Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD by Conference Presentation
By now, we're all familiar with Capitol Technology University being one of the few American universities to offer dissertation-only doctorates. As an alternative, you can publish three articles in "high-impact" journals. According to a former student, who posted here and chose the publication option, CapTech is not particularly picky when it comes to journal choices.

Now, there is a third option...sort of. In lieu of two of the three peer-reviewed articles, you can present at two peer-reviewed, international conferences. When I last looked, I only saw this option on the Engineering Management and Healthcare Technology pages, but it's possible that they just didn't update all the 40+ doctoral program pages.

https://www.captechu.edu/degrees-and-pro...gement-phd
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-26-2024, 07:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: By now, we're all familiar with Capitol Technology University being one of the few American universities to offer dissertation-only doctorates. As an alternative, you can publish three articles in "high-impact" journals. According to a former student, who posted here and chose the publication option, CapTech is not particularly picky when it comes to journal choices.

Now, there is a third option...sort of. In lieu of two of the three peer-reviewed articles, you can present at two peer-reviewed, international conferences. When I last looked, I only saw this option on the Engineering Management and Healthcare Technology pages, but it's possible that they just didn't update all the 40+ doctoral program pages.

Wonder if a conference publication and presentation from a single conference counts as 2. I feel like this is even less rigorous than the paper route, which allowed credit for publishing in dubious journals.

-
Joe the engineer
-
Joe
(04-26-2024, 07:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: By now, we're all familiar with Capitol Technology University being one of the few American universities to offer dissertation-only doctorates. As an alternative, you can publish three articles in "high-impact" journals. According to a former student, who posted here and chose the publication option, CapTech is not particularly picky when it comes to journal choices.

Interesting.  What is the total tuition for the Phd by Publication?
(04-26-2024, 09:24 PM)durain Wrote:

Interesting.  What is the total tuition for the Phd by Publication?

I don't want to call it a PhD by publication because that would confuse it with a specific style of PhD seen outside of the U.S. that isn't like CapTech's program. Regardless of which option you choose, most of their doctoral programs are 60 credit hours, and the cost is $990 per credit hour (including the technology fee). Tuition information is at the bottom of each degree page. CapTech accepts up to 42 transfer credits.

Let me correct myself. How each country does PhD by publication is different.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsc...blication/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • NotJoeBiden
What I dislike with the PhD programs that require publications is the they requires someone to have publishable work in order to graduate. Very often students do not get results that can be published. I think a program like this that allows for different types of of publications for graduation should become the standard.
-
Joe
[-] The following 1 user Likes NotJoeBiden's post:
  • ss20ts