Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn Foster for an actual degree
I have no objection to you pursuing an NA degree, I have one - so does my husband. That said, 120 credits is 120 credits. In other words, the work is the same. Sending a CLEP Macroeconomics exam score over to PF is no different than sending it over to TESU - so what you GET at the end is the difference, not what you put IN.

I'd urge you to consider an alternative to your plan.

If I were in your shoes, and I had a RA degree from TESU, I'd consider a masters degree for my business degree. Here's why:
-you'll have an RA bachelor's, which is the important one. That assures you're not going to be excluded from jobs that have an RA degree requirement.
-masters is only 30-36 credits, bachelor's is 120, imo a master's is easier- fewer classes and almost every class will be "in" the subject. (bachelors degrees are full of gen eds)
-masters NA in a business degree works for most people better than an NA in almost every other field.

So, my 2 cents are to pursue a business masters after your bachelor's, and whether or not it's NA/RA is really a personal preference at that point.
cookderosa Wrote:-masters NA in a business degree works for most people better than an NA in almost every other field.

I had no idea this was the case - interesting. My son is on track to get an RA Bachelors degree in 2017 and was casually considering continuing on and getting his masters - but WGU apparently requires a few years of career experience before admitting students into the MBA program, and being 17, he lacks that. Are there any specific NA MBA programs you'd recommend looking into?
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
cookderosa Wrote:If I were in your shoes, and I had a RA degree from TESU, I'd consider a masters degree for my business degree. Here's why:
-you'll have an RA bachelor's, which is the important one. That assures you're not going to be excluded from jobs that have an RA degree requirement.
-masters is only 30-36 credits, bachelor's is 120, imo a master's is easier- fewer classes and almost every class will be "in" the subject. (bachelors degrees are full of gen eds)
-masters NA in a business degree works for most people better than an NA in almost every other field.

A 2nd bachelors typically requires only 30 new credits, typically all "in" the subject.
rowan555 Wrote:I had no idea this was the case - interesting. My son is on track to get an RA Bachelors degree in 2017 and was casually considering continuing on and getting his masters - but WGU apparently requires a few years of career experience before admitting students into the MBA program, and being 17, he lacks that. Are there any specific NA MBA programs you'd recommend looking into?

Yup. Ashworth College. There's a whole list, but that would be one of the cheaper/easier ones available.
However, I would recommend Patten as it's RA and simple as well, for $2grand/4 month term, $4 grand/8 months.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks for the heads up.

I work in aerospace, with rocket engines and launch vehicles, and have no use for a masters in business. I have no use for a bachelors in business either but maybe one focusing on management could help in the future? If nothing else, I plan on starting a side business and acquiring my FFL soon so knowledge will help there.

Im saying, since gen eds will be covered, I am considering NA degrees for fun. Its not like I will have to have 120 credits every time. I will have 1 or 2 regionally accredited bachelors and associates, so my bases will be covered there. Its not like a history degree or some other LA degrees are useful in the real world anyways, other than teaching or checking a box. Im in a STEM field. Some electrical/electronic credentials will help my career or at least make me more useful and look good on a resume, and Im just interested in it. Learning more about electronics will help my instrumentation and avionics knowledge out, which can come in handy quite often.

I might consider a masters after some of this, just for the heck of it, though. But probably just in something I am interested in.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

rowan555 Wrote:I had no idea this was the case - interesting. My son is on track to get an RA Bachelors degree in 2017 and was casually considering continuing on and getting his masters - but WGU apparently requires a few years of career experience before admitting students into the MBA program, and being 17, he lacks that. Are there any specific NA MBA programs you'd recommend looking into?

If you're attending as a distance learner, then as quickly and cheaply as possible. If you're attending on campus, then the college with the best alumni network you can get into.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 457 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,540 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 427 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,979 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,475 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,472 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,628 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 784 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 2,011 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 897 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy