after

This is an old page - you need to direct people to https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/j...-and-after
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • AnalysisParalysis

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 49 4,766 10-02-2024, 06:37 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU Evaluation Chann 2 330 09-18-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Chann
  LIB4950 Capstone - Oral Presentation question MLFLY6 3 361 09-04-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: MLFLY6
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 14 2,092 07-02-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CIS degree/transcript question charfife 10 1,143 06-10-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 923 04-25-2024, 10:16 AM
  Recent Evaluation for Google IT Support MissRN 8 1,084 04-22-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Quick question about MAN-3760 & MAN-3730 jg_nuy 7 882 03-20-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 584 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 1,006 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz