Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dsst: civil war OR soviet union?
Wow the power of instantcert!! Thanks to all who replied I will go with civil war. Will post in exam forum when done
happy23211 Wrote:Wow the power of instantcert!! Thanks to all who replied I will go with civil war. Will post in exam forum when done

Just be sure to side with the North if you want to pass!! :iagree:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Storyteller Wrote:Sounds like Civil War is for you - there is a lot of study material available, study notes, specific feedback, Ken Burns video series and Utube/mp3 series by Harvard prof. David Blount that can help. Along with REA and Peterson's study guides.
Definitely, Civil War. Good luck!

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Ken Burns series! Heck, go to YouTube and do a search for videos on either subject and you should be able to find a good documentary that will help prepare. I remember doing this for the DSST exam on the Vietnam War and it REALLY helped!
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
happy23211 Wrote:i'm canadian and i'm embarrassed to say i don't know much about u.s. history so i'd be learning it from scratch. so is the civil war exam still easier? =)

A fellow Canuck here. I did the Civil War DSST awhile ago and found it much easier to study for--there are a lot of related video resources. I'm still studying the Soviet Union one and have found it's the only challenge exam that I have needed to buy a textbook for!

Here's a list of stuff I used to study for the Civil War one: Challenge It!: The Civil War and Reconstruction (DANTES)

Good luck.
Just took the Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union DSST yesterday, and I have to say it was the most difficult test I've ever taken. I've taken the Civil War DSST, English CLEP (maxed out), and several others toward my Excelsior degree. I filled out their post-test survey and lambasted them for basing their test on trivial minutae. Imagine my surprise when I found out I achieved a 74 (45 for a passing grade)!

If you want to do well on this test, know all the names, dates and economic programs of the Soviet Union. Make sure you know all the key players of the Revolution. Lastly, get comfortable with a biographical listing of all the famous Russians from 1895 - 1991. Oh, did I mention anything about memorizing all the names from that time? You should get the picture by now: know your names and dates.

This test is based upon knowing all the mundane details from the Soviet period. I cannot put it any more succinctly than that.
Just took the Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union DSST yesterday, and I have to say it was the most difficult test I've ever taken. I've taken the Civil War DSST, English CLEP (maxed out), and several others toward my Excelsior degree. I filled out their post-test survey and lambasted them for basing their test on trivial minutae. Imagine my surprise when I found out I achieved a 74 (45 for a passing grade)!

If you want to do well on this test, know all the names, dates and economic programs of the Soviet Union. Make sure you know all the key players of the Revolution. Lastly, get comfortable with a biographical listing of all the famous Russians from 1895 - 1991. Oh, did I mention anything about memorizing all the names from that time? You should get the picture by now: know your names and dates.

This test is based upon knowing all the mundane details from the Soviet period. I cannot put it any more succinctly than that.
i have to take this for my History concentration Sad

interesting link

A timeline of Russia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 456 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  For Union Members prkarlov 6 827 05-02-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,055 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Union Plus Free Degrees are Dead TINASAM 9 2,189 09-11-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: redheadguy03
  Free Bachelors Degrees for Union Member letterchaser202 32 4,579 11-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wow
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,360 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,397 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Liberty University Online BS in Physics and BS Civil Engineering armstrongsubero 2 1,745 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,958 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az