Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Masters in Computer Science + thesis?
Hi all,
I recently graduated from WGU with a BSCS (I previously made a post about this, thanks for the help) and now I want to get a masters in CS with the goal of getting into research and possibly pursuing a phd.
I ideally am looking for an online option that allows for completing a thesis.
I've seen reports of people being able to do a thesis in OMSCS but it seems very unlikely.
I've also heard that doing a thesis or even previous research experience isn't necessarily a requirement for being able to do a phd.

So ideally I am looking for an online, highly reputable university and relatively affordable(if possible) with a thesis option.

Thanks.
Basically, my recommendation is to do the Masters at WGU and then decide to 'upgrade' that to something such as OMSCS afterwards. You may want to do the balanced mix/match trifecta I mentioned in many of my posts. At such a young age, you need to have a well rounded application that shows your strong points.

For reference, your previous thread with some info on your journey: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...nt-UMPI-MS
An example of what I would recommend is in post #3 here, and the link it points you to: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...t-over-MBA
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Quick update, I ended up applying and getting accepted to UT Austin's MSCSO program for this fall semester.
[-] The following 3 users Like swellguy's post:
  • davewill, fmsoa, Jonathan Whatley
(07-01-2024, 03:43 PM)swellguy Wrote: Quick update, I ended up applying and getting accepted to UT Austin's MSCSO program for this fall semester.

Congratulations! And please keep us posted. This could be a great option to know more about for others in your wake.
Great stuff! Congratulations on getting into UT Austin! Just wondering... Did you try applying to Georgia Tech as well?

Quite a lot of WGU CS graduates go to OMSCS. You can check that as well. Georgia Tech CS program is one of the best in the world.
Finished: University of Derby - Computing & IT Bsc Hons

In progress: OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership

Planning: MBA Top-up
I didn't end up applying to Georgia Tech, because I missed the deadline for the fall semester.
Heart 
(07-01-2024, 03:43 PM)swellguy Wrote: Quick update, I ended up applying and getting accepted to UT Austin's MSCSO program for this fall semester.

Congrats! Did you happen to complete any Sophia or ACE credits before WGU? If so, how did you list them on your application?
(05-04-2024, 06:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, my recommendation is to do the Masters at WGU and then decide to 'upgrade' that to something such as OMSCS afterwards.
OP, do not get two master’s degrees in computer science. Maybe one in comp sci and one in cyber, or some other difference like that. I’ve sat on committees reviewing resumes in the IT field. This isn’t really a flex. Sure, you can leave one off your resume, but our organization has an employment form where you would still be expected to disclose it. I know your original question was which CS programs include a thesis. I don’t have an answer, but hopefully somebody else does.
It really depends on the scenario and what situation they're in, I still think getting a quick WGU Masters (MS ITM or MSCIA, etc), then focus on your MSCS at UT-Austin or GT, you want to keep your options open, having the first Masters under your belt will open doors. Adding a second Masters in a different field, opens doors in that arena... I would skip the WGU Masters if it's identical or too close to your 'dream Masters', at this point, it's not that related as one is in Business Management of IT and the other is Cybersecurity, or something else WGU offers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "ACCREDITED CHEAPEST MASTERS" in the WORLD. +Online Degree Geonho Lee 12 817 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  European Center for Education in Business and Science (ECEBiS) Travis_CVUgrad 0 114 09-25-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Travis_CVUgrad
  Need Help Choosing an Online MBA Program coolvodka89@gmail.com 5 244 09-24-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 31 12,506 09-23-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Geonho Lee
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 905 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Need Help Choosing an Online MBA Program iamsam 8 570 09-15-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: HoustonGuy
  New Boston U MS Data Science $25K smartdegree 10 907 09-12-2024, 08:05 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  FHSU to offer MLS in Philosophy Online? MFG 9 1,096 08-27-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 54 38,319 08-27-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Thoughts on LABASAD - Creative Online Masters - Escuela de Diseño Online magm 1 450 08-21-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Avidreader