Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now that I am finished...
I find it hard to sit down and read a book primarily for entertainment purposes. I went to the library yesterday planning to read all the books I missed out on due to studying for all those tests. I had a list of books that would take my mind to a happy place. What did I walk out with? Books like - A People Betrayed: The Role of the West in Rwanda's Genocide.

Not exactly light reading. I walked out of the library with 6 books and 2 movies. The movies were both documentaries. Yeah....

I have only finished one fiction book since finishing up my degree requirements. By this time I should have finished half my list. The one book I finally read was Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Highly recommend it! I should be reading more for enjoyment though.

I am wondering when my brain will realize that I am done studying.
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
I empathize with you as I am going through the same thing. I used to enjoy playing an occasional game on the computer but I of course banned them until I finished my masters degree; I even went so far as buying two new ones as a reward to myself after I finished.

Needless to say the last thing I want to do after all the hours of researching and paper writing is sit behind the computer...the games are still in their unopened boxes.

Its been almost a year now and I still don't feel any desire to spend more time behind the computer other than e-mails, news and this forum. Hopefully you'll fair better at this than I did.
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
April,

I understand what you are saying. I too am finding it hard to settle back into the life I had before all the studying for tests and taking courses.

I think that is part of the reason I am researching Masters degree's, as I just do not know what else to do. In all honesty I am not excited about the thought of more courses but at least that feels familiar right now.

I wonder if all of our feelings are not some kind of withdrawal symptom. Like we work so hard to achieve the goal of the degree, that there is a void left once that goal is reached.

How have others here filled that void ?

Peace123
april004 Wrote:I find it hard to sit down and read a book primarily for entertainment purposes.

The one book I finally read was Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Highly recommend it! I should be reading more for enjoyment though.

I love Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell!!!! It is one of my favorites. I thought I was the only one who had read it - it's kinda like studying a little bit. Not exactly a fluffy chick-lit read. I have another recommendation that you might like - The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]Thomas Edison State College BSBA - 6/10
Excelsior College BS Liberal Arts - 9/10

Amberton MBA - 12/13 [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
peace123 Wrote:April,

I understand what you are saying. I too am finding it hard to settle back into the life I had before all the studying for tests and taking courses.

I think that is part of the reason I am researching Masters degree's, as I just do not know what else to do. In all honesty I am not excited about the thought of more courses but at least that feels familiar right now.

I wonder if all of our feelings are not some kind of withdrawal symptom. Like we work so hard to achieve the goal of the degree, that there is a void left once that goal is reached.

How have others here filled that void ?

Peace123

Its a good time to knock it out if you were ever planning to. You have concrete study habits and the discipline to stay on track. You'll probably have the same feeling after that one too but at least you'll have the degree under your belt! Good Luck
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
So...whatever happened with that med student who was so "supportive" of your alternative method of earning a degree?
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
I have only finished one fiction book since finishing up my degree requirements. By this time I should have finished half my list. The one book I finally read was Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Highly recommend it! I should be reading more for enjoyment though.
>>

LOL I can SO relate! Honestly, I am mostly a non fiction and documentary person, however, it's gotten worse lol. When I studied for American Lit CLEP there were a lot of books I jotted down to read later (fiction) but I still have a hard time. I tried to read Sherlock Holmes, wow that's kinda hard to follow actually. I did end up reading Uncle Tom's Cabin though. If you want to read anything classic/old, go to Gutenberg book store books ebook authors at guttenberg.org for free
barcotta Wrote:So...whatever happened with that med student who was so "supportive" of your alternative method of earning a degree?

Oh..he is actually a postdoc in human genetics. We are dating now. Wink Well ,officially boyfriend/girlfriend. When I rc'd my graduation packet he took me out to celebrate. I actually told him no,he didn't have to but he told me it was an important milestone. So we celebrated with yummy pumpkin pie martinis. Now he is trying to talk me into going to graduation. He thinks it would be good for me to walk across that stage. Still thinking about that one.

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
april004 Wrote:I find it hard to sit down and read a book primarily for entertainment purposes.

:confused: Reading a book for entertainment and not learning? I don't understand. Wink

This has been my somewhat permanent condition for some years now. I find that life is more rewarding when you take learning and work seriously instead of constantly chasing distractions, so I don't really read fiction anymore.

Excepting of course those times when Jeff Lindsay pushes out another Dexter book. Rolleyes
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
jadechow Wrote:I love Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell!!!! It is one of my favorites. I thought I was the only one who had read it - it's kinda like studying a little bit. Not exactly a fluffy chick-lit read. I have another recommendation that you might like - The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Well definately check it out. I will make myself get it at the library and bypass all nonfiction on my next visit there.

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finished Beauty School! Onto Bachelor's Degree! sweetcrabhoney 5 1,743 10-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Last Post: KayV
  Finished management history with a 99% ryoder 4 1,294 08-16-2011, 05:36 AM
Last Post: ryoder
  Finished all 3 National Fire Academy ACE classes today brothert69 4 1,338 07-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Last Post: alleycat