Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn Foster proctored final exam—Feedback?
Dag nab it. I had a REALLY funny reply, but I mistakenly hit the wrong button and lost it. Well, the boring answer is that you need to look at your syllabus. It has what percentage of your quiz scores, and what percentage of your final exam score are combined to come to your grade. Who knows? You might not have to take the final. Do the math, but, from what you've said about your grades thus far, you're likely not to have the requisite quiz grades to skin that cat. Good luck. Oh, and this just came to mind. PF might require that you take the final.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
My syllabus says this:

Grading Criteria:
Lesson examinations (4) 67%
Final (proctored) 33%

Does that mean that passing for the final is 33%, or the final counts for 1/3 of my grade?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
I wish I could have passed my final with a 33%! Who knows? I might have actually passed it. No, you can't pass the final with a 33%. Here's where I remind you that I'm mathematically challenged. (In other words: "Warning, Danger Ahead.) I think that you combine the lesson examination scores, average them, and take 67% of that number. Then, you take the final, and take 33% of THAT number. THEN you combine the two, and that's your final grade. Please, for the love of all that you hold holy, do NOT take my word as the final word. If my thinking is correct, it means that you MUST take the final as, even if you had a 100% average on your examininations, 67% of that would be a flunking score.

Again, please do NOT take my word for this.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer Wrote:I wish I could have passed my final with a 33%! Who knows? I might have actually passed it. No, you can't pass the final with a 33%. Here's where I remind you that I'm mathematically challenged. (In other words: "Warning, Danger Ahead.) I think that you combine the lesson examination scores, average them, and take 67% of that number. Then, you take the final, and take 33% of THAT number. THEN you combine the two, and that's your final grade. Please, for the love of all that you hold holy, do NOT take my word as the final word. If my thinking is correct, it means that you MUST take the final as, even if you had a 100% average on your examininations, 67% of that would be a flunking score.

Again, please do NOT take my word for this.

That should be correct. What that should mean (also assuming PF allows you to fail the final):
Code:
Quiz Grades Avg     Final Grade Required to Pass Class
     70%                                70%
     80%                                50%
     90%                                30%
     100%                               10%
Got it! Thank you, thank you, LaterBloomer and contactmail!!

I wish I would have understood that sooner—I would have made sure my quiz grades were higher. :O Wink
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
I've got one more question (I've always have to ask the "what if"): what happens if I don't get a high enough score and don't pass the course?
I think if you have any score less than a 70%, you may take that quiz or test over. Even if your "do-over" score is 100%, you will only be awarded a 70%. (Double check this with PF.) I do not know how soon after you fail a quiz or final you must retake that quiz/final. Also, let's say you fail the quiz for the first chapter, but you take the quiz for the second chapter the next day. I do not know if you can go back and take the failed first quiz over again since you've already taken the second quiz. Stuff you need to check with PF about. Good luck.

LaterBloomer Wrote:I think if you have any score less than a 70%, you may take that quiz or test over. Even if your "do-over" score is 100%, you will only be awarded a 70%. (Double check this with PF.) I do not know how soon after you fail a quiz or final you must retake that quiz/final. Also, let's say you fail the quiz for the first chapter, but you take the quiz for the second chapter the next day. I do not know if you can go back and take the failed first quiz over again since you've already taken the second quiz. Stuff you need to check with PF about. Good luck.

Yeah, the quizzes you can retake a day later, and your right you only get a passing score even if you got answered 100% right.

I was just wondering about the final exam, if they let you retake it or not.
Btw, I just read somewhere (maybe it was their FAQs) that if you fail one of PF's courses then you can't retake the course with them! So if you were earning your degree through them and flunked one of their courses then you have to fulfill that course through another institution. I thought that was interesting!
I [I]think[I] that you can also take the final again. This is TOTALLY a guess, but I'd be surprised to learn that a for-profit institution wouldn't be willing to take your money a second time! Check with PF on that. It may be that you have to wait some time before retaking the course.

Mhm, I would think they would allow a retest... I'm not really worried about it, just wondered what the deal is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 920 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 828 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 617 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Tired of WGU proctoring - non-proctored alternatives zadaea 14 16,290 09-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Canadians that lived in foster care, free university cerich67 3 1,363 01-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Davissio
  Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food -- ISO feedback sammeecat 9 2,138 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Penn Foster College Ace Credit Expirations okikuma 15 4,676 05-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Course hero membership... Worth it for SL final exams? onmygo 2 4,108 03-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Can't access Specific Exam Feedback studyandpass5 1 1,087 12-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Penn Foster Acquired Ashworth sanantone 2 1,637 09-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77