Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Course Provider 2U (edX) Faces Doubts It Can Continue ($900 Million in debt)
Shocked 
Online Course Provider 2U Faces Doubts It Can Continue (Inside Higher Ed)

Quote:Financially struggling 2U, one of the largest online course providers, has warned of “substantial doubt” it can continue in business, creating uncertainty for the hundreds of colleges and universities that use its services. [...]

The warning, in a quarterly filing on Monday, added more tumult to the already-uncertain landscape for online program management firms, or OPMs.
At the end of last year, 2U had more than $900 million in debt. According to the earnings report, if 2U cannot raise capital or amend or refinance its loan, which the company has already begun to do, there is “substantial doubt about its ability to continue as a going concern.” [...]

2U works with more than 250 higher ed institutions and partners. Inside Higher Ed reached out to a dozen that work with 2U, most of which did not respond to requests for comment. Representatives from Pepperdine University and the University of California, Berkeley, declined to comment. [...]

He pointed toward Academic Partnerships and Grand Canyon Education, both growing in the space, as potential buyers for 2U. Others have suggested a private equity firm, as those firms are used to acquiring debt. [...]

2U is one of the largest in the space, launching in 2008 and hitting a peak with the acquisition of industry giant edX in 2021. [...]

...a potential delisting of 2U on the NASDAQ stock exchange could be a catalyst for universities to cut ties. If a company’s stock price is below $1 for 30 days, the company receives a notice of delisting. It then has 180 days to raise the stock price, which could be as simple as a reverse stock split, which would boost the price. As of Feb. 13, 2U’s stock price was 57 cents per share.

This has the potential to cause massive disruption with online learning platforms.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ares's post:
  • Darknigh7
This could seriously fudge a lot of programs up. Like royally fudge them up. I always thought it was a horrible idea for edX to be sold. If it was going to be sold, it should have been sold to a college not what's basically a for profit investment company. Man, this could really mess up a lot of people. I've been eyeballing a master's certificate on there for a college that's a big deal in my area, I'm glad now I have held off. I'll have to wait and see how this shakes out before spending a few grand on the program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jch
Oh Snap, I wrote about that a month or two ago... Maybe it should have been better EdX or another company acquired 2U (or another institution that acquired them) instead of the other way around...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • EE-AE-Engineer
I personally think OPMs are a scourge to the online education field. While yes, it will massively screw things up for the OPM-run programs, it might also bring more awareness to the whole not-so-great industry.

I sort of figured this out when I was looking through all the accredited online social work programs. I noticed that three or four schools had websites that were nearly identical... looked further, and they were all websites unique to the school's online programs... did some more digging and discovered 2U was behind all of them.

Not coincidentally, the tuition at all the online programs run by 2U were about double the cost of the non-OPM programs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • jch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Costs Over $10 Million in Opportunity Cost to Go to College LevelUP 1 28 11 minutes ago
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  Online Linear Algebra Course (Except SNHU) sjdkn1 2 126 Yesterday, 11:53 AM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 30 6,682 04-28-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 976 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,473 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 360 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 493 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,628 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 420 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,768 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM