Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was
Foreigners typically are more loyal and have a stronger work ethic.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Ares
(02-14-2024, 11:04 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 02:17 AM)Ares Wrote: Well something is seriously wrong with STEM university programs because I have hired multiple people over the past 10 years with a B.S. in Computer Science/Information Technology from established state universities and they know next to nothing about the subject, cannot handle pressure, whine about "work life balance", refuse overtime and want to be promoted after a month of doing nothing. The ones I hire with just tech certs (CompTIA, Microsoft etc...) or associate degrees in tech are still employed.

My father is an engineer and he never had a light workload in his life. Nights and weekends were common but his degrees were certainly cheaper, I will agree on that.

I'm Gen X and I'm not working overtime. I will not work for a company where I don't have a work/life balance. I did that when I was younger and refuse to now. Companies have shown how loyal they are to their employees - they're not at all - and employees are fed up.

"Work-life" balance is a subjective term and I am not talking about not having a personal life, though some of the ones using the term would like to give that impression to hide their laziness and unprofessionalism. No I mean the ones who when something is burning down and are on a lunch break but refuse to answer a simple question only they know about or the clock hits 5 PM and the person taking over their shift has a quick question (literally a one sentence question) about something the first person was working on earlier but they are now "off the clock" even though by answering the question they would be on the clock and compensated. These are entitled, lazy and selfish people that can ruin a work environment and I make sure to get rid of them but nothing I am talking about has anything to do with company loyalty. It has to do with a person's work ethic and professionalism, on average it is unfortunately lacking with younger generations. I only expect people to do the job they are compensated for.

(02-15-2024, 12:14 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Foreigners typically are more loyal and have a stronger work ethic.

100% true and no matter how much I try to help MANY U.S. citizens, too many act like showing up and doing the bare minimum means they deserve a raise, bonus and a promotion. The good ones now have nice jobs and are well compensated but I am not giving those jobs away you have to earn it.
(02-14-2024, 02:17 AM)Ares Wrote: I have no sympathy for the lazy and entitled who when hired for a job, are told up front the job requirements, expectations, including hours, shifts, vacation and sick policy then try to renege on what they signed up for. Apparently no one ever told them you cannot dictate to your boss the terms of the job your are employed at. These are hourly workers who get time and a half for overtime which is mandatory (48 hours min) for a few months out of the year and they then have it easy the rest. This is definitely a generational issues which has started to appear over the last 10 years and is getting worse. I work for a billion dollar company and we have no shortage of people applying. I consistently wind up hiring more older workers because they are less likely to be lazy or entitled. My employees are managed very well and well compensated so I don't need any "resources". OT for those we keep can add up to over $20-30K to their yearly salary if they take advantage of it. Ten years ago I would have to send people home because they were working 80+ hours now some young snowflakes cannot be bothered to stay past 5 PM when we need them. These people are quickly cut loose and it is consistently Millennials and Gen Z. If most of them were not still living with their parents their attitude might change.

It is always the younger generations who are lazy. Management’s scapegoat. A story as old as time.

-
Joe
-
Joe
[-] The following 4 users Like NotJoeBiden's post:
  • jsd, MrPanda, rachel83az, ss20ts
(02-15-2024, 01:07 AM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: It is always the younger generations who are lazy. Management’s scapegoat. A story as old as time.

Except this time it is actually true...

Employers avoid hiring 'entitled' Gen Zs: report (HRD)

Quote:Workplace behaviors of Gen Z

Those who did end up hiring a recent grad also revealed negative experiences while working with them, with 63% of employers saying they can't handle their workload. Others pointed out the following issues with Gen Z staff:
  • Frequently late to work (61%)
  • Often miss deadlines and assignments (59%)
  • Don't dress professionally (57%)
  • Frequently late to meetings (53%)
  • Deliver poor quality work (53%)
  • Use inappropriate language (51%)
  • Difficult to manage (50%)
  • Don't get along with co-workers (41%)

A “study” that is simply an online poll and a tik-tok. Who could argue with that?

-
Joe
-
Joe
[-] The following 4 users Like NotJoeBiden's post:
  • CatsDomino, MrPanda, rachel83az, ss20ts
(02-15-2024, 06:12 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: A “study” that is simply an online poll and a tik-tok. Who could argue with that?

-
Joe

I definitely cite tik tok videos in my research papers.  Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • NotJoeBiden, rachel83az
Look at that new reports keep coming out on this...

Managers don’t want to hire Gen Z candidates (Benefits PRO)

Quote:A new study by ResumeBuilder found that 3 out of 10 hiring managers say they avoid hiring Gen Z candidates. Out of the managers who did hire a Gen Z candidate, 30% said they were fired within a month of their start date. 

Bad interview etiquette, entitlement and shortcomings in the workplace are all reasons hiring managers said they avoid hiring Gen Z candidates. Nearly 60% of managers said Gen Zers are entitled, get offended too easily and don’t respond well to feedback, according to the study. 

When it comes to the hiring process, managers found that Gen Z candidates frequently act inappropriately. According to the study, hiring managers said over 30% of Gen Z candidates don’t seem engaged, aren’t prepared for the interview and don’t ask questions. Nearly 60% of candidates weren’t dressed appropriately and struggled with eye contact. [...]

The study found that 6 out of 10 hiring managers said Gen Z workers are entitled. Those who have worked with Gen Z candidates say over 30% are late to start work, don’t use appropriate language for work and can’t manage the workload. Over half of the hiring managers surveyed said that Gen Z workers lack motivation and work ethic, have poor communication skills and are unprepared for the workforce. 

Plenty of other people are noticing what I am...

Jodie Foster slams Gen Z as 'really annoying' to work with, saying they can't even write emails correctly (Business Insider)

Quote:Jodie Foster slammed Generation Z, saying they can be "really annoying" to work with.

In an interview with The Guardian, the Oscar-winning actor said she found it difficult to understand the attitudes towards work held by Gen Zers — usually considered to be those born between 1997 and 2012.

"They're really annoying, especially in the workplace," she said. "They're like, 'Nah, I'm not feeling it today, I'm gonna come in at 10.30 a.m.'"

She added that they also often failed to grasp the necessity of writing professional-sounding emails.

"In emails, I'll tell them this is all grammatically incorrect, did you not check your spelling?

"And they're like, 'Why would I do that, isn't that kind of limiting?'"

Boss slams Gen Z and Millennial work trend: 'Lazy and entitled' (Yahoo Finance)

Quote:One such boss is U & U Recruitment Partners managing director Craig Sneesby, who said he was personally against the trend.

“Employees are paid to do a job and work the hours that they have agreed to,” he told news.com.au.

“You are setting a really poor standard if we accept a mediocre start to the week. I would not expect any high-achieving worker to want to get involved in this trend.

“It creates a space for workers to be lazy and generates a culture of entitlement.”
Young people don't want to work nowadays.

[Image: employment-pop-ratio.png]

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS12300012
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Ares
(02-16-2024, 03:51 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Young people don't want to work nowadays.

[Image: employment-pop-ratio.png]

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS12300012

That is a graph of 16-19 year olds

-
Joe
-
Joe
[-] The following 2 users Like NotJoeBiden's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, rachel83az
My grandfather was a Greatest Generation American.

He was needed on the farm, so he left school to become employed after completing third grade.

Fewer stories like his means a lower number on that graph today than in the early 20th century.

This is not necessarily a bad thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • NotJoeBiden, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 88 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  people who have multiple degrees crowbird 18 551 09-25-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 173,544 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,795 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,101 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,374 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 636 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 456 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 782 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 301 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox