Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online grads sue USC
The lawsuit isn't about ROI by paying $100K for tuition, if it was, then every school would be sued for offering English and History majors. It's about USC in-person vs online experience for payment. The tuition amount isn't relevant for the argument. Were the plaintiff(s) promised the same USC education online as they would receive in-person at the campus. From the article it appears they didn't receive the same USC education.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HogwartsSchool's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(12-24-2022, 03:20 PM)sanantone Wrote: Isn't the California State University system relatively cheap? Of course, it's not as prestigious as the UC system, but it's still decent. Private universities are expensive in every state, but some are very generous with scholarships and institutional grants.

Honestly even the UC system isn't really expensive. The problem is more getting accepted as a freshman, and paying for living expenses in places like Berkeley, UCLA, Santa Barbara, San Diego, and Santa Cruz.

Getting into the more popular CSUs is also a problem simply because they have so many applicants.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-26-2022, 01:45 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: The lawsuit isn't about ROI by paying $100K for tuition, if it was, then every school would be sued for offering English and History majors. It's about USC in-person vs online experience for payment. The tuition amount isn't relevant for the argument. Were the plaintiff(s) promised the same USC education online as they would receive in-person at the campus. From the article it appears they didn't receive the same USC education.

Paying $60k to $100k for an online master's degree isn't the norm. Hardly any college or university falls into that range of tuition. The lawsuit isn't really about quality; it's about USC misreporting the acceptance rate for its online program to U.S. News. The ranking is based on flawed data. Many would argue that U.S. News rankings don't directly measure quality; they measure reputation.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-26-2022, 05:29 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-26-2022, 01:45 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: The lawsuit isn't about ROI by paying $100K for tuition, if it was, then every school would be sued for offering English and History majors. It's about USC in-person vs online experience for payment. The tuition amount isn't relevant for the argument. Were the plaintiff(s) promised the same USC education online as they would receive in-person at the campus. From the article it appears they didn't receive the same USC education.

Paying $60k to $100k for an online master's degree isn't the norm. Hardly any college or university falls into that range of tuition. The lawsuit isn't really about quality; it's about USC misreporting the acceptance rate for its online program to U.S. News. The ranking is based on flawed data. Many would argue that U.S. News rankings don't directly measure quality; they measure reputation.

$60K to $100K is the norm for “top tier” universities. Which, in the grand scheme of things, is a very small number when looking at how many universities are in the United States.

I’d agree with your US News rankings testament…almost. If it were based solely on reputation, Harvard Business School and Stanford Graduate School of Business would always be ranked #1 and #2. However, I believe in the most recent, the University of Chicago Booth School of Business was #1 while HBS was somewhere around #5.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • ss20ts
(12-28-2022, 12:10 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:

$60K to $100K is the norm for “top tier” universities. Which, in the grand scheme of things, is a very small number when looking at how many universities are in the United States.

I’d agree with your US News rankings testament…almost. If it were based solely on reputation, Harvard Business School and Stanford Graduate School of Business would always be ranked #1 and #2. However, I believe in the most recent, the University of Chicago Booth School of Business was #1 while HBS was somewhere around #5.

The methodology for the online rankings is quite different from the methodology from the campus rankings. For on-campus rankings, they survey recruiters and the deans and directors of AACSB-accredited business schools. They also look at placement rates, starting salary, acceptance rate, GPA, and GRE/GMAT scores. I think one could make the argument that this is not a direct measure of quality. The more selective business schools have weeded out weak performers. 

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr...ethodology

The online rankings do look at factors that one could tie to quality, such as engagement, technology used to deliver courses, faculty credentials, and faculty having training to teach online. The two factors I don't think are related to quality are the opinions of academic professionals at high-ranking MBA programs and attributes of selected students. 

However, when you look at the specifics for "engagement," they don't actually measure engagement. They look at class size, deadline to complete degree, retention rate, and graduation rate. They also give extra points in the engagement category for having AACSB or ACBSP accreditation. 

https://www.usnews.com/education/online-...ethodology

Looking at the methodology for online education programs, since that is one of the programs mentioned in the lawsuit, the methodology isn't that different. They don't really measure engagement. The plaintiffs could win based on USC misreporting data, but if the primary complaint is not enough interaction with instructors, that's not something that U.S. News measures. 

In reference to being top tier, do you mean overall top tier or top tier within a particular category? U.S. shows the out-of-state tuition rate for online programs and in-state tuition for campus programs. A lot of the top-ranked education programs are relatively cheap.

https://www.usnews.com/education/online-...n/rankings

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sch...u-rankings
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • LevelUP
(12-23-2022, 12:59 PM)nomaduser Wrote: $100k for an online degree? that's crazy lol

Wouldn't matter if it were offline imo. Still would be crazy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(12-28-2022, 12:33 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 12:10 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:

The methodology for the online rankings is quite different from the methodology from the campus rankings. For on-campus rankings, they survey recruiters and the deans and directors of AACSB-accredited business schools. They also look at placement rates, starting salary, acceptance rate, GPA, and GRE/GMAT scores. I think one could make the argument that this is not a direct measure of quality. The more selective business schools have weeded out weak performers. 

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr...ethodology

The online rankings do look at factors that one could tie to quality, such as engagement, technology used to deliver courses, faculty credentials, and faculty having training to teach online. The two factors I don't think are related to quality are the opinions of academic professionals at high-ranking MBA programs and attributes of selected students. 

However, when you look at the specifics for "engagement," they don't actually measure engagement. They look at class size, deadline to complete degree, retention rate, and graduation rate. They also give extra points in the engagement category for having AACSB or ACBSP accreditation. 

Looking at the methodology for online education programs, since that is one of the programs mentioned in the lawsuit, the methodology isn't that different. They don't really measure engagement. The plaintiffs could win based on USC misreporting data, but if the primary complaint is not enough interaction with instructors, that's not something that U.S. News measures. 

In reference to being top tier, do you mean overall top tier or top tier within a particular category? U.S. shows the out-of-state tuition rate for online programs and in-state tuition for campus programs. A lot of the top-ranked education programs are relatively cheap.

https://www.usnews.com/education/online-...n/rankings

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sch...u-rankings
I think top-tier in particular categories, although it is usually similar schools in the top-tier of many categories.

I am one who believes value is in the eye of the beholder. Would you pay $70K for the degree I am pursuing at Duke? Probably not. In fact, most on this forum would not. However, I’d pay $100K for it were it priced as such. I find great value in the education, the network, and the personal satisfaction.

Now, would I pay $70K for a graduate degree in education or something outside of a STEM field? Not a chance. But that is because I do not see that adding value to my life. Someone else may and I certainly cannot fault them for that.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • ss20ts
(12-28-2022, 11:14 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I think top-tier in particular categories, although it is usually similar schools in the top-tier of many categories.

I am one who believes value is in the eye of the beholder. Would you pay $70K for the degree I am pursuing at Duke? Probably not. In fact, most on this forum would not. However, I’d pay $100K for it were it priced as such. I find great value in the education, the network, and the personal satisfaction.

Now, would I pay $70K for a graduate degree in education or something outside of a STEM field? Not a chance. But that is because I do not see that adding value to my life. Someone else may and I certainly cannot fault them for that.

And, I'd expect them not to complain about student loan debt or job opportunities. Not this particular article but many others are only written because people are complaining about debt for a degree that no one would expect to result in high earnings.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(12-23-2022, 07:31 PM)KSoul Wrote: Appreciate all of your points and even the mention of one of my favorite cost-value education degree offerings from ACE. The only thing I would mention is that a degree from USC, even if in teaching, through the alumni opens you up to considerably much higher income opportunities than, say, ACE or the countless cheap options shared in this forum.

I am not endorsing USC, and I have connections that have degrees from USC in business, law, social science, and education, with each of them living well even with our classically overpriced cost of living in Cali. I think the thread is stuck on the example: I earned a degree in teaching and only can work in teaching, and in that example, the only option for teaching should be the cheapest. However, if someone made the poor decision to choose to teach with big payday aspirations, USC would at least provide one to pivot in their career, leverage the alumni and secure a position that pays closer to one's income desires.

Complaining about ROI or income while being a teacher is a tired soapbox that no one listens to. (no one here is doing this; I am just reconnecting with the initial article)

I'm not sure that a USC master's in teaching opens you up to many opportunities to actually teach; and if it does, you are still 100% tied to the pay scale of the school you're teaching in; so really, it could only possibly open up opportunities to do something other than teaching.  But, I'm here to tell you, the online school is not giving you these same opportunities; USC alumni are generally snobs, and they're not going to be impressed with someone who wasn't walking around on campus for classes.

(12-24-2022, 03:20 PM)sanantone Wrote: Isn't the California State University system relatively cheap? Of course, it's not as prestigious as the UC system, but it's still decent. Private universities are expensive in every state, but some are very generous with scholarships and institutional grants.

The CSU-system schools have good reputations throughout the state; and it's less than $5000/semester for a master's degree.  The UC-system schools are $7-10k/semester, or $6k/quarter.

I would say that as an alumni of any of the UC or CSU schools, you will have just as easy of a time getting a teaching or social work job (or advancing) as someone from USC. Easily.  Going to a local CSU or UC in the area you are working in is MUCH easier to meet others in your field than doing the online USC degree for 1/10 to 1/5 of the price.  

And for an MSW, FT students get an $18k stipend from the state - so your degree is 100% paid for right off the bat if you choose your school wisely (and by wisely, I mean anything that costs less than $18k/yr).  This would apply to literally every state school in CA that has a program (there are 23 CSU's and 9 UC's).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-28-2022, 01:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 07:31 PM)KSoul Wrote: Appreciate all of your points and even the mention of one of my favorite cost-value education degree offerings from ACE. The only thing I would mention is that a degree from USC, even if in teaching, through the alumni opens you up to considerably much higher income opportunities than, say, ACE or the countless cheap options shared in this forum.

I am not endorsing USC, and I have connections that have degrees from USC in business, law, social science, and education, with each of them living well even with our classically overpriced cost of living in Cali. I think the thread is stuck on the example: I earned a degree in teaching and only can work in teaching, and in that example, the only option for teaching should be the cheapest. However, if someone made the poor decision to choose to teach with big payday aspirations, USC would at least provide one to pivot in their career, leverage the alumni and secure a position that pays closer to one's income desires.

Complaining about ROI or income while being a teacher is a tired soapbox that no one listens to. (no one here is doing this; I am just reconnecting with the initial article)

I'm not sure that a USC master's in teaching opens you up to many opportunities to actually teach; and if it does, you are still 100% tied to the pay scale of the school you're teaching in; so really, it could only possibly open up opportunities to do something other than teaching.  But, I'm here to tell you, the online school is not giving you these same opportunities; USC alumni are generally snobs, and they're not going to be impressed with someone who wasn't walking around on campus for classes.

I get your general position on USC and appreciate your opinion on USC graduates being snobs. Since the numbers show teachers leave the industry at a high percentage, leveraging the alums can matter if you are open to opportunities outside the classroom. I have read multiple times about the online vs. campus issue, and as with all of us here, it is rare that the question of online even comes up. I've spent time on the USC campus as a non-graduate, and you can establish the relationships needed with enough effort. If your talent backs your interest, opportunities will always be getable. You nailed the income opportunities if someone stays in teaching for Califonia. I am considering outside options in teaching through corporate training, where there are considerably higher pay-scale opportunities to tap into. 
Side note– my USC colleague are not snobs; however, I have met snobs who happen to have graduated from USC.  Big Grin
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "ACCREDITED CHEAPEST MASTERS" in the WORLD. +Online Degree Geonho Lee 12 825 23 minutes ago
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Need Help Choosing an Online MBA Program coolvodka89@gmail.com 5 244 09-24-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 31 12,506 09-23-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Geonho Lee
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 905 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Need Help Choosing an Online MBA Program iamsam 8 570 09-15-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: HoustonGuy
  FHSU to offer MLS in Philosophy Online? MFG 9 1,097 08-27-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 54 38,326 08-27-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Thoughts on LABASAD - Creative Online Masters - Escuela de Diseño Online magm 1 450 08-21-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Cheap online MSSE or MSI? evenFair23 1 374 08-17-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 12 2,671 08-12-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: frankc