Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plagiarism on a Team Project
As the team leader I assume you rejected it back to them, and let them know why?

This is what I would’ve done. And as the team leader explain that it puts the entire team at risk and won’t be tolerated.
(08-09-2022, 12:32 PM)Pats20 Wrote: As the team leader I assume you rejected it back to them, and let them know why?

This is what I would’ve done. And as the team leader explain that  it puts the entire team at risk and won’t be tolerated.

Nope. Straight to the professor. I don't get paid to handle that mess. The school has a strict policy against plagiarism. The entire class knows the policy. It's in every class. We were quizzed on it the first week.

(08-09-2022, 08:14 AM)allvia Wrote: As the team leader I assume you rejected it back to them, and let them know why?  Curious if you called them out on it in the team meeting or one-on-one. If you hadn't caught it and it was submitted it would have sank the whole team - as it would equal you all plagiarizing if submitted for grading as a team.  Plagiarizing is bad (we can all agree on that), but plagiarizing knowing you could cause harm to an entire team of people - that is the worst kind of plagiarizer.

I didn't submit the work. It was submitted 2 days after our team deadlines so someone had to rewrite it a few days before the entire assignment was due. The professor said I should as I was the team leader that way I know it's not plagiarized. I contacted the professor and they wanted to see the documents so  I sent them to her. We haven't had a team meeting since it was submitted. I'm glad I found it because it would have impacted all of us. It doesn't just impact the student who isn't doing their work, but the entire team since we share the grade. I don't know how they thought it would get past TurnItIn. It didn't even get past me!
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • allvia, origamishuttle
(08-09-2022, 02:23 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 08:14 AM)allvia Wrote: As the team leader I assume you rejected it back to them, and let them know why?  Curious if you called them out on it in the team meeting or one-on-one. If you hadn't caught it and it was submitted it would have sank the whole team - as it would equal you all plagiarizing if submitted for grading as a team.  Plagiarizing is bad (we can all agree on that), but plagiarizing knowing you could cause harm to an entire team of people - that is the worst kind of plagiarizer.

I didn't submit the work. It was submitted 2 days after our team deadlines so someone had to rewrite it a few days before the entire assignment was due. The professor said I should as I was the team leader that way I know it's not plagiarized. I contacted the professor and they wanted to see the documents so  I sent them to her. We haven't had a team meeting since it was submitted. I'm glad I found it because it would have impacted all of us. It doesn't just impact the student who isn't doing their work, but the entire team since we share the grade. I don't know how they thought it would get past TurnItIn. It didn't even get past me!

Since I know you're attending Amberton, when you posted this all I could think of was 'don't they realize it passes through TurnItIn before it even makes it to the professor? I'm curious if this was the person's first class...although it is likely their last.  Such blatant bad behavior on a group project - it's ludicrous.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Was this at Amberton or another school? I wonder how they even got into the program or how they got their undergrad degree?
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-09-2022, 03:30 PM)allvia Wrote: Since I know you're attending Amberton, when you posted this all I could think of was 'don't they realize it passes through TurnItIn before it even makes it to the professor? I'm curious if this was the person's first class...although it is likely their last.  Such blatant bad behavior on a group project - it's ludicrous.

I don't know how they thought it would make it past TurnItIn! I reported it to the professor who is a director of the business program I believe. In the syllabus, it says plagiarism goes to the Dean so they could be kicked out. I can't say I feel sorry for them because this put the entire team in danger. I'm glad I caught it and wrote those sections of the paper. We scored 1% on TurnItIn after I wrote those sections. And I cite everything like crazy because I don't want anyone accusing me of plagiarizing and getting kicked out. I mean if you want to plagiarize on your own, good luck, but on a team assignment that's really not cool.

(08-09-2022, 09:47 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Was this at Amberton or another school? I wonder how they even got into the program or how they got their undergrad degree?

It happened last week. I have no idea how they completed their undergrad based on what they submitted. If they're allowed to stay in grad school, I'd be surprised. They may get a warning from the Dean, but I don't see it ending well. I mean to copy straight from a textbook! Doesn't say to me that you're very bright. A textbook on Google books no less.
Stupid is as stupid does. Copying word for word is crazy stupid. It sure makes you wonder how they made it to grad school. It just goes to show, common sense isn’t so common.
I do wonder if it was done because they missed the team deadline but that's still not a justification. Poor time management shouldn't equate to cheating and plagiarism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Project Management Cert? GoBroncos95 11 884 07-06-2024, 11:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Op Eds - I Vote on Plagiarism Cases at Harvard College. Gay’s Getting off Easy. posabsolute 0 435 12-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,787 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Plagiarism scan results Jennr2z 13 2,301 02-22-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Google Project Management: Professional Certificate midnite123 5 2,129 10-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 1,086 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Has anyone taken the Sophia Project Management Course? passit1 6 5,076 04-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Construction Project Manager Certification humboldtjake 2 1,238 03-30-2019, 05:57 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Alternative Credit Project closing down cookderosa 50 13,115 08-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Last Post: magflo
  Project Management? ChasingDegrees 2 1,730 03-28-2018, 01:37 AM
Last Post: Merlin