Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn Foster proctored final exam—Feedback?
Does anybody know how hard Penn Foster's proctored final exams are? I just finished Intermediate Accounting II and then they told me that I have to take a proctored final exam! :S And I was suppose to receive the paperwork several weeks ago, but I haven't gotten a thing (I suppose that's why I didn't know that I had a proctored exam to take).

Anyway, just wondered if anybody here has insight into how hard the exam is... I'm a little worried since I don't know what to expect. :|
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
Let me just say two things:
1. I hope that you did REAL well on your quizes.
2. Study HARD.

Oh, and a third thing, good luck. I won't say how bad I did on my first two finals, but I'm grateful that I did as well as I did on my quizes. For the last three, I studied hard and passed. That's it, passed. As you know, they aren't multiple choice. While mine were open book, you definitely did NOT have time to check your answers, or check for answers.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Ubuntu_user

Have you logged in to your account to see if the final exam is available within the course docs? I took Intermediate Accounting I and the exam booklet was online and non-proctored.

If not, did you send in your proctor form? You do realize your proctor can be anyone you know who has at minimum an AA degree. The final is mailed to your designated proctor. Also, the proctored exams are open book and although the exams state two-three hours you actually have up to three weeks to return the exam packet. Which of course takes the pressure off of the test taker. This is probably the main reason these classes are only accepted via ACE.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
It's weird. I think that somewhere on the PF site it says three hours per exam, but I only had one hour for each exam. (Now that I think about it, I think that the three hours is on the form that the proctor fills in to register as a proctor.) I recently took five PF final exams. I had proctors for all of them. Had they all been under the same student ID, I would have had to take ALL five on the same day with only a fifteen minute break between exams. Every exam I took had to be done within one hour. I'm telling you, you have to KNOW your stuff. (I hate open book tests. For me, I feel that I have to check every answer I put down. I've just decided to leave the book closed and at home.) As it was, they allowed me to register for the five tests under two student ID numbers. I took two tests on one day, and three tests on another day. You're given three weeks within which to take the exams, but I think it's so you and your proctor can organize a time convenient (!) for both of you.)

Good luck!
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
They are hard. I had straight As on my quizzes when I took my final proctored exam in Terrorism. It was all essay and only 60 minutes. I wrote until my hand cramped (and I have had a stroke) andwrote seven pages in responses. Some of the questions were extremely obscure info from the book. Fortunately, I did pretty well but I know of two others who failed on the same exam.

Study very hard.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
My experience was much different, I found the exams were not difficult at all. Maybe because I'm comparing it to TESC and even my community college courses. I've taken four penn foster courses, two had proctored exams. The proctored exams are open book (=easy), can be taken with anyone you know (=no pressure). The exam is mailed to the proctor but returned by you. Again, this is why I believe TESC will only accept these courses on an ACE transcript, the same as ALEKS. BTW, I found the ALEKS courses, college algebra and above, much more difficult. The benefit of PF is easy credit and the textbook is included in the cost (with financial mgmt I also received a calculator). Just another opinion; YMMV.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Not easy when you don't know the proctor and are taking it under the gun at a testing center and not open book.
I was not allowed to have my book and not allowed more than the time allowed (use any proctor you want and open book)? REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
"When the student completes the required coursework, a sealed examination will be sent to you. The exam is a timed, open book exam usually 5-6 hours and must be administered in one sitting within three weeks of receipt. If you change your address, please notify the student so that he/she may contact the Center."

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
bricabrac Wrote:Ubuntu_user

Have you logged in to your account to see if the final exam is available within the course docs? I took Intermediate Accounting I and the exam booklet was online and non-proctored.

If not, did you send in your proctor form? You do realize your proctor can be anyone you know who has at minimum an AA degree. The final is mailed to your designated proctor. Also, the proctored exams are open book and although the exams state two-three hours you actually have up to three weeks to return the exam packet. Which of course takes the pressure off of the test taker. This is probably the main reason these classes are only accepted via ACE.

bricabrac Wrote:My experience was much different, I found the exams were not difficult at all. Maybe because I'm comparing it to TESC and even my community college courses. I've taken four penn foster courses, two had proctored exams. The proctored exams are open book (=easy), can be taken with anyone you know (=no pressure). The exam is mailed to the proctor but returned by you. Again, this is why I believe TESC will only accept these courses on an ACE transcript, the same as ALEKS. BTW, I found the ALEKS courses, college algebra and above, much more difficult. The benefit of PF is easy credit and the textbook is included in the cost (with financial mgmt I also received a calculator). Just another opinion; YMMV.

bricabrac Wrote:[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
"When the student completes the required coursework, a sealed examination will be sent to you. The exam is a timed, open book exam usually 5-6 hours and must be administered in one sitting within three weeks of receipt. If you change your address, please notify the student so that he/she may contact the Center."

You say they were easy but it seems that you are stating that you have access to the exam for 03 weeks since you can choose your proctor? I am confused.

With a actual proctor that is following the rules in spirit and as written, the 02 exams I took were open book but hard. They have the material, they read the rules and give you the exam. It does state on the material given to the proctor that we are only to have an hour. I was expecting 02-03 hours but then when I was told 01 hour, there isn't much time to look anything up. It could be a discrepancy in the printed material but who knows. When you are taking the exam it is too late to ask.
LaterBloomer: you only had one hour??? PF says you're given 5-6 hours...

bricabrac: yes, Intermediate Accounting I doesn't have a proctored exam—do you think the proctored exam for Intermediate Accounting II will be similar to that (in format and content)?

What good is a proctored exam if the exam is returned by the student? I don't understand PF's reasoning on some fronts...

Boy, I hope it goes well...
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 920 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 827 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 617 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Tired of WGU proctoring - non-proctored alternatives zadaea 14 16,284 09-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Canadians that lived in foster care, free university cerich67 3 1,361 01-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Davissio
  Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food -- ISO feedback sammeecat 9 2,138 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Penn Foster College Ace Credit Expirations okikuma 15 4,676 05-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Course hero membership... Worth it for SL final exams? onmygo 2 4,108 03-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Can't access Specific Exam Feedback studyandpass5 1 1,084 12-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Penn Foster Acquired Ashworth sanantone 2 1,637 09-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77