Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pandemic-To-Permanent
Forbes article mentions 11 Lasting changes to higher ed!  I wonder eh?...

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brandonbust...f4a5b9452f
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Interesting...
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
#2 is dumb (and I'm black, but not in favor of quotas and that crap, my dad is VERY anti-quota after being the only black guy at work and continuously getting offered promotions he was NOT qualified for in the 70's and 80's) - but everything else makes a lot of sense.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think the whole list is dumb. People are only willing to spend money on higher education due to perceived value. If there is a perception that online education is equally valuable or superior to terrestrial education, many of these may be true. But if there is a perception that terrestrial education is superior, there still will be a marketplace for a more “conventional” education. It is also the case that millions of 17-18 year old kids want the traditional college experience and they are the consumers of the product. If their desires change, maybe these things will come to pass. I think it is probably equally or more likely that their will be a strong reaction AGAINST online education by kids who had to do a year of schooling at home and who are MORE interested in that “conventional” college experience. These are YOLO/FOMO kids we are talking about and they have missed out on a lot over the last year.

As for the diversity point: who, exactly, is going to demand these metrics be realized. Maybe the government, but I doubt it. The marketplace? Does the author really think that students will make diversity the main criteria in selecting a college? I am a liberal, I believe in affirmative action, and even I think that is idiotic. 17-18 year old KIDS will go to where they want to go to school, the school where their friends are going, the school that offers their degree program, the school that is an area/city/geographical area they like, that is highly ranked, that is near to home/far from home, that is affordable, that is easy/hard. After taking ALL of that into consideration, maybe they consider diversity. Don’t get me wrong, if there is effectively no diversity, people who identify with a particular minority might be dissuaded from attending. I could see not wanting to be a black woman at a school where 99% of students are white males. But that begs the original question, who, besides the minority students, are going to really do anything about it?
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(05-18-2021, 02:09 PM)freeloader Wrote: As for the diversity point: who, exactly, is going to demand these metrics be realized. Maybe the government, but I doubt it. The marketplace?  Does the author really think that students will make diversity the main criteria in selecting a college?  I am a liberal, I believe in affirmative action, and even I think that is idiotic. 17-18 year old KIDS will go to where they want to go to school, the school where their friends are going, the school that offers their degree program, the school that is an area/city/geographical area they like, that is highly ranked, that is near to home/far from home, that is affordable, that is easy/hard. After taking ALL of that into consideration, maybe they consider diversity.  Don’t get me wrong, if there is effectively no diversity, people who identify with a particular minority might be dissuaded from attending. I could see not wanting to be a black woman at a school where 99% of students are white males. But that begs the original question, who, besides the minority students, are going to really do anything about it?

Who is going to demand compliance with these metrics? 

The government? Yes. 

Students? Yes.

Woke management in corporations who probably for the most part believe all this stuff but in any case can afford to take the hit by not employing the most productive staff but make out in the end by holding on to market share by keeping out smaller competitors who cannot afford the early stage inefficiencies  Tongue ? Yes.

"But that begs the original question, who, besides the minority students, are going to really do anything about it?"
It's not even the minority students. My impression is there are FAR more white SJWs pushing this than actual minority students. FWIW, the white male is not the largest race/sex student demo in the U.S.A., that "honor" has belonged to the white female for at LEAST the last 30 years.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
As someone who has been currently attending and working at a brick and morter university and during the pandemic. I 100% agree with everything on this list has the potential to become a permanent trend. While I might not personally agree with everything on this list, if definitely echos the trends I've been hearing from students and staff on B&M campuses. It's like they are mind readers.
(05-18-2021, 02:09 PM)freeloader Wrote: It is also the case that millions of 17-18 year old kids want the traditional college experience and they are the consumers of the product. If their desires change, maybe these things will come to pass. I think it is probably equally or more likely that their will be a strong reaction AGAINST online education by kids who had to do a year of schooling at home and who are MORE interested in that “conventional” college experience. These are YOLO/FOMO kids we are talking about and they have missed out on a lot over the last year.

I have 2 teens - 1 is a college student who just finished (is almost finished with) her first year, and 1 who is a HS junior.  Both were forced to do online school this past year, at least part of the time.

My college kid actually decided she prefers doing college in her PJ's, first thing when she wakes up, from her laptop in bed.  The local college is fully open, but has on-campus, hybrid and fully online options - and she decided to continue doing fully online courses so she can continue working 40+ hours a week.

My HS kid is not going back to "regular school" in the fall but is going to continue with his online charter school next year.  He is able to sleep in, do his schoolwork ~2-3 hours a day, work 25 hours a week, work out with his buddies, and nap for 2-3 hours a day - all while playing 3 sports with their workouts and practices and whatnot.  There is NO WAY he could do all of that going to school 6+ hours a day + homework.  Oh - and he and his friends (who are also all online) don't have the usual "it's a school night" said to them.  We just kind of figure what's the difference between Tuesday night and Friday night?  He doesn't have to get up early to go to school, so he's fine. SO much more flexibility there.

So, some kids have FOMO, but plenty of others made the switch to online and found it to be preferable.  I wouldn't have believed it, as mine both hated online stuff when they were younger and we were homeschooling (actually they don't LOVE online, but then they don't LOVE school in the first place, so I guess it's the lesser of 2 evils).  Since many of my kids' friends are also going to continue with online schooling, I think this is a trend.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jch
(05-18-2021, 04:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 02:09 PM)freeloader Wrote: It is also the case that millions of 17-18 year old kids want the traditional college experience and they are the consumers of the product. If their desires change, maybe these things will come to pass. I think it is probably equally or more likely that their will be a strong reaction AGAINST online education by kids who had to do a year of schooling at home and who are MORE interested in that “conventional” college experience. These are YOLO/FOMO kids we are talking about and they have missed out on a lot over the last year.

I have 2 teens - 1 is a college student who just finished (is almost finished with) her first year, and 1 who is a HS junior.  Both were forced to do online school this past year, at least part of the time.

My college kid actually decided she prefers doing college in her PJ's, first thing when she wakes up, from her laptop in bed.  The local college is fully open, but has on-campus, hybrid and fully online options - and she decided to continue doing fully online courses so she can continue working 40+ hours a week.

My HS kid is not going back to "regular school" in the fall but is going to continue with his online charter school next year.  He is able to sleep in, do his schoolwork ~2-3 hours a day, work 25 hours a week, work out with his buddies, and nap for 2-3 hours a day - all while playing 3 sports with their workouts and practices and whatnot.  There is NO WAY he could do all of that going to school 6+ hours a day + homework.  Oh - and he and his friends (who are also all online) don't have the usual "it's a school night" said to them.  We just kind of figure what's the difference between Tuesday night and Friday night?  He doesn't have to get up early to go to school, so he's fine. SO much more flexibility there.

So, some kids have FOMO, but plenty of others made the switch to online and found it to be preferable.  I wouldn't have believed it, as mine both hated online stuff when they were younger and we were homeschooling (actually they don't LOVE online, but then they don't LOVE school in the first place, so I guess it's the lesser of 2 evils).  Since many of my kids' friends are also going to continue with online schooling, I think this is a trend.

I agree it all depends on the person. But there are other factors like what the student is studying is a huge one in my opinion.

The people I know majoring in sociology, psychology and marketing are digging the online courses. But the people I know majoring in Biology, Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering... not so much. As Bio/Chem Premed student I know put it "I'm ready to throw my computer out the window." and "I don't care how good the technology is, virtual labs are not the same."

My personal predication is that courses in the liberal arts discipline will see an increase in students wanting to do online courses. But a decrease in students in STEM fields wanting to online courses.
I have mixed views on diversity in schools but I think overall I'm for having more diversity in school as it is beneficial for society. 

When given the opportunity, people can succeed.  The alternative is people get discouraged, turn to crime, drugs, or just underperform their true potential.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-18-2021, 04:43 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 04:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I agree it all depends on the person. But there are other factors like what the student is studying is a huge one in my opinion.

The people I know majoring in sociology, psychology and marketing are digging the online courses. But the people I know majoring in Biology, Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering... not so much. As Bio/Chem Premed student I know put it "I'm ready to throw my computer out the window." and "I don't care how good the technology is, virtual labs are not the same."

My personal predication is that courses in the liberal arts discipline will see an increase in students wanting to do online courses. But a decrease in students in STEM fields wanting to online courses.

My college kid is planning on Surgical Tech as her major - but she's finishing up her GE's and pre-reqs before going.  Once she's in a program, she'll be 100% on-campus or in clinicals to do her courses.  She's fine with that, obviously.  It's the non-important stuff that she's good with doing online.

My HS kid already did all of his lab sciences, so he's fine with the online thing as well.  But if he had to take a science with lab, he'd probably opt for an in-person HS or college course.  If he ends up in college after graduation, he'll probably choose in-person since it won't be the same as what my daughter is doing.  He's thinking STEM for a degree, so in reality, he'd want the "fun" major courses on-campus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Pandemic Effect on Food Deserts Kal Di 6 910 04-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  You Versus Pandemic Inflation (What to Consider) Kal Di 14 1,808 03-16-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Xyxyfendz
  The Pandemic Effect Is... Kal Di 1 754 02-10-2022, 12:58 AM
Last Post: WilliamC340
Big Grin 2 COVID Vaccines Approved, End to Pandemic in Sight?? LevelUP 140 15,983 04-27-2021, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Alpha